Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I see some posts about 1-2 shifts and cold engine noises, etc., and I have some issues with #4841, but I'm not quite sure they are the ones you are speaking of or not. I'm just wondering if I need to have these things checked out or not.

When I first get in to drive 4841 (cold, warm or whatever the weather) there is a clanky sound as I accelerate....hubby drove it yesterday, noticed it, said it was "not normal", sounds like pinging or lifters?? It does go away, after driving it for a while. Also, when cold, I have one HECK of a time shifting from 1-2, it's like "crunchy" is the only word I can think to describe it, very difficult to shift. After about 15 minutes, this becomes easier. Are these the two problems I keep reading about from many of you??? I thought they sounded similar, but wasn't sure.

What should I do? I'm VERY nervous about taking my baby in for service, it's seems to be such a nightmare!!

Thanks for your help and/or advice.

Dona

(THIS one courtesy of Karl)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-12-31 16:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. Mystang99, IF you are reading this...I have the insanely loud squealing brakes also!!!!!! :smile: Don't feel bad!

:grin:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dona, i think just about everybodys brakes squeal, mine has always done it, when it happens i just push a little harder and it quits..not much of a fix but i still love my baby. :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Dona,
Sounds like you have what a lot of other people have. The 1-2 shift problem and the scary noise in the engine. Jury is still out on the scary noise but one of the leading candidates is Piston Slap. Fancy word for Ford probably will not do anything. The other, the 1-2 shift grind untill heating up is pretty common. Some people have let Ford change their 1-2 shift fork (internal transmission part) and it did not fix it. I had VERY good luck by changing the trans fluid with Redlines D4-ATF fluid. Will take a lot out of the grind out and makes it even better when warm. Still need to take it easy while cold though...I defiently would not let FOrd pull the Transmission out unless they have some improved parts they are going to put in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The notchiness is normal. I have an 02 GT and it has the notchiness. I don't think its too much to worry about except the 01 GT's and Bullitts have that TSB for the bent shift forks.

You'll know whne you've got the bent shift fork on the 1-2 shift when you physically cannot put the car into gear not matter how hard you try.

But the problem is so pervasive if you tell your dealer that you're having "difficulty engaging 2nd gear" then you'll probably just get a new transmission (which is the best way to go).

The new transmissions have a very bad back-order problem so you might just wait to take it in or take it in, have them order the trans, and keep your car till it comes in.

As far as your "clanking" conern, it may be something new. The noise that i had an engine replaced for is like a rapping sound similar to severe detonation or dropping a marble on a counter top. And it happens only when cold under light acceleration.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,251 Posts
About the squeeling brakes: I guess everyone will know we have a true Bullitt when they hear our brakes a comin!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-12-31 09:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you all....I feel better knowing I'm not alone, but still feel bad knowing this is a problem for many....sigh.........what to do, what to do.....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Since my Bullitt has started squealing, I'm considering removing the "Mustang" lettering and replacing it with "Pig" ("Hog" was already taken by Harley). That way people young and old (when they hear it coming) can point and say, "Look everyone, here comes that Pig Bullitt". Too bad the rattle sounds more like a cat purring than a pig oinking, otherwise it would be perfect. :-0

·
Banned
535 Posts
After my third new tranny (3650 is a piece of junk). I told Ford to stick it and bought a Tremec TKO. I race my car, so I wanted a better tranny anyway, I just figured I'd have Ford replace it everytime. Not anymore.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My brakes haven’t squealed once. When my Bullitt was brand new, I think I had problems finding second from first. I know I had a problem finding reverse and so did every one else who drove my car. However, I no longer have those problems. The only transmission related issue I have now is, finding 4th coming down from 5th that’s every once in awhile. It always seems to happen when I want to pass somebody in a hurry on the interstate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts