Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To me... I'll get to have EVERY weekend to call my own! A pleasure I have never had in my working years.
No money to fund new muscle car purchases,so no new Mustangs,Challengers or whatever,have to keep what I got.
Ahhh,but freedom from that 4:30 AM wakeup alarm!! Wake up with the sun,and enjoy a nice relaxed breakfest!!
For a year or two,I will totally unplug myself from anything that dictates where I HAVE to be at any time! After that,I may take on a small part time job.
The wife will retire a couple years after me,and with her Civil Service retirement,we should be OK.
Being a little poorer,won't be bad,as I will be on the Refund side of the income tax ritual,I hope!!
Just can't wait to get off this nut case merry-go-round I'm stuck in now!
Really have no thought of starting any new career...not the type to get bored just tinkering around the home! Just want to be a FREE man!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
No alarm clocks, no driving to work in bad weather, no Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, just 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday. Doing what I want when I want to do it, and spending more time with my wife. Also staying up to all hours at night when I want.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not enough time to fool around an do all the chores and things that I managed to get done when I was working!

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
When my Dad retired he found he was so busy and had so many projects on the go,
that one day he said to me that he didn't know how he "ever had the TIME to go to work !"

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
When I was doing Graphic Design, I used to use a printer for small jobs who was 85years old.
I asked him why he didn`t retire and he said, "Everyone I know who retired is dead."
I think I`m with him.
I`m never gonna retire.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,030 Posts
Retirement

Retirement is:

Getting up in the morning/afternoon whenever I want :lol:
Staying up as late as I want
Not having to deal with the public anymore :surprised
Not having to plan functions or appointments around work anymore
Just take off on a trip any old time and stay as long as I want
Not having an aching back or feet/legs from standing on them for 8 hours ever again-33 years so far :eek:

Sad thing is, I can't realisticly retire until 9 more years when I can collect Social Security and retirement/pension together. I can retire from work in 2 more years and collect just my pension, but wouldn't be able to live lavishly-comfortably, as we would have to buy health insurance. So I am pretty much working till I am 62 so we can get the medical from my work, which is pretty good coverage. 9 more years. :doubt:

Bill has been retired (and tired) for 23 years now. I can't wait to join him! He said I would miss my customers at work and that I would get bored, and I would sit around and get fat (er). I told him to let me be the judge of that! LOL Easy for him to say!

The older you get, the more doctor appointments and more medications there are and less $$ coming in. I just hope I can stay alive and healthy, until retirement. :wink:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Doc Coffin said:
When I was doing Graphic Design, I used to use a printer for small jobs who was 85years old.
I asked him why he didn`t retire and he said, "Everyone I know who retired is dead."
I think I`m with him.
I`m never gonna retire.
My thoughts exactly Doc.
My grandfather used to say the same thing.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
many people die after they retire. I plan on doing that myself. If I had continued to work I would still die.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
Working at what I want to work at.

I've always had weekends off, a decent paycheck, and I feel at this point in my life I can afford most things, within reason, that I want; Vacations, eating when ever the mood strikes; my Harley & the mods to it.

I feel I have a pretty life, so I feel that retirement will have to wait, even with the carrot HP is dangling in front of me right now!

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I have absolutely no plans on retiring , I will always have to be doing something
no winnebago cross country trips and polyester pants for me.... some of tha catfood doesn't sound too bad though :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I retired at 55, haven't looked back. Saturday or Thursday who cares. When I get up that is when the decision is made what to do today. Retirement is great and the sooner you do it the better.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
texasbullitt said:
I have absolutely no plans on retiring , I will always have to be doing something
no winnebago cross country trips and polyester pants for me.... some of tha catfood doesn't sound too bad though :)
I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to say "polyester" on this forum. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
889 Posts
that's life!!

I will die on the job. The paramedics will pry the spray gun out of my hand and pull the respirator off my face. (please don't bury me with my steel toes still on.)

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
This is an interesting thread to read. There are those who will work until they die thinking that if they quit, they will die anyway. There are those who will work till they die because they will get bored otherwise. There are those who will retire as soon as they can so they can enjoy the freedom of not being tied down to a job. There are those like me who went into a sh!thole every day, threat of layoffs yearly, sometimes monthly, stress up the yazzoo, lay-off more people and pile it on those that are left, new manager a year every year or less, and absolutely no appreciation for the effort, time, consideration, concern, dedication, and professionalism put forth to conduct work on a daily basis. I got out after 19 years and a month with that company, had 5.5 prior with another company. That was 3 years ago and I was 47. Health wise a great decision, much less stress, sleep in instead of getting up at 4:30 a.m., no more stress relate chest pains, watch Jay Leno if I want, work on hundreds of house projects, family and friends home projects etc. I think I will live longer if I don't have to work at that type of place again. I was fortunate that we are financially pretty sound, wife has a good job, etc. She will try and quit in the next few years, then I will actually feel completely retired. I still have some guilt there over her still working although she told me at the time I quit after them trying to pile 30% more workload on me again to "get the hell out of that **** hole". I told her if I quit I would probably never work again, I was burned out. It didn't matter to her.

I will not say that somedays I get bored and wonder if it was the right thing to do, but I just think back to driving in rush hour traffic (in snow some days) to get to work, walking in from the parking lot saying "I hate this F*cking place" and going to the **** ass small little cubical from which I could see and have to listen to about 8 people either working or talking to other people while I was trying to do my job which required an area that had a little bit of quiet and privacy sometimes to think. Now I know this is the same type of job that many on here have, and all I can say is if you can get out and still live a decent life and have a decent retirement (not necessarily lavish), then by all means get out if you can. You won't keel over the next day or next month just because you retired, that will happen when it is suppose to. It is definitely a change, you might not be able to buy every new toy that comes along, but you'll soon realize you don't need every toy that comes along to be happy. You can always go back to work too, if you decide retirement isn't for you, try something different that may not make you as much money, but will give you more satisfaction in the end.

Lee

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
WOW !! what can i say except that after a total of 35 years in the airline industry i will be retiring in july. YEA !!! I just turned 61 and am getting out while i am still healthy. No more having to deal with management that cant run an airline because all they care about is the bottom line. Customer service went out the window years ago and they say they care but they dont. Then when they tell you that they need 20% of your pay back from you that makes matters worse. nobody that I work with gives a S#[email protected] anymore and probably wont ever again. So I am looking forward to summer, I wont sit idle, I think I will buy a peterbilt 387 and become an owner/operator. And do what i please.

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
DHGBULLITT said:
WOW !! what can i say except that after a total of 35 years in the airline industry i will be retiring in july. YEA !!! I just turned 61 and am getting out while i am still healthy. No more having to deal with management that cant run an airline because all they care about is the bottom line. Customer service went out the window years ago and they say they care but they dont. Then when they tell you that they need 20% of your pay back from you that makes matters worse. nobody that I work with gives a S#[email protected] anymore and probably wont ever again. So I am looking forward to summer, I wont sit idle, I think I will buy a peterbilt 387 and become an owner/operator. And do what i please.
Mike,

Enjoyed sitting down and talking with you last Tuesday for breakfast at Embers (the Rogers, MN Bullitt club get together :smile: ). I wish I could have gotten a few more years out of the company I was with before moving on, but life moves on. I think you will look good behind the wheel of the Peterbilt, just don't run over too many ricers or Chevys. :smile: Some of the best and most satisfying times of my life was driving truck for my father every weekend and every day of every summer during college (milk truck, cows don't stop producing on weekends :smile: ) I loved the truck, the power, the shifting, the sound of the turbo, etc. I didn't like the idoits who thought it was safe to pull right out in front of a speeding 64,000 lbs mass of iron, and then decide to not put the pedal to the medal. I also didn't like driving it in bad weather, especially ice. Rush hour traffic in major cities will be a pain too, you'll build up the leg muscles with all the clutching during stop and go. :lol:

Looking forward to our next Rogers Bullitt club meeting. :smile:

Lee

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ZBullitt said:
This is an interesting thread to read. There are those who will work until they die thinking that if they quit, they will die anyway. There are those who will work till they die because they will get bored otherwise. There are those who will retire as soon as they can so they can enjoy the freedom of not being tied down to a job. There are those like me who went into a sh!thole every day, threat of layoffs yearly, sometimes monthly, stress up the yazzoo, lay-off more people and pile it on those that are left, new manager a year every year or less, and absolutely no appreciation for the effort, time, consideration, concern, dedication, and professionalism put forth to conduct work on a daily basis. I got out after 19 years and a month with that company, had 5.5 prior with another company. That was 3 years ago and I was 47. Health wise a great decision, much less stress, sleep in instead of getting up at 4:30 a.m., no more stress relate chest pains, watch Jay Leno if I want, work on hundreds of house projects, family and friends home projects etc. I think I will live longer if I don't have to work at that type of place again. I was fortunate that we are financially pretty sound, wife has a good job, etc. She will try and quit in the next few years, then I will actually feel completely retired. I still have some guilt there over her still working although she told me at the time I quit after them trying to pile 30% more workload on me again to "get the hell out of that **** hole". I told her if I quit I would probably never work again, I was burned out. It didn't matter to her.

I will not say that somedays I get bored and wonder if it was the right thing to do, but I just think back to driving in rush hour traffic (in snow some days) to get to work, walking in from the parking lot saying "I hate this F*cking place" and going to the **** ass small little cubical from which I could see and have to listen to about 8 people either working or talking to other people while I was trying to do my job which required an area that had a little bit of quiet and privacy sometimes to think. Now I know this is the same type of job that many on here have, and all I can say is if you can get out and still live a decent life and have a decent retirement (not necessarily lavish), then by all means get out if you can. You won't keel over the next day or next month just because you retired, that will happen when it is suppose to. It is definitely a change, you might not be able to buy every new toy that comes along, but you'll soon realize you don't need every toy that comes along to be happy. You can always go back to work too, if you decide retirement isn't for you, try something different that may not make you as much money, but will give you more satisfaction in the end.

Lee
Your old working self,sounds like me! Only in a chicken s%%t manufacturing plant. I will be mumbling the same words as I punch the clock on another beautifull Saturday morning!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
No one, and I mean no one I know, that retired has regretted retiring. No reason to get bored if you don't want to be bored.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Thanks lee, I enjoyed it also. Look forward to many more rogers bullitthead meetings. You are right about the truck but I think i will look for one with an automatic, i sure i will get booed about that but i am not going to shift gears if i dont have to.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mr. Swift said:
I will die on the job. The paramedics will pry the spray gun out of my hand and pull the respirator off my face. (please don't bury me with my steel toes still on.)

I'm not afraid of being bored after I retire. I'm afraid I won't be able aford food,gas,eletric,beer,taxes,tickets to the hockey game and most important, my toys...Bullitt-Cobra-Harley

A lesson to all people in there 20s...PREPARE FOR RETIREMENT!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts