Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so unhappy right now. Today I took the Bullitt to work and I drove with the windows open. Usually when I drive the Bullitt my girlfriend is with me and she isn't a big fan of driving with the windows open. At any rate as I am driving I hear this odd noise from the drivers side in the front. When I get to work I take a quick look and don't see anything. The sound was there when I drove home so I figured when I got home I had better climb under there and take a look.

First thing I notice is the inner fender well splash guard in the front is all chewed up where it has been pushed back against the front wheel. I check the other side and it is the same. I quickly find that the push pins that are supposed to hold it in place are missing which allowed it to bend back when I am driving. I had an accident a few years ago and feel pretty confident that the repair shop neglected to reinstall them. A quick trip to the auto parts store and that problem is fixed. Since the Bullitt is my baby I will probably go ahead and call the insurance company tomorrow to see if they will replace the inner fender well splash guards. Never hurts to ask.

So after I take car of that I am still under the car looking around and I notice that one of the bolts that holds the k-member in place on the drivers side is backed out about half way. I had headers put on the car last March at a reputable shop. Like most people they removed the k-member to install the headers. I haven't checked the rest of the bolts but you can bet I will put a wrench on them before I drive the car again. Call number two will be to them with a WTF.

Sigh. On the bright side at least I got to get dirty poking around under the Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
The truly bright side is that nobody got killed from you driving a car that is literally coming apart as you drive it! You are one lucky dude! Now I have to go drive mine around and listen to see if anything is amiss!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
NCTom said:
I am so unhappy right now. Today I took the Bullitt to work and I drove with the windows open. Usually when I drive the Bullitt my girlfriend is with me and she isn't a big fan of driving with the windows open. At any rate as I am driving I hear this odd noise from the drivers side in the front. When I get to work I take a quick look and don't see anything. The sound was there when I drove home so I figured when I got home I had better climb under there and take a look.

First thing I notice is the inner fender well splash guard in the front is all chewed up where it has been pushed back against the front wheel. I check the other side and it is the same. I quickly find that the push pins that are supposed to hold it in place are missing which allowed it to bend back when I am driving. I had an accident a few years ago and feel pretty confident that the repair shop neglected to reinstall them. A quick trip to the auto parts store and that problem is fixed. Since the Bullitt is my baby I will probably go ahead and call the insurance company tomorrow to see if they will replace the inner fender well splash guards. Never hurts to ask.

So after I take car of that I am still under the car looking around and I notice that one of the bolts that holds the k-member in place on the drivers side is backed out about half way. I had headers put on the car last March at a reputable shop. Like most people they removed the k-member to install the headers. I haven't checked the rest of the bolts but you can bet I will put a wrench on them before I drive the car again. Call number two will be to them with a WTF.

Sigh. On the bright side at least I got to get dirty poking around under the Bullitt.
it's very annoying when you pay good money to a vendor for goods and or services and dont get what you pay for. I am not capable of doing bodywork so I have always had to have that done for me. I've had good experiences in the past when I've had cars painted. As for anything else, I have not and will not pay anyone to do anything on any of my cars until I am absolutely convinced I can't do it myself. I paid to have the Subframe connectors welded in my Bullitt but I have had this shop do custom exhaust work for me before and knew they were capable of doing it properly. Knowing how difficult headers are to install on our cars I have chosen not to go through with that mod partially because of exactly what happened to you and partially because I'm not convinced it would be worth the time & aggrivation for me to do it compared to the gains to be made.

Good luck with the insurance co, hopefully you will be able to replace the splah guards. It sounds like those coming loose may have been a blessing in disguise since it led to you finding the other issues which could have become serious...Good luck....John R :cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got done checking all the other k-member bolts and they all seem to be good. I also figured out why they did not tighten the loose bolt down...it is cross threaded.

I kind of need to drive the car again tomorrow as my girlfriend's car is in the shop and she is borrowing my Ridgeline. Since the bolt is cross threaded I think it has probably been like that since I got the headers put on and driving another 40 miles or so shouldn't be a problem. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a small fee I will glady drive anyone else's car around and listen for strange noises. The more power the car has the less I will charge!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
NCTom said:
For a small fee I will glady drive anyone else's car around and listen for strange noises. The more power the car has the less I will charge!
I may be willing to do a test drive exchange program with you if you let me drive your '72 Camaro...:lol: It would bring back memories of my '71....

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
NCTom said:
I just got done checking all the other k-member bolts and they all seem to be good. I also figured out why they did not tighten the loose bolt down...it is cross threaded.

I kind of need to drive the car again tomorrow as my girlfriend's car is in the shop and she is borrowing my Ridgeline. Since the bolt is cross threaded I think it has probably been like that since I got the headers put on and driving another 40 miles or so shouldn't be a problem. What do you guys think?

If it were me I'd check them with a torque wrench at least. As for the cross-threaded bolt-If you can I'd run a tap through the threads and replace the bolt. You may be fortunate enough that the damage was limited to the bolt and not the female threads in the k-member. It sounds like you may not have the luxury of time on your side though. You may need to take a leap of faith that the remaining bolts are secure. How many bolts are there that secure the k-member? If it is 1 loose out of 4, thats not good, but if it's one out of 8 or so, maybe not as huge an immediate concern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts