Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone take out the speakers in their car? I want to know what the exact stock speakers sizes are for the Shaker 500. I have google'd it and I can't find any exact sizes. I'm upgrading my system and want to replace the stock speakers with Polk Audio or Alpine speakers. Also, that large "woofer" in the doors, are those a 6 inch? Obviously I haven't ventured into removing any panels to look. Just thought I would ask first. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Jon

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
have a look at this thread on a different forum

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...t-factory-speaker-size-shaker.html#post270020

I can't speak to it's accuracy, but sounds reasonable to me.

I think once I get around to upgrading the sound system, I'll do something like a set of good 5 1/4" separate components and a 8" mid bass in the doors (although, I would dearly love a 6 1/2" midrange instead and will doubtlessly spend hours trying to figure out how to wedge a set in) each driver on a separate amp channel. for the rear, I would either delete the rear fill or put in a set of 5 1/4" components.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Crutchfield.com has a great fit guide for speakers. I was thinking about changing the door and rear deck speakers to a better quality speaker. I think the subs in the door are OK, but the midrange and highs need improvement. I still miss the Bose stereo system that was in my 2000 Pontiac. :cry:

·
Registered
913 Posts
The front and back will take 5x7/6x8. You can put 5 1/4 in the upper door with a bracket they sell for like $10. The door woofers are 7 7/8 subs. You can fit a 6 1/2 sub or an 8 inch sub with some custimization.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just a suggestion....

The factory system is pretty good if you tune it right.

My current settings are with the seats option set to rear seats, and then fading just a touch to the front. Bass is at a few over half and treble is a couple dashes higher than that. Turn compression ON.

Once I found these settings, I pretty much stopped wanting new speakers!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
jymontoya said:
Just a suggestion....

The factory system is pretty good if you tune it right.

My current settings are with the seats option set to rear seats, and then fading just a touch to the front. Bass is at a few over half and treble is a couple dashes higher than that. Turn compression ON.

Once I found these settings, I pretty much stopped wanting new speakers!
I concur. Once we discussed this previously and J.Y. mentioned this setting, I tuned my similarly. I've got it tweaked to where it sounds great; especially, utilizing the CD player. For me, the sound and balance is just right. Try this before you spend money, okay?
:cool:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hey! Only my family calls me J.Y. ! :D

I am from Santa Fe originally... were we separated at birth? ;)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
jymontoya said:
Hey! Only my family calls me J.Y. ! :D

I am from Santa Fe originally... were we separated at birth? ;)
Close, primo, I have a lot of Montoya's in my bloodline! We're all descended from Capitán Bartolomé de Montoya, born 1572 in Cantillana, España. He came into El Reyno de Nuevo México in 1600 to bring reinforcements to Oñate.

One would be hard-pressed to find a descendant of the Conquistadores who does not have a Montoya in their bloodline. They're quite prolific. :wink:

I am a Sena, you know how prevalent they are in Santa Fé!:cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Personally Im a little disapointed with the stock system. I didnt want the 1000 but the car I found had it so o well but really if you have ever had a aftermarket system it is not that great...even in terms of factory systems to me. Im sure down the road I will mod it and if possible, havent checked if it will work yet, just put one after market 10 in the factory box and seal off the other hole so it will give the single sub more air to breath and better tune abilities.

·
Registered
289 Posts
invisibleman said:
Has anyone take out the speakers in their car? I want to know what the exact stock speakers sizes are for the Shaker 500. I have google'd it and I can't find any exact sizes. I'm upgrading my system and want to replace the stock speakers with Polk Audio or Alpine speakers. Also, that large "woofer" in the doors, are those a 6 inch? Obviously I haven't ventured into removing any panels to look. Just thought I would ask first. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Jon

As someone else mentioned, check out Crutchfield.com. They've got a very good database of exactly what will fit. And their customer service is top notch.

I just purchased a set of Polk speakers from them for the rear and changed them out a couple of weekends back.

Great quality, but beware.....changing out the rear speakers is a royal PITA! You have to remove the carpeted deck area to get to the speaker screws (from above). Which means you basically have to remove the whole interior trim from the front seats back to get to it. Probably took me 4 hours and I had reviewed the instructions very carefully before I started. Had I known, I would have lived with the stock speakers.

The good news is that you can mount the new replacement speakers from underneath (in the trunk) as God originally intended. If I ever change them again, it'll only be a 5 minute job.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.