Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New user here. I would appreciate some feedback if anyone else has experienced this. I have a 2008 Bullitt, number 5619. I bought it from PA from a private user with a salvage title. The body work was done well with good paint and the car drove well and straight. It had 42K miles when I bought it. It has been a great car and I have owned it for 5 years now. It has 98K trouble free miles on it now and the platinum plugs are due for replacement. To my surprise, Motorcraft SP-509-X plugs were on the passenger head and Motorcraft SP-547 are on the passenger side. These plugs have a differant length and do not appear to be interchangable. I replaced them as I found them. The car runs great and there are no issues. Has anyone else out there seen this? I am thinking that I have two differant heads on this car. I read somwhere that ford changed plug types mid year in 08, but would they have installed two differant heads on the same block? This seems odd to me.
Thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the response. That is certainly one of the possibilities. It just seems odd. Thanks
I've been following this...glad our retired Ford tech replied. Sure sounded weird to me...
I was thinking that what are the odds that Ford only had one of the old style heads left so the matched it with a new style on the same block? Is that reasonably possible? I am only a hobby mechanic but I always try to replace with like for like. I was hoping someone else has seen this also. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
16,048 Posts
My '09 is at 32,000 miles. No plug change yet. But this the first I've ever heard of it. Suggestion...you might pose the question on the S197 forum. Tons of tech oriented guys hang out there. I haven't a clue how many different 3 valve heads Ford used, but your thought seems the most logical thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '09 is at 32,000 miles. No plug change yet. But this the first I've ever heard of it. Suggestion...you might pose the question on the S197 forum. Tons of tech oriented guys hang out there. I haven't a clue how many different 3 valve heads Ford used, but your thought seems the most logical thing.
Thank you and thanks for the tip. I will.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Hi, do you have brown coils on both sides?
Normal service. With brown coil boots. Interchangeable with SP-509,or sp-509x
black coil boots fit Motorcraft SP-547 on heads 05-07. If it works fine ,stay with it.😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, do you have brown coils on both sides?
Normal service. With brown coil boots. Interchangeable with SP-509,or sp-509x
black coil boots fit Motorcraft SP-547 on heads 05-07. If it works fine ,stay with it.😂
Hi, I have brown coils on one side of the engine and black coils on the other. Yes, its very strange. Another possibility is that the origanal owner bent a valve or had a plug failure and the Ford dealer performed a warranty replacement of one head and had to replace it with the newer design. I was hoping someone else experienced this.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
As I understand, all 08 Bullitts had the new style heads (Brown Boots). Most likely, that one head was replaced with a used head.

BTW, most people do not realize that the 4.6 used in the Bullitts, the short block is different from the GT engines. They were modified for improved oiling to allow for the additional RPMs. In 2010, all 4.6 engines used the Bullitt engines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts