Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Solution for 1 - 2 shift

2K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  lee50guru 
#1 ·
The jury will not be in for another 3 or 4 cold morning starts but I believe the solution is 3 qts 24 ounces of Redline D4 ATF and one 8 ounce bottle of Prolong Transmission Additive for automatic and manual transmissions. Prolong can be purchased from either Pep Boys or Auto Zone for $14.99. 2731 is now shifting like butter. The difference was immediate. I will report back on Friday and let you all know if the problem is gone for good.

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-12-30 21:03 ]</font>

#4 ·
Is this solution an alternative to the 1-2 shift fork replacement, or is it in addition to that fix?? I'd be in heaven if I could get this problem licked without having the dealership tear my tranny apart!

#6 ·
I planned on taking in my GT wednesday. car grinds from 3-2 downshift. cold shifting isn't that bad. I was going to have them swap my tranny fluid first rather than be with out a car for who knows how long and have to pay for a loanerl. Where can I find the redline?

#7 ·
TrueBlue- did your try the Redline D4 ATF first, without using the Prolong? On another thread I read through the links to lubrication information, and it appears that Prolong (Zinc?), Duralube (Zinc?), Slick 50 (PTFE) don't have a positive benefit. I know Redline D4 ATF works great by itself. I'm curious as to any additional affects with additives (the literature on the web states that there won't be any measureable difference).

#8 ·
1Nasty,

Do you know how many quarts I need to replace the fluid in there? The auto part store guy said 10, but that seems to be too much. Is the gearbox and synchros the only place that needs to be switched? I am a novice at this kind of thing.

#10 ·
I have replaced my fluid with Redline D4 ATF only (yes, it takes about 4 1/3 qts.) with good results. Cold shifting is getting better if not fixed altogether. I found that when cold I can just yank hard on the shifter and it goes into 2nd with no grind or hesitation. It is at a point that I will NOT risk having Ford f**k up my transmission by taking it apart.

#12 ·
Update. I was going to have them replace my fluid with redline. I took them the stuff and 10 minutes later got a phone call from the dealer. They advised against using the redline because of warranty issues, and informed me that Ford approved replacing the tranny! They drove the car and are giving me a new beefed up unit. Should be in in about a week or so. Ford will be providing a loaner since I only have 1800 miles. Thanks to all on this board for the info!

#13 ·
Nice that your getting a new tranny. Sounds like the 3-2 downshift is quite a bit different than what the rest of us are experiencing. As for the Redline...I think Ford is getting a bit touchy on fluids! Are they going to void the warranty on my wiper's and wiper fluid pump if I don't use Ultra-Clear? Wonder why they don't specify a particular brand of gasoline? Seems to me that the reason they use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is that Ford does not have their own brand and Mobil gives them some deal. I really don't think they would have a leg to stand on if they said you ruined your transmission using a superior ATF. Maybe they would try but how the hell they going to know? They are both the same color. The Redline has fixed the problem for me which indicates that the Redline lubricates better in cold conditions. I personally think Ford can kiss all of our collective ass's. Hear endeth my venting! :smile:

#17 ·
Hi Scott. Better than D4 by itself but still catches ever so slightly on the 1 - 2 shift when cold. Totally smooth after about 5 minutes. This is as good as it is going to get without Ford changing the materials the syncros are made of. I am pleased with the results of switching to D4 with Prolong additive.

#20 ·
I JUST REGISTERED ON 1/7 AND READ YOUR COMMENTS. IF YOUR INTERESTED LISTEN TO THIS. WITH 800 MILES ON MY CAR I SOMEHOW BROKE SOMETHING IN THE TRANNY WHILE DRIVING NORMALY. I THOUGHT IT WAS MY FAULT UNTIL I BROUGHT IT IN AND THEY REPLACERD THE TRANNY AS IF THEY WERE WAITING FOR IT TO GO. HAVE YOU HEARD OF ANY SIMILAR CASES? I PERSONALY HAVE SEEN ONE OTHER BULLITT AT A DEALERSHIP WITH ITS TRANNY OUT. 3800 DOLLARS IS ALOT OF MONEY FOR FORD TO SHELL OUT EACH TIME ONE OF THESE THINGS GOES.

#21 ·
When Mustang Monthly blew 2nd gear in the 3650 in their test Cobra, it's possible that the gears weren't fully meshed due to the "cold catch" issue, and blam.

$3800 for a TR-3650? A brand new TR-3650 *outright* (no old transmission core required) is $1395 (or less). Dealers pay even less (probably 20% off ($1116) or less). Rebuilds (for an existing transmission parts+labor) are around $600. A beefier Tremec TKO is $1449 brand new + outright. The T-5's are around $1495 or less. The Tremec 6-speeds are more, around $2599.

There may be an issue with availability with the 3650, so advertised prices are when they have them in stock. $3800 would certainly buy a 6 speed, including installation, with money left over.

Got these prices from a 10 minute search on the internet.

If Ford is being charged $3800, perhaps they'll take notice and correct the problem quickly (may be something as simple as using fluid with the same or similar properties as Redline D4 ATF).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrivingSimulators on 2002-01-07 21:47 ]</font>

#23 ·
Scott, are you coming to Dyno Day this Saturday?

John

#26 ·
Last night I changed out the tranny fluid with the Redline D4. I didn't notice any improvement with 1-2 shifts. Still a bit of a grind unless I'm real gentle with it.

It was worth a try, but I guess I'll have to go to the next step and have the fork replaced. I'll wait a while and see if Ford comes up with some other fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.