Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to up with ideas on how to lighten this car up, has any done anything to accomplish this yet? I am not going to remove my interior, but I have thought of hood,trunk,suspension mods to help. Anyone know how much our wheels weigh?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I also have thought about putting my Bullitt on a diet. I found a great link that discusses doing just that with a '92 GT, not the same car but it has love handles in about all the same places. http://www.motortecmag.com/archives/2001/jun/JUN01-04/JUN010401.html

Be sure and follow part 1,2, and 3 as each has good points.

If you are REALLY serious about weight in addition to the above artice you could eliminate the A/C (20 lbs), move to manual steering (30 lbs), and replace the clutch/flywheel (30 lbs). These with the above links changes should remove about 210 lbs! But they are a little extreme for a car I am still making payments on.

I really like the reversal of the diminishing returns rule and the fact that a pound off helps ALL aspects of performance, not just 1/4 miles.

1,169 Posts
Is it even worth putting a Bullitt on a diet?The Bullitt weights 32XX lbs.That's not bad.If i remember right for every 100 lbs you remove you gain 1 tenth in the 1/4. If you are truning your Bullitt in to a serious race car then it's worth the diet.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You can get mileage out of the wheels.
Performance-wise, reducing unsprung weight will really help.

Glass or CF hoods, removing interior motors and speakers. If you want to go nuts... strip the interior. More? Aluminum block.

But I want to drive a car... not a tin can.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I autocross not dragrace, so 1/4 mile times aren't my thing. I want to find out what I can do to lighten the car up to improve handling. Everything I read says the Bullitt weighs 3700 lbs. As far as I know the last Stangs to weigh 3200 lbs was 93 and under 94 and up weighs 3500 lbs. From what I have read our cars weigh more than a SVT Cobra Convertable. I was at the Autocross about a month ago and this bone stock ZX3 Focus was 3 seconds faster than me. As far as F stock went I was only a second off the pace and he had Stickies on. I have autocross experince and it was my first time out in the Bullitt. I normally run a ZX3 right along side the other one, time wise. I also have no desire to strip the car bare, I would of bought a race car if I wanted that. Also whoever said taking off the power steering would lighten it up by 20lbs needs a new scale.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Be careful what you read. MM&FF put the weight at 3900 w/driver, they made a huge mistake. Owners here have weighed their cars at a tick over 3300 w/some fuel, if I'm not mistake.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
According to the manufacturer the power to manual steering change results in just over 30lbs reduction.. however that is coming from the people trying to sell you the manual steering. Not trying to be argumentative, just sourcing my information.

http://www.flaming-river.com/

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
More than the weight, the main reason I went with a manual rack in my 88 Coupe was to get rid of a power robbing accessory. Not an option here :grin: I like the power brakes

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologize, Most of what I have read says that the stang is heavier ever since 94. I will have to weigh it.
I build the 4.6 that goes in the Explorer and the pump itself probably weighs 3lbs and the rack is one piece? I don't see the weight and whats this about power brakes? removing the p.s. affects the power brakes?
Compare the Bullitt to my ZX3 and it feels more than 700lbs heavier when driving. The Bullitt handles tons better than the Stock 2001 GT, thats why I bought it. I hope to find a way to improve on it. :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
They have no vacuum brake booster, there's no room for it. The use a power assist off the PS. I guess you could go with manual brakes :smile:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My invoice shows 3152lbs as the shipping weight. I am going to get it weighed this weekend. Thanks for everyone helps.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have seen articles talking about 50lbs in each bumpers. Can this be removed while still retaining the stock look? If so how difficult is this?

Bone Bare Stock

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: llama_boy on 2001-09-25 19:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have looked into "lighting" up the Bullitt, but nobody makes the Philly undercarriage flourencent blue lights for it yet!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I saw a Cobra R backseat delete kit for sale. The pics looked very professional. I'm not sure how much weight that would save but every little bit helps and it looks like you could easly replace the rear seat at a later date if needed.

I'm curious about the weight distribution. I have read that it heavly favor the nose. Would taking the rearseat out then just make that worse? If so, would that defeat the weight savings by making a good launch even more difficult?

hmm... so many questions, so many people with great experience to answer them. I love this web site!

DenseCharger in the mail (somewhere)

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I weighed my Bullitt last night and it came to 3500 lbs with me and about 9 gallons of gas. I weigh 200, minus 55 or 60 lbs for gas the car weighs 3250. I was really surprised what I read in MM&FF about 3700 lbs.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I just read an article on Sparco seats. They have some made from fiberglass that weigh only 11 lbs. The Steel frame versions weigh about 19 lbs. I'm not sure what the stock seats weight but the driver's seat alone has to be atleast 50lbs with all the gizmos.

This would be a mod that is easy to undo in the future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts