Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cool and true story!
the guy across the hall from me here at work is from Chicago and drove home for Thanksgiving (from St. Louis)
Driving back home from Chicago Sunday, he was just North of Springfield and saw a Trooper on an overpass pointing the "gun" down at oncoming traffic. he slowed down but the guy in front of him didn't. after they went under the overpass, in his rearview mirror, he saw a dark Mustang coming down the on ramp very quickly. it passed him and pulled right in front of him and pulled over the guy who hadn't slowed down.
my coworker said he was amazed to see it was a Bullitt that the Trooper was driving. it had 5 antenae on it and flashing lights INSIDE the vehicle.
now at 1st, i was skeptical saying "are you sure it was a Bullitt?"
but he looked at me and said "Marty, i see your car every day in the lot, i see your posters and pics in your office, and i see the screensaver on your computer....EVERY day!! i think i can recognize a Bullitt by now"
anyone else seen or heard of State Troopers using a Bullitt in Illinois?

2001 Bullitt DHG #648
Ford Racing Alum. Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, K & N Filter,
MGW LTD-All custom Satin Bullitt Bits & Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-11-27 14:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
More than likely a GT. It's very unlikely they'd use a vehicle with a 5 speed. State police here use Mustang GT's. Don't forget the Torq-thrust wheels are an option on them too and it'd be easy to confuse it for a Bullitt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A few months ago, also driving from St. Louis to Chicago, I got pulled over by a 6 speed SS doing 83 in a 65.

Luckily, he let me go (I was in the famly van with the family).

·
Registered
111 Posts
thats really dangerous. i would surely try to race it and get busted big time

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Damn!! Illinois is sure getting sneaky! Up north here around Chicago they have a few older SN95 Mustangs cruising around, a bunch of Mercury Grand Marquis, as well as a few Camaro's and Ford Explorer's doing Highway duty.. And get this.. A few of the unmarked cars.. Have Vanity plates.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bloomfield Hills, MI has a Z06. So, I believe that it could have been a Bullitt. I imagine that if the guy noticed it was a Bullitt, it would have been from the rear badging and differences in the body, as the wheels would have been turning too fast for him to tell which ones it had.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tend to agree Bill,.....barry you could be right BUT everyone i work with already has seen WAY TOO MUCH Bullitt stuff (as far as they're concerned)in my office and this guy also often parks next to me in our lot! i think he'd recognize the difference BUT you never know...it could have been a GT too.
still, it's interesting to hear all you guys tell stories about high perfomance Cop cars you've seen!

HEY CAM!!! what's the most HP car you've seen in Ohio??

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The highway patrol in the Vancouver area uses 6-spd SS's. Mean machines, all decked out in cop badging and a light bar! Makes the hood scoop look menacing.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
A Z06? Thats just crazy :eek: Why the hell do they need that? I hope they didn't buy it. Thats almost as bad as one of the local police departments down here running their cars at Speedworld.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Marty, OSP (Ohio State Patrol) only gets Crown Vics and Explorers but they do get some Camaros and Vettes on title fraud cases they come across. Last I hear they had thre Vettes and I think 4-6 Camaros. The one Camaro I saw several years ago was a late 80- early 90 with T-tops and it was RED!!! Z-28 IROC. They've toyed with getting Mustangs in the past but they get shot down in the end. I know Ricart Ford (MegaMall) in Columbus had a Lombroghini made up in a police package!! I'd say that would take the cake for highest HP in a "police" car!!
Ohio doesn't have unmarked patrol cars. When I was out in Ill this summer that was all I saw (unmarked) in Indiana. And several years ago on my way back from Kansas that was all I saw in Missouri.
Cam

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Abbotsford P.D. has a VW Bug all marked up, with a light bar and everything. Just a promotional car. :smile:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here in Illinois on top of the Camaros and Mustangs, I've seen unmarked Luminas and the best one of all was an early '90s F-series, unmarked with the lights inside.

When I used to live in Michigan I had seen 93-95 unmarked SHO's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Oklahoma Highway Patrol used to have notchback Mustangs for pursuit vehicles. They did a big news story on them. Pretty cool cars. About a year and a half ago I was pulled over by an OHP in a Camaro all done up in black and white with a big light bar. I didn't like the ticket, but I loved the way the car looked.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
California went to the Mustangs back in the late 70's early 80's because every punk kid had a faster car. A Toyota ran from Eureka to San Francisco and they could not stop him. If it was not for the air patrol, they would have not been able to eventually catch him;-)... After that I started seeing and reading about the high Horse Power Mustangs that the California Highway Patrol was getting;-)... Very KEWL looking but not when you were speeding<G>.

Bud

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-27 15:20, barry bullitt wrote:
More than likely a GT. It's very unlikely they'd use a vehicle with a 5 speed. State police here use Mustang GT's. Don't forget the Torq-thrust wheels are an option on them too and it'd be easy to confuse it for a Bullitt.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

All of the California Highway Patrol's Mustangs they used to drive had 5 speeds.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Illinois did have one. I've seen them use a Ford pickup with a camper for radar duty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For years the California Highway Patrol utilized manual transmission Mustangs. our agency had two of them that were used by the traffic division. Made for some interesting pursuits.........

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
The few FHP Mustangs that are left go for big money at the auctions. A buddy of mine tried to get one for a long time, but South Americans would come in and outbid everybody. He ended up buying one wrecked from a cop out in Ormond Beach. That guy had bought a couple of them and messed this one up pretty bad.

As for all the other police vehicles patrolling the streets these days, it's hard to say what they have. I've seen Z28's, trucks, SUVs, marked, unmarked, everything, but never a Z06 :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts