Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have no clue what the hell is going on, but every time I back out of a parking spot or take a low speed tight turn I hear a horrible grinding sound that I can also feel and then I hear like a kachumk noise also? I have no clue what it is but its coming from my rear end area.....I'm starting to get concerned plus it makes my ride sound like **** and its embarassing! I'm concerned and I have no idea what it is can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
My wife's jeep did that when the rear gear oil was low. Just a thought. We took it in several times and nobody could figure it out. Finally, someone at the local oil change place noticed it and made the correct diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Check rear brakes and backing plates, rear differential fluid, and u-joints. If the everything is ok, then you should probably dig deeper into your differential and make sure your trac lock didn't take a poo.:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a trac lok i have and Eaton posi trak that's only a month old.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
This thought may be completely off target as I just don't know the mechanical stuff but I had something similar going on and when someone added some friction modifer to the rear end it made the noise stop. With a gear change I used Amsoil synthetic and it was indicated that with this product friction modifier was not needed so I didn't us the friction modifier. Looks like that was incorrect.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Noise Backing Up

Have someone outside your car while backing, to see if you can identify left/right.
The metal wear indicators on some worn brake pads dig in while backing up, and definitely make a grinding sound, while they can be quiet while going forward because in this case they are trailing. They might make noise during a turn.
Otherwise, a loose caliper touching the rim, and hopefully, not the differential.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts