Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a squeak when clutching between 3&4000 rpm. It doesn't happen at any other rpm. I only have 1000km (600miles) on it so I've been waiting to see if it goes away.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? :???:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Canadian Bullitt on 2001-12-09 21:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a definate sound during shifting at high rpm. It's not really a squeek like something coming from the pedal but it's a sound coming from the clutch itself I think. It's more like a high pitched sound you would expect to come from a really high speed wood saw. The sound is very hard to detect but does happen as soon as I push in the clutch. It doesn't sound like a bad sound or a sound of something going wrong, just different. I thought it might be a characteristic of the bullitt clutch. Anyone else hear this?

DHG #2325

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeh, Canadian Bullitt, I have the same thing with my car. I'm having trouble figuring out where the sound is coming from, though. It's done it since I took delivery and I have 5200 kms on it now. Doesn't seem to be getting worse or better as time goes on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! The sound does seem to be coming from the clutch itself. I will be taking it to the dealer in the spring (its going to be stored for the winter) so I let you know what I find out. :grin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think it's a defect Canada, just a characteristic. Remember we have bigger clutches than the GT's. This is just one more way that our cars are unique. When we start taking them in for every sound we hear we are messing up. What we need to do is pay attention to the voice of our cars and enjoy it. Each car has it's own personality and personally I love the personality of my Bullitt. I wouldn't change a thing. Sure there are things that aren't perfect, but if Pacasso drew perfect paintings he wouldn't sell a one. They are works of art and pieces of history, enjoy your cars.

After all that rambling I would also like to hear what you find out about the clutch squeek just from a mechanical couriosity point of view.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello all,

What you are hearing sounds exactly what I experienced in my '99 Cobra...the clutch throwout bearing (the bearing around the clutch forks, that moves in and out when engaging or releasing the clutch pedal). Apparantly, it wasn't aligned properly in the clutch assembly, or fell quickly out of alignment. Mine started to squeal with only about 3000 miles on it.

It was notorious on the Cobra (and all the other dozens of problems Ford had to sort out with that car). They even issued an TSB for it---fully warrantied! They replaced it, no problem.

Keep in mind that our Bullitt clutch is a direct decendant of the Cobra's system (if not exactly the same). So...it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the same problem!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I get a humming noise when I first crank the car up. Then after its warmed up, it slowly disappeares.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts