Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have, temporarily, relived the Bullitt of it's famed front seats! I replaced them with a pair of light weight poly seats,with charcol grey material covers. I used to have these in my 85 LX.
The Bullitt is now,an estimated 150 lbs. lighter. Will have to get it weighed to be sure.
Things I have noticed...the throttle response is better and the brakes feel more responsive. It just feels like a very happy Bullitt!
Just for notes...the stock Bullitt driver's seat weighed in at 62 lbs.!! The bottom of it looks like an industrial complex!
Shooting for 13.00 ET hopefully on the stock type 245's next Spring!
Some work is being done to help with the 60 ft. times.
Have done all the good engine bolt ons,so getting it light,is very simple and cheap,using what you have!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I took my passenger and back seat out the last time I went to the track. With the back seat gone, you get a good idea of what other people have to listen to :lol:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
01GTB said:
I took my passenger and back seat out the last time I went to the track. With the back seat gone, you get a good idea of what other people have to listen to :lol:
Did you notice any difference in traction with the seats out of the rear? Rear seat is only 30 lbs, but it is over the rear wheels. I assume the passenger seat is around 48-50lbs?

I have wondered if reducing as much weight as possible from in front of the rear wheels, and then placing the same amount of weight in the rear of the spare tire area will net better traction and thus better ETs than just removing the weight alone.

Anyone have a thought or experience with simply relocating the weight for maximum traction?

DRs instead of my street tires and less weight is probably the best...

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
You know, I couldn't really tell you. Orlando Speed World was usually so under-prepped that I couldn't say whether the back seat being removed hurt it. I only did it once, and it turned out to be my quickest trip down the strip. Of course, I haven't been back since then. I do run Nitto DR's, and the 60' time was in range of what it had been doing the previous 3 or 4 outings.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Did you notice any difference in traction with the seats out of the rear? Rear seat is only 30 lbs, but it is over the rear wheels. I assume the passenger seat is around 48-50lbs?

I have wondered if reducing as much weight as possible from in front of the rear wheels, and then placing the same amount of weight in the rear of the spare tire area will net better traction and thus better ETs than just removing the weight alone.

Anyone have a thought or experience with simply relocating the weight for maximum traction?

DRs instead of my street tires and less weight is probably the best...
Passenger seat weighed in at 46 lbs. I saved 70 lbs. with the seat swap. The rear seat is in place,but lighter with a trick little mod!
Moving weight to the rear will aid traction.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm thinking of pulling my front and rear seats as well. They are still in decent shape and I would like some racing seats. It will save the wear and tear as stated above.

·
Registered
346 Posts
been thinking about doing this to lately, anyone have any suggestions for some lighter but still decently comfortable seats for the bullitt?

·
Registered
163 Posts
bullitt2735 said:
been thinking about doing this to lately, anyone have any suggestions for some lighter but still decently comfortable seats for the bullitt?
Lawn chairs are very light and comfortable :p

·
Registered
618 Posts
mysterio said:
Lawn chairs are very light and comfortable :p
And they look oh so nice as well.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm using the Jazz poly seats. Just had them sitting wrapped up in the shop. Now,if I had to buy new seats,I wouldn't have made the swap. I modified a passenger side manual seat rack,out of a '96 Mustang, to work on the driver's side,then made my own fixed, light weight mount,for the passenger side. Also had to get creative on mounting the Bullitt seat belt to the new seat mounts,as the stock setup mounts the belt clip to the seat.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
pics?????

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm not crying, and I get the whole racing thing and the extra weight, but those Bullitt seats are so darn COMFY!. The only other seats I have enjoyed more were 1969 Mach 1 seats in the "snake skin" material.
Enjoy driving or racing your B !!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I personally don't find the seats all that comfy. Then again I am a little taller and wider than what these seats are designed for. If I were a few inches shorter and a little more narrow they would probably be comfy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
jimbo020 said:
I'm not crying, and I get the whole racing thing and the extra weight, but those Bullitt seats are so darn COMFY!. The only other seats I have enjoyed more were 1969 Mach 1 seats in the "snake skin" material.
Enjoy driving or racing your B !!
^-- I've got to agree with him :wink:

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
here are the seats in his car:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't mind the cheap plastic floormats. They just protect the good Bullitt logo mat underneath. Of course some light weight paper mat will be in place for a trip down the track!

·
Registered
733 Posts
The very 1st '01 Bullitt I seen I wanted to cry because I was at work and at 2am got a call for a car fire,Had to be the farthest from my station but still in my district,Was pretty much just a shell by the time we got water on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts