Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a house and the water here, while being city water, is extremley bad. It spots the car and even if dried quickly seems to leave almost an etching in the glass. I assume its hard water, but the chlorine is overwhelming as well, it really smells bad. I had to put a filter on the shower it was so bad.

What do I need to invest in as far as a whole house system?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Help me understand this.

You are amongst a host of others that complain about water spots.

I don't get why you experience this. Maybe it's hard water or you live in an area that is very warm and the car dries too fast.

I have lived in several different parts of the States and Canada, places with hard and soft water, high and low chlorine content and have never had this problem.

If it were me I'd get a California Water Blade and a large chamois from Pep Boys. Then what I'd do is rinse the car and squeegee the excess water off with the blade ASAP. Then follow up with a damp chamois to catch the extra drops.

If the car dries to fast to do the above then I'd just keep rinsing and drying a section at a time.

Also, if you have a garage pull the car inside right after washing and dry it in the garage.

You might want to consider washing it at dusk so that it doesn't dry too fast in full sun.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bullitt 220

Carl G.

·
Registered
144 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-06 16:18, 01GTB wrote:
Just bought a house and the water here, while being city water, is extremley bad. It spots the car and even if dried quickly seems to leave almost an etching in the glass. I assume its hard water, but the chlorine is overwhelming as well, it really smells bad. I had to put a filter on the shower it was so bad.

What do I need to invest in as far as a whole house system?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

01GTB,

Here is what I do. I wash the car with Rain-X Self Dry. Just about all of the water runs off the car if you follow the directions. I pick up the rest of the water with The Absorber (got it at Wal Mart). I handles and works better than a chamois, and it comes with a storage container. I use small terry cloth towels to soak up the water that collects under the hood, around the grill, hood scoop, rockers, inside the filler door, and in the recesses under the trunk lid. I touch up with Eagle One Wet for the one or two inevitable drips that appear later. I use Eagle One or Meguiar's to clean the wheels, and Eagle One tire gel to wet the tires.

Cheaper than a water softener.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been an Absorber user for years :smile: It's just difficult to get all the water off the car. It runs out of the seams, scoop, under the hood, whatever. This water is so bad, it doesn't need to be sunny out to cause a problem, it will do it at night.

This has been a known issue becuause I had lived in this city in the past, and thats where my shop is. The old house was in a neighboring town and the water there was much better, always has been.

It's not just for the car, taking a shower in this, even smelling the tap is nasty. It's like its recycled ass water or something.

·
Registered
533 Posts
For the home, look into a water softener system. Most are a reasonable set-up. For the car a quality wax job as a base is a good start. I prefer Mothers or Mcquires carnuba wax. In the case of water always running out of the scoop and seams and wherever, I sometimes go as far as extracting it with my wet/dry vaccuum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here in southern wisconsin we have 20 grains of hardness water. We all have water softeners. I even went to one of the water softener companies in town that I send a lot of business to and they fixed me up with a old softener that I just hook up to my water hose. The fittings fit perfectly. I hooked it up to my travel trailer so I have soft water to it. You could do the same thing and just use it for washing your car. When the water starts coming out of the softener hard I will take it over to the softener place and and have them regenerate it. It has been on the trailer for 2 years and it is still coming out soft.

·
Registered
586 Posts
White vinegar is a common technique, but doesn't always work. In my case, it didn't. Now I'm going to try 3M Swirl Mark Remover (P#39009) for dark finishes. My glass is somewhat etched also.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-07 09:05, DHG2404 wrote:
Time to call the Culligan man!
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Considering that :smile:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just got done spending about 7 hours getting the water spots off and waxing my Bullitt. I have a random speed orbital buffer from Sears and used 3M Perfect-it II rubbing compound (fine cut) in combination to remove the waterspots from the paint and from the windows. Since my Bullit is only a week old, it seems that somewhere along the line there was some kind of coating applied to the windows as well as the paint. You could feel it really well on the windows. The 3M compound worked well and removed all of the water spots. Next, I used 3M Perfect-it Show Car liquid wax. What a difference! Can't wait to see it in the sunlight!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I guess I never really thought about this issue, because I never wash my cars with water! I use a waterless car wash product called Dri-Wash 'n Guard. It applies quickly and easily, and protects the paint with a non-wax coating that beads just like wax. The only precaution is to not spray it over the door, hood, and trunk cracks...etc. My wife's 2001 Escape has never been washed with anything else, and looks better than new when detailed(Won't get detailed often now, gotta keep the Bullitt clean). :smile:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Last year we had an entire house water softener system installed by a company called RainSoft. It wasn't cheap, but it comes with a lifetime - it moves when you move - anywhere in the world warranty. The only maintenance required is to add water softener salt every once in a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts