Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many around the country are devastated after Michigan's loss to ASU yesterday. Or, as it should be stated, ASU taking it to Michigan. Believe it or not, it's not the loss to ASU concerns me. Nor does the alk of unpreparedness, the discussions of poor coaching, conservative game plans, and firing of coaches, etc. All of that is just noise and REALLY NOT the problem.

The true problem of Michigan Football is 'the pattern', as it is discussed where I work, that truly worries me! 'The pattern' is the real reason why Michigan Football has stumbled so much in the last 7 years.

Because of where I work at the University of Michigan, what I do, and the people I get to interact with, I get a lot of inside information about Michigan Football Operations. Much of this information is DIRECTLY from people who work in 'the building.' Staff members and former players have shared a lot with me over the last 7 years.

'The pattern' is the lack of fun and enthusiasm throughout the program. Over the last 7-8 years, there has been a progressive business-like approach and tightness seen and felt everywhere. A cauldron of pressure! Don't get me wrong. Michigan football traditionally is an elite/upper echelon Division I football program. There should be pressure. This is NOT what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about coaches walking around with scowls on their faces in February & March, players walking on eggs shells year after year, one miss-step and you're in the doghouse type of attitude. It is NOT an enjoyable place to be. AT ALL!!!

I asked a player who recently graduated, a starter/impact player, about these observations. He was initially defensive about any criticism of the program. I asked him how much 'fun' he had in his (5) years in the program: "Not much!" "None!" "Michigan football is just way too intense to consider it fun!"

Wow! We're talking 18-22 year old young men!

Men who spend 4-5 years walking on egg-shells, feeling the pressure year after year if one little thing goes wrong. It's no wonder 6 out of the last 7 years we can't get out of September without a loss. No wonder we lose bowl games.

...................................................................................

An assistant coach on the Football team was a asked the 'mood' of the team just before the ASU game. His response: "Business-like!" Yes. Yes! That is the damn problem!!!

Those that traveled to the Rose Bowl last Dec/Jan. could see it as well. The players preparation all week was poor. Bystanders watching them practice could even tell they had no enthusiasm. "They simply did not care to be there. They lost to OSU, did NOT get in the National Championship game............. so ALL WAS LOST!"

....................................................................................

In contrast, look at Pete Carrol's program at USC. Pete Carrol is ALWAYS loose, ALWAYS smiling! Yes his players work hard, damn hard, but they look like they have a BLAST doing it. It's such a POSITIVE ATMOSPHERE!!!! Sunny California, a fun/joking/smiling coach....... hell, 'sign me up' I'd love to be there too!!!

....................................................................................

Last year, with the infusion of new coaching personel, the 'fun' did come back to Michigan football. It was there for most of the season. Then, the loss to OSU and the entire baloon was deflated.................. fire & brimstone took over once more! The season was 'A TOTOAL LOSS' again! This attitude now still continues!!!!

So it's time, time to start bringing in coaches from the OUTSIDE! NON 'Michigan Men.'

It's time for a change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
i for one was cheering for the visitor, and then my happiness left me when the Irish laid that egg on national tv against GT.

college football is a business, like it or not. have notre dame players looked happy to you?

i am sure pete carrol's team has its issues... look at the back that just transferred out of there.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
As Axemanj3 said above, big time college football is BIG BUSINESS. They are intent on making money first, they recruit players that they hope will win games for them. As we all know, many of these players often have so much baggage with them it takes strict people to keep them out of jail, and then that does not always work. I believe all major programs have many, many problems that only insiders know. Recruit only those players who want an education and will work for it, and many teams will lose much money because their level of play will suffer. Do I think most major college sports is a disgrace. YES I DO.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can see where that would be a big problem. Under Meyer, Florida Football is all about making the team a true family and it shows...

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
I went to U of M - Dearborn almost 30 years ago and I'm still a loyal (not fanatical) U of M fan. However, it interesting how a school that has such a liberal attitude on just about everything has a very conservative, "old school" football program. I have only been to about 4 or 5 games in my life, but each time I go there I see the elitist attitude of the UM fans. A case in point was last year when I went to the Vanderbilt game. My daughter was at the Michigan State game about 60 miles away. I called her just before half time and while I was talking in a normal voice, my daughter was screaming into her cell phone due to all the cheering at the MSU stadium. It wasn't due to a great MSU play; it was half time at MSU! By the way, throughout the game, no one was cheering in my section; all season ticket holders. I heard OSU has the same type of enthusiasm from their fans as MSU. The joke is that a U of M game is the quietest group of 107,000 people in the world. I bet the U of M football players look at their home games as away games, very little cheering from their fans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts