Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I have gotten my Bullitt, one of the right side brakes squeals like a pig when I use the brakes. I have had it in for a loose ground wire and told ford to check the brakes due to the squeal. All I got back was that the brakes were working properly. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the squeal or why it is occurring. It is irratating as hell. :evil:greeny

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer (perhaps another one than the one you took it to) and demand they fix it. Breaks shouldn't squeal, its as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
would think its the rear because the front pads outer is held by springs to the caliper and the innner is held by springs to the actual pistons.
The rears have a spring that forces them down and then the edges of the pad back have the typical spring that the pad rides on the calipers back and forth. Have you tried to see if the squeak goes away when putting the emergency brake on? Naturally in a safe place....
At least if it goes away then you know its the rears..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine squeal pretty bad sometimes too. It's very irritating.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was told that it is because of the metallic pads that new cars use. My brakes squeal like a pig too. Two different dealers told me that, so maybe there is "some" truth to it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I will be taking mine in for some paint work after the new year and I will hear what they have to say about the brakes. I will let you all know the outcome - at least here we have a voice!

The Bullitt is awesome! :evil: (Mean, not mad)

Bullitt #03457 Dark Highland Green
The car I just had to have...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt#03457-Gr on 2001-12-21 23:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I heard if you remove the wheel, remove the brake pads, and use maybe 80-grain sandpaper on the pads as well as the rotors, it will quit squeaking. Usually the squeaking is caused by a part of the pad hardening (Contact should be soft/hard, not hard/hard - with pads/rotors respectively). I'm a little wary of doing this myself because I've never done it on a mustang before, but I'll probably give it a try in the new year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may try that after this one more attempt at the dealer. I really have not given the dealership (or my warranty) a chance. When I had it in the first time my main concern was the loss of power that turned out to be a loose ground wire.

I love working on my car except when it has a warranty. Brakes have been the one area I have always wanted to master ever since I paid for having "new" brakes put on my other cars. So I may try that.

:evil: Mean, not Mad

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ok, but why are most of us having this squeal on the right side? I haven't read of anyone having the left side squeal. I hesitate to touch the brakes w/o my bro who used to be a Ford mechanic. We worked on my '95 GT brakes earlier this summer and put some anti-squeal compound on the back side of the brake pads. Anyone tried this yet?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i've got to be honest with you,... this may be my BIGGEST complaint about my Bullitt. i'm driving a beautiful car that's a blast to drive and almost never fails to put a grin on my face BUT..... the brakes squeal soooo freakin bad sometimes that people turn around to look at me. now THAT'S embarrassing for a $27,000.00 car!! cold weather and warm weather,...no difference!
i changed brake pads breifly(LONG HORROR STORY) and even paid for the front rotors to be "turned" out of my own pocket and it made NO difference.
it's sad and embarassing for me

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a similar problem with my BULLITT, but it's not really loud. It sometimes squeals midway through the pedal travel, then other times nothing. I'll have to get some more miles on my car to see if it goes away, I can still see some of the machining hatch marks on my rotors. Maybe that's it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey #388 (or anyone in the know),
Can you explain the difference between EBCs and OEMs and what they actually are. I assume that they are the pads. I have always toyed with the idea of having more enduring pads put on that don't dust up the wheels. please elaborate...

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-26 11:23, Mid Life Crisis #388 wrote:
I put the EBC's on front and rear and have never heard a squeak out of them. AND they are truly dust free. But then I never heard anything out of the oems either..

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
EBCs make three or four different level of pads. Regular pads when they get hot start emitting gas and then you get brake fade. The racing pads can take the heat but they are not sticky untill you PUT heat into them. Not good for coming up to the first stop sign leaving the house in winter....
So I went with the EBC green street. They take a lot more heat than regular street pads, plus they are kevlar and are dustless. PLUS they are very sticky. I would just get the fronts and pass on the rears. Seeing as they do not make the right width pad anyway for the bullitt and if you wanted to put them on you would have to sand down 1-2mm of pad.
So far they are truly dustless and squeak free. They feel the same until you start to get into them and then under heavier braking it takes less pedal to get more braking.

The only thing I found on our OEM pads were I believe they were by PBK, (something like that) and in one of the articles they were listed as Non-metalic. (Anything non-metalic is now called organic)
Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2004-11-15 10:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. Thanks 388. But what does those letters stand for? And where can I get some?

Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks 388 - you are a lesson on brakes. Now please tell me how to make a $million in 3 months or less!

Seriously, thanks a lot for the info - it was quite informative.

(I worked on cars - AMCs - back in the late 70s early 80s. They are a whoole lot different now. And my career does not offer a lot of time to tinker on them - yet!)

Dark Highland :-B

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
no problem you are welcome Bullitt#03457-Gr,
AND if I knew what to tell you to make a millon in three months then I would have been able to have bought more than ONE Bullitt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just hoping for as detailed a reply concerning the $million as you gave for the brakes.

And yes, I would also have one in each color (maybe two) and an original '68 fastback and (a dream of mine) a GT 350 or 500!

...or maybe I'll get married and get a aerostar :sad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts