Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get a few pointers before they get here. I got the H&R SS springs (thanks Matt) and just curious as to an easy way to get them in, other than taking it to a shop and having someone eles do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome thanks. Also, I have heard of people not using the stock plastics so the car sits even lower, are these the isolators? and If so, is it a bad thing not to use them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
awesome thanks. Also, I have heard of people not using the stock plastics so the car sits even lower, are these the isolators? and If so, is it a bad thing not to use them?
Those are the isolators and I dont like the thought of metal to metal, it could cause problems or noise and more road vibration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
Spring installs are very easy and can be accompished without much grief at all. A spring compressor "may" come in handy. I say "may" because some springs that I have installed simply slid into place without the need for compression. This is becuase they were so much shorter than stock. I also recommend sticking with isolators.

Now, not all spring installs are simple. I installed Moroso Trick Front Springs iin my fox coupe. They are quite a bit taller than stock. I cut 1 and 1/2 coils out of them to get the ride height I wanted and thought I'd just be able to compress them and slap them in. Boy was I wrong. I ended up compressing them, hooking a chain through them, and using a come-along anchored to the opposite A arm and literally forced them in! It took all day to get them in the way I wanted them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats why I asked. Thanks again. the hardest spring install was a coil over kit on my 68 coupe. you had to compress the spring and at the same time bracket the spring to the shock. that was REALLY annoying.
 

·
Car Whisperer
Joined
·
20,780 Posts
a local shop did mine for $100. it really wasn't worth it iin my case to mess with it in the driveway.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
Having just did one on mine last weekend, the Mustang world article is pretty complete. They come right out. Didn't need any kind of spring compressor. Used a pry bar to pop them out of the seat and they come right out. Go in just as easy. I used the stock Isolators. We did springs, shocks, struts, and rear brakes all the same day. Took about 5 hours total. If we would have done just the springs probably a couple of hours max.

My shocks and to a certain extent my struts were shot. It was a good time to do all of them since you have the suspension apart anyway. I can tell you that the struts do not come off easily. You will need two people and a big crescent wrench to get them babies off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
You stole my springs!!! hahah kidding, your are just a quicker draw than me;):) Springs should be pretty simple, and defiantly keep isolators of some sort. Good luck and post many pics because our cars are similar, I'm leaning towards the ss's as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
Just trying to get a few pointers before they get here. I got the H&R SS springs (thanks Matt) and just curious as to an easy way to get them in, other than taking it to a shop and having someone eles do it.
You might want to write an obituary for you front clip after this spring install...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
You might want to write an obituary for you front clip after this spring install...
I would have to agree there. I have the Eibach Pro Kit and I will probably be removing the chin spoiler. Although mine has aready seen better days prior to the spring install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bullitt Brad said:
You might want to write an obituary for you front clip after this spring install...
And my front lip sits about an 1 1/2 inches lower than the Mach 1 lip. I allready need to get it fixed from a bad night coming down otta the folks steep driveway. I came down to straight. after this i wont be able to park in the driveway periode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
I would have to agree there. I have the Eibach Pro Kit and I will probably be removing the chin spoiler. Although mine has aready seen better days prior to the spring install.
I have the pro kit with a chin spoiler,havent had a problem with it hitting any thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Black4592 said:
You stole my springs!!! hahah kidding, your are just a quicker draw than me;):) Springs should be pretty simple, and defiantly keep isolators of some sort. Good luck and post many pics because our cars are similar, I'm leaning towards the ss's as well.
HAHAHA no no, he and I talked about those springs a looooonnnggggg time ago. lol long before he put up the thread in the Swap meet. the shocks and struts and still for sale though. I didnt buy those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
HAHAHA no no, he and I talked about those springs a looooonnnggggg time ago. lol long before he put up the thread in the Swap meet. the shocks and struts and still for sale though. I didnt buy those.
:);) Its all good! Remember, pics pics pics!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top