Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

squeal or whine from rear wheels

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RCSignals 
#1 ·
have developed a sort of whine or squeal noise from rear wheels when turning tight example in a parking lot and turning the car on its turning radius without pinning the steering getting a mid pitched whine from what sounds to me like right rear wheel anyone have any experience with this noise or can offer any input . thanks. Just for the record low speed not a tire or rubber squeal

#2 ·
I have had that same issue shortly after I bought mine in June. Low speeds left or right hard turn. The dealer said that it was normal and there was nothing they could do. However, when I returned home I looked at the rear axle and there was oil on the axle where the filler plug would be. I found a TSB for 05-07 8.8 inch rears calling for a new clutch pack for older mustangs or adding a friction additive for mustangs built after 10/22/06. TSB # is: TSB 07-22-8. Can't remember where I found it. Noise has subsided quite a bit, but comes back every now and then. Man I hate dealers.

I am also having other issues with my drivetrain and will address them later in the forums when I get a chance. I just wanted to reply to this real quick.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

#3 ·
Thank you dealer told me it was normal and had a blurb about high performance rear end traction clutch package I copied it to another post on this site seemed to make sense hmmm now i wonder.

#4 ·
found see special service message in the service department threads on this site a copy of the service message is posted there.

#7 · (Edited)
At your next scheduled oil change. Tell the service manager to add Friction Modifier to your rear differential and it will go away.

Mine would whine after I ran the car hard and I would make a slow 90 degree turn. I had them put the friction modifier in and it doesnt do it anymore.

#8 ·
I have heard this argument before, that since it is a 'high-performance car' it makes 'high-performance noises.' To me that is a sorry excuse for poor engineering and quality control. I find it pretty embarrassing when I drive around a parking lot next to Nissans, Subarus, Mitsubishis, Porsches, etc. etc. etc. and my car is the only one that makes 'high-performance noises.' It seems that people that drive American muscle cars are the only ones who accept the shortfalls that their cars have.

My dad encountered the same excuse on a Corvette forum when discussing his noisy C6 Z06. Someone said, "it's a race car, it's gonna sound like a race car!" That's funny since the year after that, Chevy changed the design of the Z06 clutch packs that were making noises. Every dealership is gonna give you the same lame excuse when there is nothing they can really do about it. They don't have the technical knowledge to explain what's going on, and frankly they just don't care. Now that's not to say that there aren't some employees at dealerships that may want to help you out. They are just pressured from the manufacturer to keep warranty costs down and try to shoo the customer away.

Just look at the problems with our Tremec 5-speeds. They have been making them for how long in our Mustangs and they still have synchro problems? I guess that's what happens when they are 'Hecho en Mexico.' Look, I sell dimensional inspection equipment to manufacturing companies, and somehow I doubt how Ford's quality is equal to or better than its foreign counterparts. Sometimes I regret not buying a higher quality brand.

#10 ·
screaming_pc said:
At your next scheduled oil change. Tell the service manager to add Friction Modifier to your rear differential and it will go away.

Mine would whine after I ran the car hard and I would make a slow 90 degree turn. I had them put the friction modifier in and it doesnt do it anymore.
I went over to Dennis G's today and let him drive my 08. I asked him about that funny noise when turning at slow speeds and he said it was caused by the TC in the rear end. He turned the TC off and it seemed to get worse IMO. Is this normal for most of you out there. I guess I will get the Friction Modifier added to make this terrible noise go away?

Marty

#11 ·
RCSignals said:
It's the carbon fibre clutches, not poor engineering or poor quality control. I'm glad we didn't get the regular mill clutches for the Bullitt premium
How come there is a TSB for 8.8 inch Mustang GTs for the exact same problem? Manufacturer's don't issue a TSB unless there is a performance-related or customer complaint-related problem. In my opinion, that is a poor engineering decision. You might disagree, but I don't know why.

Is the Mustang (Bullitt or non-Bullitt, I don't know) the only car being made with carbon fiber clutches in its differential? Somehow I doubt it, but are they notoriously loud like ours? I drive a lot and hear a lot of other cars, have not heard something like that before. Like I said, it is embarrasing when compared to the Mustang's competition.

#12 ·
Feshdogg said:
How come there is a TSB for 8.8 inch Mustang GTs for the exact same problem? Manufacturer's don't issue a TSB unless there is a performance-related or customer complaint-related problem. In my opinion, that is a poor engineering decision. You might disagree, but I don't know why.

Is the Mustang (Bullitt or non-Bullitt, I don't know) the only car being made with carbon fiber clutches in its differential? Somehow I doubt it, but are they notoriously loud like ours? I drive a lot and hear a lot of other cars, have not heard something like that before. Like I said, it is embarrasing when compared to the Mustang's competition.
The Mustang GT does not share the same rear assembly, and does not have carbon fibre clutches. The Shelby GT500 and the GT500KR have carbon fibre disks. I believe the Ford GT does as well.
The TSB for the Mustang GT is an older one anyway as I recall, unless it has been renewed, and does not apply to the Bullitt

the Mustangs competition (you haven't defined what it is) does not have carbon fibre disks. The Dodges don't even have real limited slip, and have a much weaker differential assembly.

If yours is especially loud, take it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.