Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Since someone else brought this up in another topic, I figured I'd make a new topic about it).

As others have noticed, I've also noticed the squeaky brakes problem with my Bullitt. Unfortunately, I'm at ~5000 miles. I mentioned it to my dad and he said there's no way in hell that Ford would do warranty work on brakes. (He's been a Ford man all his life and used to work for Ford). So, my question is would I have a problem getting a dealership to do such Ford warranty work with 5000 miles of brake usage? Any "excuses" work better than others?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been wondering the samething. I've told my dealership a couple of times already. Next time I'm in for an oil change I will see if they will do something. I have 8000 miles and the cars been like this since day one.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've got 5800 miles and my brakes are starting to squeak too. Dang it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
4800 and the squeelin' started about 3000.. Haven't done anything about it just thought I would get better pads when I service the brakes later.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Same here, squealing for as long as I can remember, thought it would get better, just hit 10k miles, and no difference. If I pump the pedal a couple of times it stops, but it always does it the first time I press the pedal. :sad:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I asked my pops about it, he said that he thinks that it is because the pads are harder to reduce brake dust, who knows, I got the same answer from 3 dif service depts aswell

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have 7000 miles and the brakes have made noise the entire time.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mine squeal, keep getting worse, real high pitched piercing....people turn to look, not because of the cool exhaust sound anymore, but my brakes...this is insane, they shouldn't do that...I have less than 650 miles on mine!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,175 Posts
I wonder why some squeel at lower miles than some? Mine did not start till later miles (about 5-6,000). I was just going to wait till I needed new pads, too, to see if that helps. In the meantime, while they turn their heads to see what all the noise is about, they check out the car while they're at it! :grin:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Maybe its a glazing problem? My brakes didn't start squealing until I did my first 100+ run. After that, its been an joyful earache.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-17 19:44, Railcop094 wrote:
I've got 5800 miles and my brakes are starting to squeak too. Dang it.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
DITTO!
I've got 5400, they started sqeaking MONDAY!
Just a slight squeak, for now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey Bullittbro1, if their reason for the squeal is cause the pads are harder to reduce dusting, they did a really crappy job. These things dust more than I've ever seen. I think that's why they painted the center of the wheel grey, so it would hide the dust.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a 1999 Yamaha Banshee (quad) that after a short period of time the brakes squeeked. You can spray PJ1 on them to clear the dust which is what makes them squeek, but it will come back after awhile. There is another thread on here about this that addresses the squeeking. Solution is to buy some high perf. brake pads.

BTW, PJ1 is a contact cleaner that dries with no residue. I used PJ1 to clean the disk brakes on my Banshee. PJ1 can be found at many motorcycle shops.

Hopes this helps!

·
Registered
83 Posts
As a Heavy Duty Mechanic at a Truck dealership here's my 2 cents worth on brake squeal. Heavy duty/high performance brake pads are made to be used. If they're not used aggressively enough, the pads will then develope a hard glaze and this causes the vibration or squealing. The first thing most drivers do is go easy on the brakes which makes the problem worse. I take there trucks out on the open highway and burnish or drag the brakes long enough to heat and burn off this coating and then keep going to cool everything down a bit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, what's the best thing to do? Find an open stretch of highway, bring the car up to 100MPH and slam on the brakes? Or would it be better to ride the brakes for a while? How long would "a while" be?

·
Registered
83 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE> So, what's the best thing to do? Find an open stretch of highway, bring the car up to 100MPH and slam on the brakes? Or would it be better to ride the brakes for a while? How long would "a while" be? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
With highway tractors i just keep my right foot planted on the fuel and ride the brakes with the left for say half a minute and then release for a couple minutes. Do this five or six times and after cooling see how they are. I've dragged them enough to see smoke but you may not have to heat them up that much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2002-01-21 00:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Being a former Ford mechanic, my brother told me this about my '89 LX. Said to drive it around the block with my foot on the brake to burn off the glaze. It's only a temporary solution, though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I started a string regarding this issue earlier. I have been meaning to have the brakes checked when I can get it back to the shop. But since then the squealing has subsided slightly and is less of a problem. I did start out light on the brakes and I notice when I brake if I press harder it tends to kill the squeal. There was an excellent reply regarding upgrading the brake pads. Check that out in the earlier string.

Bullitt #03457 Dark Highland Green
The car I just had to have...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt#03457-Gr on 2002-01-21 18:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
83 Posts
"DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT" for a while and see it the problem comes back. It should have the brakes to do it with. The only other solution is to get some softer pads. I've also seen gobs of silicon like adhesive put behind pads when they're mounted to try and isolate vibration, but that's not a sure fix.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
once again, this is my BIGGEST complaint about my Bullitt.
mine didn't start to squeal until around 3000 miles on the odometer then BOOM,..squeal city!
mine do NOT squeal when the brakes are cold, only when they get warm and like Dona said, sometimes it's so bad that people turn and look. other times it's not as noticable!
but over time, since 3000 miles, it's definately gotten worse!
even turned my rotors in the front....no difference

1 - 20 of 44 Posts