Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine sounds like a rock crusher at times,mainly at a light cruise,about 40 mph. When you get a load on it,it quiets down. 2nd gear is really notchy when cold. I now have 4400 miles on it.My old T-5s never sounded like that and the tranny,T-45,in my son's '01 V6 Stang doesn't do that either. How about anyone else? I did notice that on the tailshaft housing,of the V6 Stang trans,while swapping shifters,there is a small pair of those"monkey nuts".

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've had the 1 - 2 shift fork replaced and I am running Redline D4 ATF in it. When cold I still get a slight "catch" when going into second. There is no doubt in my mind that the syncros in the TR 3650 are taking a beating from lack of proper lubrication. Ford is going to end up replacing syncros before this all over.

John

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mine has been to the dealer with a screaching grinding sound like a bearing is totally shot. He replaced the fore and aft bearings on the lower input shaft??? but that wasn't the problem because it still makes the same noise. It's also right around 40 MPH, 4th gear, light load. Anyway it is going back to the dealer at 8:00 am tommarrow for another look.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've over 13grand on mine and it is doing great.I've noticed that the clutch gets a bit grabby when cold but that goes away in just a few miles,say enought to get it warm.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it doesn't make the niose when cold,only after some miles of driving. Maybe a better fluid is needed,or there is a bunch of end play somewhere.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well mine seems to be getting better even in the cold chicago weather! At least I havent seen any pieces in my rear view mirror yet! I think it might be from those hi speed downshifts causing hi end torgue thruout the entire transmission tightening up anything that might be thinking about falling out! :smile:
Well hell it sounded good ! Thanx Havgun #1676

·
Registered
393 Posts
about 10K miles now and this one is running perfect.

FAR better luck with this Bullitt 3650 than the piece of crap T45s I went through with my 98 Cobra (first one replaced at 2000 miles, second one replaced at 20K miles for a T56).

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
227 was pretty good until it started getting cold here in Northern California. Now it'ts a little tough on the early morning starts. Next trip in, I'll ask the dealer to check the shifting forks.

Take care.

Bud

·
Registered
15 Posts
With only 960 miles on the ticker the trans. was grinding going into first gear like an old grannylow truck trans. It was replaced with a NEW one. They told me about a lack of some coating on the syncros. was causing the grind. Well whatever it was, the new one does NOT grind. It now has 1286 miles and doing fine. DHG#774

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
so far so good Mus408. i've got around 5600 miles

·
Registered
835 Posts
6300 and no problems.

I keep hoping 6th will magically appear. But I guess I need to swap in a T-56 for that to happen, but no magic involoved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have about 1700 miles on my Bullitt and have had no problems what so ever. I did install a tri-ax a few days ago and can't really notice the tranny being any louder than before.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe all Bullitts have Tremec 3650 transmissions. Ford was also changing over to this transmission for the Cobra and GT's about April of this year, so the Bullitts got some of the first ones. Mine now has 8200 miles on it and is doing fine (build date 4-18).

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Mine has annoying 1-2 grind when cold. Brought it in and they changed the shift fork, Didn't do a thing. Brought it back for them to change the 1-2 snychro. It's still there cause the morons broke the speed sensor while doing the install and now the speed sensor is on back order. When I get the car back I'm going to replace the trans fluid w/ Redline and see if it helps, others seem to think so. IF I get it back!!!!!
In the meantime, I'm thinking of replacing the car in my sig w/ this nice rental car I'm stuck with.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts