Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading many posts lately that suggest that we keep e-mailing Art Hyde/Ford for some replacement ID plate. Well at the risk of sounding corporate or condescending (of which I'm neither) does it really seriously matter? The collectability, exclusivity, appeal and performance of our cars doesn't change a single bit with or without it. I'll go out on a limb and say that no current owner on this forum bought their car sight unseen and assumed there would be a metal type ID plate. No I believe we took delivery with a tremendous smile and feeling of great stisfation having seen everything that Ford brought to life from a concept. Furthermore, I can't believe that it is so material an issue to ownership that it would lessen the overall enjoyment of owning the Bullitt. From a "posuer" point of view I can't imagine anyone stopping their car for a show and tell saying "hey check out my limited edition Bullitt from Ford, wanna see my ID plate?" What I see is a lot of admirers/enthusiasts checking out the styling, looking at the performance mods in the engine bay and the suspension and asking about the car's performance. If longevity of the ID sticker is the main issue then in reality the simplest, most cost effective, and fastest solution would indeed be to provide a protective clear cover. For those whose stickers have smudged or become unreadable Ford has committed to replacing it. So what does this all really boil down to? In my opinion I don't believe we were cheated. We knew what we were getting at purchase and in many cases before. I can't recall ever seeing a single post on any forum that states the person almost bought a Bullitt but didn't because there was no metal ID plate just a cheesy sticker. Let's use our time and energy to address issues that truly matter ie driveability, and fit and finish. I still say our best resolution to this ID plate issue is to make our own, who knows we might even be able to get Ford to officially recognize it and our club. What I'm suggesting is not a cop out rather a much more constructive way of dealing with an issue that at the end of the day cannot effect the way your car looks or handles or denies your proof of ownership. Anyway like the topic states...just something to consider.
Arthur

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You have many valid points Arthur. I've decided that the best way to prove authenticity is to keep the original paperwork, window sticker and any other documentation that comes my way indicating my car is a Bullitt. In a different post, I indicated the word "bulit" spelled just like that is on a metal tag attached to the unibody just behind the left head light. If I was looking at buying a used one this would be one of the items I'd check as it doesn't seem many people are aware of it. Not to say this couldn't be copied easily enough if someone wanted to go to that much trouble.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree a "metal badge" does not make a Bullitt a Bullitt. A more permanent numbered id would have been nice to have though . If I ever do receive my back-up sticker I'll mount it in a glass case so that it won't be smudged either. I will be a bit grumpy, however, if Ford installs a numbered badge in the Mach One or Boss models if they are produced. If stickers are good enough for us then stickers should be good enough for the newer models as well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Like others have said, you make many valid point; however I believe most are concerned that Ford could have done better. I ordered my Bullitt (sight unseen) except for what I saw and read in the initial marketing brochure that the dealers would not let out of their sight. The literature did talk to unique serial/production number identification and I think most of us just"expected a little more class" from a company like Ford, who definately could have done better. It's just one of those "little" things that separates the you from the norm.
Will it change my opinion of my Bullitt, definately not. Will it make me more "suspect" of marketing BS, definately yes.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
rouschraven,
NOTHING at all takes away from my pride and enjoyment of ownership...nothing. Not that stupid sticker, not ford and their stupid errors,not the annoying minor issues that we all correct ourselves out of terror for bringing our pride and joy into an uncaring , unsympathetic dealership, not people insinuating that 'everything is ok and who cares about a minor issue'like if you care about an issue you are a nut or dont see''the big picture'.
Like I have said before...to anyone ,please feel entitled to your opinion and do or not do as you may, but don't look down your nose or patronize me because I feel the way I do. don't ridicule those of us that think differently or assume we are wrong because of our stance. they may be a small issue for you , and I must admit its not a big issue for me ( I am not consumed by it believe me)but still...it is an issue none the less and I do not feel right letting it die. something with being a child of the 60's I suppose.
Hoo-ray and thanks to ford making the car... but seriously, do you think they did so because they like us enthusiasts? no, it is because they want to make a bundle on each and every car and new niches are hard to find... so when they do they rush things, make mistakes, and do minimal damage control... look at the 99 cobras did ford learn from the horsepower issue? not until someone sued them for misleading/false advertisement .. then faced with the possability of bad press and loosing their asses in court...finally they did something about it..
I wouldnt trade this car for anything else...sticker be damned that said,I have worked in this industry since 1970, I am privvy to much more then the average person, and I know the manufacturer well.... they cave into pressure its like a game of chicken though who blinks first you or them..

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
oh and by the way... the proposed mach's and Boss's will have metal tags and unique id# in the vin itself... gee, when mine first went away and i suggested that to them back in JUNE I was told that was impossable, fraud, etc do you think they learned from suggestions or not?
it's a money issue plain and simple folks
wake up
ford can incorporate the cost of these metal plates into the base price of the car and not lose a dime.
if they do it for us now, after the cars are sold and it costs them money with no way for them to recoup it. economics 101

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you either read (wrongly) into my post or somehow my point was missed. I'm not looking down my nose at you or anyone else for their opinion nor am I patronizing them by my suggestion. I just think it would really be more beneficial to address other issues to Ford than the ID plate. No attack intended believe me I have no problem being direct about my feelings. Just like yourself and many others I was just sharing a point of view to be considered in light of what is being offered. I hope that clears things up.
Arthur

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
arthur,
if I misread your opinion, I apologize.
I certainly understand your point.
You would not believe the e-mails I have gotten/deleted on this subject; you're a dick, f.y. , shut up you'll screw things up with ford for the rest of us... the 60's are over man ( thus my comment about being a child of the 60's), hippies died ( i was never ever a hippy by the way) pretty amazing and extreme in some cases... but to each there own.. amazing also is that some of them, being cowards, don't use their real name or e-mail.. anyway...with 4100 miles since the first of june...i am enjoying 100 %
stay well.live long and prosper..
mark

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Yep,I have to agree it all get's down to profits and big money markups,on today's niche musclecars. They,Ford,have found you can make more profit,by just trickling the HP increases out just a little each year on the Mustang platform. All they have to do is wrap it up in another package and bump the power up by 5 or 10. Now I hear the MACH 1 will have a 300 HP version of the 4V Cobra. We could have had that in the Bullitt. But no matter,I still like my Bullitt,and if it needs a little more HP,well I have an engine hoist ready for a swap! Of course I will store away the original Bullitt round!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-26 10:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
295 Posts
Supposedly the Bullitt ID # is also etched somewhere else on the car in an undisclosed location in order to prove authenticity...if need be. I can't find the article where I read that. It also mentioned the area of the car where the # was and I think it was under or around one of the from wheels. Anyone else know of this or even heard of this?
from Montvale, New Jersey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krankiekat on 2001-08-26 11:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for that info, from what I read I thought they were all in the same spot but apparently not. But I'll start by looking for mine in the same spot that the one in the article you pointed me at found his, under the carpet in the rear on the drivers side. I think every one who finds the hidden secret location of their second s/n should post it on the forum. I think it would interesting and fun to know as well as we all find them. ( or don't ) We should have a seperate page or area for these posts.

aka Krankiekat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullittRocKer on 2001-08-26 12:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
texasbullitt,

Man, that sucks that people would send you nasty emails just for expressing your opinion! :mad: Now I understand why there's a harsh tone in some of your postings. Don't let these people, especially the cowards that don't even use their name, get to you. :wink: Consider the source. In any group of people there are bound to be some bozos. Keep on posting as I enjoy the different points of view. :-B

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
to each their own... I am going to do what i think is right and thats too bad on them... they are a very small minority anyway probably not even bullitt owners and they will benefit if we succeed,,, life's great aint it...lol

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I thought the issue of being able to prove a Bullitt is a Bullitt without the ID number was settled already. Someone, sorry I don't remember who, posted on this site that the interior code on the door was proof of a Bullitt. We have the unique, Bullitt only seats.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,040 Posts
Yes, the KW under "INTTR" on the door jam is the Bullitt. K stands for the Bullitt specific part which refers to the seat design/type. W stands for Dark Charcoal.

Vicki

·
Registered
466 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Art Hyde last week that was positive and said I was looking forward to receiving the clear cover and that I know they will come up with a more permanent fix. Today I got back a one line e-mail that simply stated "The clear cover is a long term fix." I guess Art is getting tired of the e-mails. I say keep e-mailing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put a piece of clear THICK packing tape over it, trimmed the edges with an xacto knife, it looks good, and is protected. If it comes off, or gets ruined, so be it, I did the best I could to protect it. It is, after all, NOT what makes the car a Bullitt, just step down on the right most pedal on the floor to see what makes it a Bullitt!

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
see, thats what makes this club so great... everyone can speak there mind and have a difference of opinion.. and still be happy

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactomundo! I wish other forums were as friendly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts