Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the specifics on how to shift and make the pop like McQueen? If it involves power shifting I'm not going to do it. Any ideas from anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
if you listen to the movie soundtrack, it actually sounds like he is double clutching as he drives!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
clutch in....disengage gear(say 2nd gear)....clutch out........ clutch in........engage next gear(3rd) clutch out again.
as opposed to clutch in..... throw it from 2nd to 3rd .....and then clutch out
used to be pretty common before synchronised gearboxes were perfected

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-07 17:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've noticed on my car when I'm hauling the mail and I shift gears it has a nice growl sort of like in the movie. I don't even need to double clutch!! Several of my friends have commented on the sound. They keep asking if I'm stepping on the throttle. IT only does it when I'm ripping on it.

Eric

·
Registered
835 Posts
The early trannies were not anywhere near as well synchronized as they are today. If you have the DVD of the mocie you can see some smoke coming from the exhaust pipes when Steve's shifting. He's definitely double clutching.

BTW: to double clutch downshift you would clutch in and shift to neutral - slutch out - blurp the throttle - clutch in and downshift clutch out.

Our computers take care of the throttle blurp for us. Anyboody else notice that our RPMs don't drop to near idle like the older manual tranny cars?

Other Current Rides:
2000 VW Jetta TDI
1996 F250 Powerstroke
Past Rides:
1984 BMW 745i (You won't believe what a 4 dr. sedan can do with a factory twin turbo 3.5 I-6)
1983 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0
1979 Mercur

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-08-07 21:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
163 Posts
I understand the double clutching process, but I do not understand what double clutching buy us?

It appears to me as if this method takes more time and will result in less speed and power.

·
Registered
223 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-07 21:38, Lou6969 wrote:
I understand the double clutching process, but I do not understand what double clutching buy us?

It appears to me as if this method takes more time and will result in less speed and power.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Lou

Double clutching was needed to synchronize the gears in manual transmissions. Sometimes you would shift correctly and the gears would mesh sometimes they wouldn't and you would have to quickly reengage the clutch so you didn't grind the gears too bad.

This isn't needed in our newer transmissions but it still sounds cool to do.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have noticed that if I floor the gas for just a split second after I complete a shift, the car makes that buuuurrp-brooowwl Steve McQueen type noise. Makes me feel nice and fuzzy all over, too!

The CatSmasher

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yea TXBullitt, I've noticed the difference you're talking about. I still have the habit of trying to match RPMs myself after years of driving 69 fastbacks. The computer's nice to have once you get used to it.

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-07 16:35, Bullitt 717 wrote:
Anyone know the specifics on how to shift and make the pop like McQueen? If it involves power shifting I'm not going to do it. Any ideas from anyone?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Double Clutching???? NOT! Check out the link.
http://people.freenet.de/pony/bullittnews.htm

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've read that before, about the dubbed sound. It's crap. A lot of the driving noises came from the mic they had installed along the firewall right behind the passenger exhaust manifold. I saw a few interviews on A&E years ago & they interviewed McQueen & several other people involved in the making of Bullitt & LeMans. One of the interesting things was that no trick photography or editing was done in either movie to achieve "special" scenes or sounds. IMO, that's what makes those older car movies so much better than, say, the new Gone in 60 Seconds. It looks & sounds realistic, not computer generated or perfected with re-editing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont think he was actually "double-clutching"...he was just "blipping" the throttle while shifting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I am shifting up through the gears, the RPM will actually spike about 200-300 RPM and I get that nice growl. No need to double clutch with this baby!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts