Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Bullitt Mustang that I’ve owned for approximately 8 years. When I purchased the car it had a Saleen supercharger. I bought it from a dealership, so it was California smog compliant.
The car has always passed smog until two years ago. I have never modified the car since purchasing it. I was referred to the California smog referee, who told me the reason it was not passing is because the exhaust monitors are turned off. I asked why the car had always previously passed smog and he told me that occasionally California updates its smog compliance system and probably the computer didn’t catch that the exhaust monitors were off before.
I’ve taken the car to my regular mechanic who reset the computer to stock. However, the check engine light is on now.
Prior to this, I took the car to another shop located in the High Desert that specializes in tuning computers. I was told that they could reset the computer so that it was the same as before only with the exhaust monitors on, but that the check engine light would probably come on.
I live in the High Desert and I’m approximately 200 miles away from Los Angeles. I need to find a shop that can reset the tune properly for me and hopefully the car will pass smog. I am open to any suggestions that would steer me in the right direction.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had a similar issue a long time ago with a Bama (American Muscle tune). Basically their "Race" tune disabled the O2 senors so when the emission shop plugged in they couldn't read anything. I reset to stock and was fine. At the time I had no real modifications that would prevent me from having a stock tune.

Your issue resetting to "stock" is that you probably have quite a few things going on with the engine, least of all being the supercharger. So if you're really reset to stock you will probably always have a check engine light. What you really need now is a quality tune that keeps all the monitors and systems working. If you have a full list of mods there are probably a couple companies that can do a remote tune halfway decent enough for you. With my current supercharged setup I pass emissions no problem on a tune from Brenspeed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a similar issue a long time ago with a Bama (American Muscle tune). Basically their "Race" tune disabled the O2 senors so when the emission shop plugged in they couldn't read anything. I reset to stock and was fine. At the time I had no real modifications that would prevent me from having a stock tune.

Your issue resetting to "stock" is that you probably have quite a few things going on with the engine, least of all being the supercharger. So if you're really reset to stock you will probably always have a check engine light. What you really need now is a quality tune that keeps all the monitors and systems working. If you have a full list of mods there are probably a couple companies that can do a remote tune halfway decent enough for you. With my current supercharged setup I pass emissions no problem on a tune from Brenspeed.
Thanks so much for the info. I don’t have a full list of mods. My regular mechanic was just trying to see if resetting the stock monitors would work.
I don’t know of a quality shop in So Cal that I can take it to. Someone recommended Gaplin Ford but they’re 200mil from me. I hadn’t thought of Brenspeed. I think I’ll contact them and see what they recommend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
411 Posts
exhaust monitors?
i would assume the rear O2 sensors were turned off and they have been removed from the car. the catalytic converts might have been removed also.

my guess is you need to get the rear O2 sensors turned on. install rear o2 sensors and then probably install non foulers between the X pipe and the sensor if you don't have converters.
if you have converters you might get by with installing rear O2 sensors and drive the car.

here is a youtube video about non foulers and rear O2 sensors.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I moved Outta So Cal 14 yrs ago just cuz of smog & all the other stupid taxes & fees. I love E Texas ! I love no smog inspection they check Y'alls lights & brakes & for a busted windshield. Imagine a SAFTEY inspection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Bullitt Mustang that I’ve owned for approximately 8 years. When I purchased the car it had a Saleen supercharger. I bought it from a dealership, so it was California smog compliant.
The car has always passed smog until two years ago. I have never modified the car since purchasing it. I was referred to the California smog referee, who told me the reason it was not passing is because the exhaust monitors are turned off. I asked why the car had always previously passed smog and he told me that occasionally California updates its smog compliance system and probably the computer didn’t catch that the exhaust monitors were off before.
I’ve taken the car to my regular mechanic who reset the computer to stock. However, the check engine light is on now.
Prior to this, I took the car to another shop located in the High Desert that specializes in tuning computers. I was told that they could reset the computer so that it was the same as before only with the exhaust monitors on, but that the check engine light would probably come on.
I live in the High Desert and I’m approximately 200 miles away from Los Angeles. I need to find a shop that can reset the tune properly for me and hopefully the car will pass smog. I am open to any suggestions that would steer me in the right direction.
Please keep us updated with the progress on your car. I also have an 08 Bullitt in HG, and live in high desert. I was hoping to get a little more power out of my car, but everyone tells me it will not pass smog. Good luck with your car. FYI, I will be attending this Saturday, from 9:00 am - 12:00 noon, The Detail Guys in Victotville Rides & Coffee car show, weather permitting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I contacted Brenspeed and spoke to Doug, he asked for pictures of the engine bay so that he could get an idea of the mods and maybe provide a tune. The car was already modified when I bought it so I’m not sure of all the mods. My mechanic tells me the cats exhaust sensors are still there.
As of yesterday I had to PNO the registration because starting this year, CA. won’t let you even let you pay the current registration fees till the car passes smog😡
Victorville Details Guys? maybe I’ll go. I’ll be in a 68 el camino, yellow. We could talk more.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please keep us updated with the progress on your car. I also have an 08 Bullitt in HG, and live in high desert. I was hoping to get a little more power out of my car, but everyone tells me it will not pass smog. Good luck with your car. FYI, I will be attending this Saturday, from 9:00 am - 12:00 noon, The Detail Guys in Victotville Rides & Coffee car show, weather permitting
I contacted Brenspeed and spoke to Doug, he asked for pictures of the engine bay so that he could get an idea of the mods and maybe provide a tune. The car was already modified when I bought it so I’m not sure of all the mods. My mechanic tells me the cats exhaust sensors are still there.
As of yesterday I had to PNO the registration because starting this year, CA. won’t let you even let you pay the current registration fees till the car passes smog😡
Victorville Details Guys? maybe I’ll go. I’ll be in a 68 el camino, yellow. We could talk more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Vic. This is Rob. We met at the Fabulous Fords Forever show in Irwindale last Sunday. Any luck talking with the Saleen folks at the show?
Hey Vic. This is Rob. We met at the Fabulous Fords Forever show in Irwindale last Sunday. Any luck talking with the Saleen folks at the show?
I did speak to their Tech adviser at the show, unfortunately he said that there was any advise he could give because the supercharger wasn’t installed by them. He recommended that I try to find a local Mustang specialty shop, that could evaluate the car.
On the positive side, I spoke with Doug at Brenspeed again, and he was been very helpful. He had me look to see what kind of fuel delivery system and what size of pulley belt is on the supercharger. This will help them design a tune for the car.

·
Registered
2019 DHG K6580
24 Posts
Good to hear. Brenspeed seems to be at the forefront in boosted S197's. Too bad Saleen was less than helpful. Sure doesn't make me want to look into any of their products.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts