Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that starting about Feb. 08 till mid year the type & thread design changed in the 4.6 3V motors. Be sure to check which type you have before changing plugs. The new style will have brown coil boots & the old style will have black. You may want to check this out so someone doesn't cross thread your future plug change.
This may be common knowledge be it was new to me. 08's with a production run in the last half of 08 forward should have the new style spark plugs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
On top of the coil's you will see a number...

3L3E = You have the old style "High Thread" 16mm plug design

8L3E = You have the new style 12mm plug design.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Blindmelon said:
I was reading that starting about Feb. 08 till mid year the type & thread design changed in the 4.6 3V motors. Be sure to check which type you have before changing plugs. The new style will have brown coil boots & the old style will have black. You may want to check this out so someone doesn't cross thread your future plug change.
This may be common knowledge be it was new to me. 08's with a production run in the last half of 08 forward should have the new style spark plugs.
Actually it started before the Bullitt build in job 2, about Oct or Nov '07

all '08 Bullitts should have the new plugs and coils

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
This is very good information.

I went back and re-read all the old posts on the subject. It was fun to take part in the nervousness and then the elation as the brown boots were found under hood.

It's the interaction between members that drew me to and keeps me in IMBOC.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found more things during research like the Bullitt has the same axles as the GT500
which are larger in Dia. along with stronger heat treated gears in the rear -end as well as larger axle bearing. Maybe we need a list made up telling everyone in one location. Other things like the 09 Bullitt has a different intake with the air motion plates molded into the 09 but not the 08's (optional Steeda plate) can be used for more hp on the 08's. Seat belt chimes on 08 can be eliminated but not the 09.The axle info & bearing info may save someone getting the wrong parts someday. Just a suggestion maybe we can put all this info in one area. Another example when buying new wheels you have to transfer wheel sensors or buy new ones & the bands that hold them from Ford can't be reused (about $20.00 ea.) I have been away from Fords a few years so I am playing catch-up. My last Mustang was a 92 5.0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts