Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez, I love this thing. I was coming up the West Valley Highway today, and some gangsta punk came up in a souped-up Firebird and gave me the "nod". I am fairly easy-going, (and pay higher than "normal" insurance rates) so I let him do all the work. He punched it through the yellow, so I had to too (maintaining my proper representation of us Bullitt owners!) I screwed up by dropping into 3rd from 4th without enough RPM's and he pulled away. But when I dropped it into 2nd, God help the Fire Chicken ! I squeeked the tires and off like a bat into hell and by the time I hit 3rd we were neck and neck. When I hit 4th, I was doing 95, (in a 50) and he was in my rear view. I don't know where I ended up, but clearly over 100mph. Just wanted to let everyone know, If you got it, use it ! VVVVVVRRROOOOOOOOOOOOM

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,031 Posts
Kurt, Great Story! I bet you suprised the pants off him when you caught back up to him! I like that: FIRECHICKEN. I've never heard that used before! :cool:

Vicki

·
Registered
81 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
...But when I dropped it into 2nd, God help the Fire Chicken !
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry, but that statement cracked me up. I'm going to wake up my son if I don't stop laughing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kurt, I wondered what that black flash was today as I drove south on the West Valley Freeway - LOL.

Actually, I was on the freeway heading south around 2:30 going to the ocean today. The valley and I-5 were moving at about 70mph, but once we got onto the Olympic Pennisula traffic was flowing about 80mph and I made a few 110-120mph passes around the "slower" cars on the road. Nobody was up for a race, though, today.

I sure am glad for both of us that no one in our service department reads bullittclub or BON, otherwise you and I might be out of luck for warranty drivetrain repairs! LOL

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a question to everyone that says they beat this car or that car on the road. How do you know that he was still racing you when you pulled ahead. I will play with other drivers but a lot of times they pick the wrong place to race either high traffic or along the freeway where cops sit. So I will back of around 90. I really like both cars (as I own one of each) and hope not to catch to much flack for this, but on my very FIRST time to the track (pomona) in my stock firebird I got a 13.86. The bullitt will go next time. I will also say if you where racing an A4(as my car is) and the other driver did not down shift (as in the Bullitt its a lot easier and more responsive) the firebirds are slow on the automatic down shifting at higher speeds. Also you say this car was heavily moded? How do you know that? Dual exhaust..there are V6 that come stock with dual exhaust. Ram-Air hood...aftermarket hoods (do you know how to spot a WS6? Most people think mine is one but its not.) And at freeway speeds I don’t think you got out and looked under the hood.

Again like I said I am a Bullitt owner and I really do like the car. But I have seen posts like this from both sides of the fence. I don’t believe street racing is a true test of which car is faster unless your out in the middle of now place and you know exactly what the other car is.

So study up on Firechickens (normally I only have heard the V6's called that) and know what you are going up against V6, V6 with sport appearance(dual exhaust and ground effects), Formula (looks like a V6 but normally wider tires and larger dual exhaust), WS6 Formula, Firehawk Formula, TransAm, WS6 TransAm, Firehawk TransAm. As you know with all WS6, Firehawks, Cobras, Roush, Bullitts and any others you never know if its cosmetic or real with out pulling over checking it over.

2001 Bullitt DHG #3033
1998 Formula Firebird

·
Registered
568 Posts
Where I come from (Northwest IN) a Firechicken is any TA that has the Screaming Eagle graphic on the hood. When I first moved to Eastern NY, my neighbor had a 79 TA with the eagle & all his buddies jokingly called it the Firechicken.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I back up Gregg on this one..If you have a stock Bullitt & A "Souped up" Firechicken..I really need to know what year it was??..I think the "Firechicken" with an auto wins 9 out of 10 times...Just face the facts a 98-2001 FireBirds V-8 are dynoing between 298rwhp to 330rwhp basically stock..So what does a Bullitt dyno at 240 maybe??

Dan(Proud owner of a Fast Firechicken)

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Dan,
The Bullitt is rated at 265HP, but most posts I've read are anywhere from 267 to 280HP

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geez guys, I didn't mean to stir up the pot ! Congrats to you guys that have the fast GM products, it's just if I find ya, you've got a race on your hands. My wife had a Thunderbird we used to call a "Thunder Chicken" !

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think Dan is right with his numbers.
Bullitt: RWHP: 230-240 FWHP 260-270
TransAm: RWHP 290-310 FWHP 350-375(Im not 100% on FWHP numbers)
If my numbers are incorrect please let me know

When Ford says 260 they are not going off the wheels. I have pulled the bullitts dyno # from this form from people who have dynod.

Again the only good test is on the track with stock cars. Witch I hope to do someday with my two cars. I will drive one and my dad will drive the other and then we will switch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's right Northern ! It really gets down to a matter of pride ! Sure if HP is all you care about, there is a Viper I read about that has 800HP ! That will kick any bullitt or GM ass ! I just love to see the :0 on the faces of people I blow away in my bullitt that don't know what is under the hood or in the torque !

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i too feel a 'disturbance" in the force
(gregg & dan),..knickers in a twist boys?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I would just like to restate I do own a Bullitt, I really like the car from looks to the sound to the feel. If I had to do a road course and had my two cars to choose from I would take the Bullitt. If it is a straight line race I would take the Firebird. Im just really glad that I have two great cars to choose from and to play with.

BUT the question I originally asked was how did you know the Firebird was heavily moded just driving down the street and how do you know that he didn't back of at 85 to 90 and that is why you pulled away. To me that would not be a race of cars but a race of balls or chicken. You should be proud of yourself (if breaking the law is something to be proud of :grin: )

On another note I am making side vents for the C-pillers. They will be individual pieces about 6-7 of them and held on with double sided tape (something like what holds side molding on). I was concerned about them blowing off but then I looked at a 68 and they don't scoop forward they scoop back. I just don't want to drill holes or anything into the C-pillers. I have made clay mock ups and will place a post for them in a few days. My wife likes them and she is pretty picky about what I do to the car.

2001 Bullitt #3033 DHG
1998 Formula Firebird Ram-Air Mystic Teal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts