Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few days I have been noticing that at driving speeds the bullitt is studdering. It sounds weird, but thats the only way I know how to describe it. It does not 'hick-up' while accelerating, or even at highway speeds, only while maintaining driving speeds 30-50mph. Could it be the spark plugs? I don't realy want to pay some mechanic $300 to tell me that something is wrong with my car, and I don't want to start buying unnecisary parts for my car either. I have a SCT3 tuner that can data log, but I have no clue as to what its telling me. Any Ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is in fact that problem their I would much rather just replace them all. The GMS set-up is cool, but the price hurts my head just thinking about it. The car did have 60k on it when I got it and I don't know if the D-bag who owned it befor me replaced the plugs all that time. Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
I'd say replace the spark plugs and fuel filter. At 60K if these haven't been done, they need to be. I'm actually planning on replacing my plugs, COP's and fuel filter before the winter and I just turned 50K. My 98 GT had that stutter too, I found one of the electrodes was worn completely on one of the plugs. Changed plugs and no more problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
I'd agree with Greg. Sounds like one of the Coil on plugs is bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,248 Posts
1fstbullitt said:
If it is in fact that problem their I would much rather just replace them all. The GMS set-up is cool, but the price hurts my head just thinking about it. The car did have 60k on it when I got it and I don't know if the D-bag who owned it befor me replaced the plugs all that time. Thanks for the advice.
to a point I agree
but I have had my B for over 40k miles and one of the COP was replaced before I got it. Knock on wood, the rest are still fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that all you guys have led me in the right direction I'm going to be replacing the fule filter and the spark plugs and fule filter ASAP. I'm going to replace the spark plugs with the ones from pustar. They advertised in one of the Mustang mags that I had a few months ago and they said that they are able to increase hp/tq just by replacing the old plugs, kind of like the GMS COP set up.... Now that would be something to see! check out their website http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,248 Posts
1fstbullitt said:
Now that all you guys have led me in the right direction I'm going to be replacing the fule filter and the spark plugs and fule filter ASAP. I'm going to replace the spark plugs with the ones from pustar. They advertised in one of the Mustang mags that I had a few months ago and they said that they are able to increase hp/tq just by replacing the old plugs, kind of like the GMS COP set up.... Now that would be something to see! check out their website http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html

never head of them... looks interesting, but I have yet to see any plugs that are not gimicks. I would suggest going with straight copper NGK (TR55 I think) or Autolite (764 I think).
Both are good plugs, we've had discussions on this before and it seems to be the general concensus.
also some of those special plugs actually HURT the cars performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(guess who this is) NOOOOOO!!! It's not true!!! Man that sucks if it is. Well I'll tell you what I'm going to to for you Bullitt heads out their. I'm still going to buy them and be a guine pig for you guys. If they suck then you all can point and laugh and say I told you so, but if not, you now have an option for another bolt on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
9mmBullitt said:
I'd agree with Greg. Sounds like one of the Coil on plugs is bad.
How do you test the coil on the plug to see if the coil is bad.Just started my car after a few days of not running and it sounds rough like its not running on all 8cyl.Then the service engine soon light came on.I will put it on my machine and see what it tells me is wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I just hooked it up to my machine and it tells me that PO306 Cyl 6 Misfire Detected.OK now I have to check the COP or plug? Or both.Anyone have a diagram
of the engine so I know what one is Cyl 6. How does the engine go as far as knowing which is cyl one and so on. Ive never had to worry about this problem before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Shermsbullitt said:
I just hooked it up to my machine and it tells me that PO306 Cyl 6 Misfire Detected.OK now I have to check the COP or plug? Or both.Anyone have a diagram
of the engine so I know what one is Cyl 6. How does the engine go as far as knowing which is cyl one and so on. Ive never had to worry about this problem before.
Got this from another thread. I think this is correct cyl 6 would be the second one in from front to back on drivers side. If anyone can still just let me know that this is correct.Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver's side, Front to back: 5,6,7,8

Passenger's side, Front to back: 1,2,3,4

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
OK this stumps me.I went and changed the plug and put a new one in it.(The one that was in the car didnt look bad at all)Then I switched the COP with another plug. Seems to running back to normal now.No running rough like its only on 7cyl's Purring like a kitten again. Now it boggles my mind if the COP was bad why doesnt it run rough on the one I switched it with.Do the COP's just go bad,or can it come and go.Dont know much about them here.Anyone know alot about them please let me know wat your thought's are.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
That's the problem with the COPs they can come and go. My problem was intemiited. Go fine for a week then get a stutter for a while then work OK. Finally took it into the dealer and they found COP #2 bad. Usually they don't show until under load. Like at hard acceleration.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
Have you installed a Cold Air Intake lately or done anything with your intake at all? If you do not have a CAI try cleaning the MAF. If you do have CAI and can look through your fog light hole and see your filter then try closing off that hole to see if that helps. We have the studdering problem on 2180 and keep the fog light hole covered with duct tape and the studdering stops. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I am not much of a gear head, so forgive me. What is a COP?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top