Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody see the Red Sux-Cleveland game Tuesday night? The Sux were down 7-0 when they went back to back to back home runs. The third was hit by Manny Ramirez. Mind you that this put the Red Sox down 7-3 at the time, still down by 4 runs. Upon hitting the ball Ramirez stood at home plate for about 4 seconds with his arms up in the air as if he had just hit a walk off home run to win the pennant. He needs to get drilled, I was disappointed that when he came up again he didn't get plunked.
If somebody did that with Josh Beckett on the mound Beckett would (rightfully) go ballistic. Why does Manny continue to get a free pass with pitchers? :mad:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Manny looks the part of a gang banger. I believe that the other players don't want any drive bys in their part of town... :lol:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kaylan1521 said:
Because...... he's Manny. I guess. Only thing good he's ever done IMO (not a Sox fan here) was toss a ball to my son during BP
I'm a stinkin Yankees fan-The guy has tormented me for years now...:lol:
I like him though, he's one of the best hitters the game has seen, but why does he find it necessary to showboat after every home run (and many that dont even go out) he hits?
He has a great rep with fans-I hear lots of stories about how he interacts with young fans here and away. Not surprised to hear about him throwing a ball to your son....But he should still get drilled :lol: :lol:

·
Quest for single digits
12,030 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
But he should still get drilled :lol: :lol:
Consider it done! Next year when the Sox play the Jays, I'll go down as if we're waiting for a ball again and when Manny's not looking I'm going to drill him with a sinker/slider and say it's from you because you're tired of his showboating! :rotfl: will you bail me out?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kaylan1521 said:
Consider it done! Next year when the Sox play the Jays, I'll go down as if we're waiting for a ball again and when Manny's not looking I'm going to drill him with a sinker/slider and say it's from you because you're tired of his showboating! :rotfl: will you bail me out?
As long as after you hit him with the ball you stand victoriously with your arms in the air for 5 seconds to acknowledge your deed!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
He's like school in summertime not to mention not all that bright either...I still remember when he had to ride a pink bike back when he played with Cleveland...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sox just won game 7 11-2....These are dark days indeed for an anti-New England sports fan like me.....Sox in the series, Patriots look like world beaters, Celtics sign Garnett & Ray Allen. Painful, just painful.....:frown:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I hate the way he showboats. He is basically saying that as long as HE hits a homerun there is something to cheer about...even if they lose the game. Baseball of ALL sports is a TEAM game, and you need each other. If I was a pitcher I would have charged the batter and beat him with my fists, hey the batters charge the mound so why not???

Meanwhile the KC Cheifs have won 4 out of the last 5, and the Royals hired a winning manager, and have three top tier pitchers in Gil Meche, Brian Bannister, and Zach Grenke. Now if they can only get run support they could all win at least 15 games next year!

GO ROYALS!!!GO CHEIFS!!!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I am not a Boston fan but, what has Manny done in the playoffs? He is very hard working and check his batting average for the playoff. I am not a fan of his either, but damn he is great

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
So what's different about Manny from the touchdown score celebrations? I could see if he was terrible person like Barry, but he isn't. Don't agree with attempting to hit him either, brush him back yes but not to that extent. And it's not like NY doesn't have it's share of egos.... I would have liked to see some fresh faces in the WS from both sides. But Boston did what they had to do. Came back from down 3-1.

As a former resident of Kansas City I would love to see the Royals do well. Royals stadium is still nice even 30 years later. I remember going to see the Chiefs play in November one year at Arrowhead. Left at halftime. The wind in the cheap seats was brutal.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rblack4405 said:
I am not a Boston fan but, what has Manny done in the playoffs? He is very hard working and check his batting average for the playoff. I am not a fan of his either, but damn he is great
Manny has had a monumental post-season this year. Heck, his whole career he has been great in the post season. I totally agree that he is a great player, possibly top 5 of his era. But he takes showboating to beyond the limit when he grandstands after hitting a home run to put his team down by 4 runs.

His own team-mate, Josh Beckett had a hissy fit after Lofton "showed him up" by merely tossing his bat after a close pitch that could have been ball 4 was called a strike. I can't imagine what Beckett would do if he had given up the home run that Manny had hit.

droopysbullitt said:
So what's different about Manny from the touchdown score celebrations? I could see if he was terrible person like Barry, but he isn't. Don't agree with attempting to hit him either, brush him back yes but not to that extent. And it's not like NY doesn't have it's share of egos....
Football is different I think. Some of the touchdown celebrations are rediculous and the league has tried to legislate them.
As far as brushing Manny back instead of hitting him, pitchers like Roger Clemons, Nolan Ryan, Josh Beckett, Pedro Martinez and countless others have made no bones about drilling a hitter if they feel the hitter has gone overboard on the home run stare or trot. This has been going on forever and will continue to go on.
And yes, the Yankess do have egos for sure, but most of them (most) respect the game and even AROD keeps the stare down to an acceptable level after hitting home runs.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jared6180 said:
I hate the way he showboats. He is basically saying that as long as HE hits a homerun there is something to cheer about...even if they lose the game. Baseball of ALL sports is a TEAM game, and you need each other.
If this had been a regular season game I'm pretty sure that Lowell would have seen some chin music after Manny's at bat. They wouldn't have waited for Manny's next at bat to make their point, and Lowell would have dealt with the repercussions of a selfish display by a team-mate. Watch next pre-season or early regular season....There will be some fireworks between these 2 teams......:badgrin:

Chiefs look good, better than my (can't believe I'm going to admit this) Vikings...:cool:

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
I think the problem with most paybacks now days is the umps have a zero tolerance thing going. If he did throw at him he's out of the game and maybe costs his team a win. Don't know what the world's coming to when you can't pay back in baseball.

Ahh the days when the rivalry was KC and NY. Billy Martin, George Brett, Cookie Rojas.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
droopysbullitt said:
I think the problem with most paybacks now days is the umps have a zero tolerance thing going. If he did throw at him he's out of the game and maybe costs his team a win. Don't know what the world's coming to when you can't pay back in baseball.

Ahh the days when the rivalry was KC and NY. Billy Martin, George Brett, Cookie Rojas.

Wasn't it the '78 playoffs when the Yanks & Royals went at it after George Brett got up after sliding into third and went after nettles? I think I remember that from that year.
You're right about the zero tolerance nowadays but I will say that usually a warning won't be issued until after the first guy gets drilled. It's almost as if the ump is endorsing the "code" being enforced by allowing the first guy to get hit.
In the situation with Manny the other night he came up again in the 7th inning with 2 outs and nobody on. The score was still 7-3 and it would have been an opportunity for payback if the Tribe had chosen to do so. Rational heads prevailed and the rest is history...I still say (or maybe...hope) that at some point next season that will come back to haunt him or a team-mate of his.....

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Yep I remember the 78 series. Don't make many like Brett. Whole career played for one team. Bigio with the Astros is another one. Guys like these are few and far between now. Play the game because they love it more than the money.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You know I look at Manny and I want to dislike the look of the guy-last week on ESPN classics they had an old Tribe game with Manny in his youth looking like a normal kid. Having said that-the other side of my brain, the one that sez "look at this from another angle" tells me this- The guy is a personality in a ocean of sameness. Ya, his uniform is too large, Ya his hair is freeky from a wasp point of view, Ya he says some crazy stuff but you know what?
He backs it up by hitting the ball.
nuff said.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bullitt3980 said:
You know I look at Manny and I want to dislike the look of the guy-last week on ESPN classics they had an old Tribe game with Manny in his youth looking like a normal kid. Having said that-the other side of my brain, the one that sez "look at this from another angle" tells me this- The guy is a personality in a ocean of sameness. Ya, his uniform is too large, Ya his hair is freeky from a wasp point of view, Ya he says some crazy stuff but you know what?
He backs it up by hitting the ball.
nuff said.
He can definately hit, one of the best hitters of this era. He is also an under-rated fielder. He suckers more than just a few runners into trying to take second on some of the wall balls hit at fenway and then just guns them out at second. I don't think anybody could question his ability.
I agree with you about the personality thing, it's nice in any sport to see some personality, but when it goes overboard and crosses the line it usually will have repercussions, be they from the other team, the league, or his own team-mates. It just seems like Manny gets a free pass. Maybe he is really well liked among the league and other players just accept what he does as part of him being who he is.

Of course-this whole thread should be taken with a grain of salt because I am just a bitter Yankees fan..:lol:

·
Registered
878 Posts
[
Of course-this whole thread should be taken with a grain of salt because I am just a bitter Yankees fan..:lol: [/I][/QUOTE]

And I'm a Jays fan and I'm sick and tired of finishing 3rd every year behind the two teams with the biggest payrolls-If we played in any other division we'd have seen some playoff games since '94. I can't get too angry with the Yankees-they were the favourite growing up before the Jays exsisted but we can all agree in hating the Sox

1 - 20 of 20 Posts