Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now, my brakes sound like they are squealing and something sounds like it is scraping with every rotation, while I drive, towards the rear right wheel. This is happening while driving without touching the brakes. When I do apply the brakes, they squeal as loud as an old school bus. A while back I took it to sears after I had my tires put on and they pulled the pads and said they were fine, just wearing a little uneven. The rotors might be a little glazed, but what is causing them to continually squeal while driving?

My neighbor mentioned that maybe the rear brake lines are cracked and aren't allowing the fluid back up, keeping my callipers squeezing the rotors.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Very first question is:

How many miles is on the car?

Question #2... Have the pads ever been replaced?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. ~ 66,000 miles
2. Yes, I think they were changed right before I got the car (Oct 2007)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
thoughts.....

Are you sure it is a brake squeel? Sometimes I have seen a squeel end up being a rock stuck between the pad and rotor. If the pads are clear of debris and in good shape, try swapping sides with the pads (left to right) and drive it. If the sound changes sides, then buy new pads and replace or turn the rotors. Sometimes pads can get noisy with time and hard driving. What pads were used (if you know)? If you do need to replace the pads, I can recomend (for obvious reasons, as i work for a Ford dealer) Motorcraft replacements (for quiet operation). I have Hawk HPS pads on 2445, and can say they are great performing, quiet pads.

If the sound stays in the same spot, it is not a brake sound, but more likely a bearing going or gone out. If this is the case, get it checked yesterday. It may already be too late, but save your axle best you can. If a bearing has burned out, you run the risk of damaging the axle if you drive it too much.

There is not much else in that area of the car that rotates and can make a noise. I hope it is the most simple thing, because I hate having to tear into a rear end just to do axle bearings, but if that's what it takes, then go with it.

Best of luck with it, and let us know!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a lot of squeaks and noises that go on back there. It almost sounds like when I go over bumps my shocks or something squeak like crazy too. I hope it's not something bad, like bearings, because I'm not going to be able to get it checked out until June because I am on an externship in pharmacy every day during the week from 6:30am-4:30pm and work the weekends this month.

There is a constant squeal and scraping noises I can hear at low speeds but when I apply the brakes the squealing sound multiplies and is an ear-peircing squeal. It's quite embarrasing driving around. I haven't tried pulling the e-brake. I can try that tomorrow and see if anything happens, but I don't want to start using that for my brakes until June.

I'll keep ya'll up to date if I can get the car in sooner and find out the problem. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Pulling the e-brake on our cars engages the brakes manually, not another set of brakes. So pulling that will only confirm a braking problem (which you already know) not which componant it is. The reason I am not ruling out bearings yet is the different forces on the bearings from regular driving to braking can make different noises under different loads.

As for the squeek going over bumps, I would look at the control arm bushings. Mustangs are famous for it (and 02445 suffers from it too, at least until it goes under the knife in a few weeks.) To test if they are going bad, spray WD-40 on them after driving, then go back out. If that squeek goes away, then you need bushings. Continue testing until you find the bushing that is squeeking to know which one it is. Most times, all of the rear bushings are replace all at once to prevent making another one go bad while working on it.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Using the hand brake was suggested to isolate the front and rear brake system.
Sometimes sounds can be deceiving when on the passenger side as to if they are front or rear.

It almost sounds like a brake warning tab hitting the rotor. I don't remember the OEM's having the tab but if they have been changed before maybe the replacements do.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You might have a sticking caliper,which is not uncommon.It's symptom is similar to what you are describing.It could be a number of things already stated in this thread,just boils down to numbering them down!!Good luck!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Uh, mine has been squealing since day one, and still squeals to this day! Original pads, original owner. That's how you can tell it's a Bullitt! :grin:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Bullitt4204 said:
Uh, mine has been squealing since day one, and still squels to this day! Original pads, original owner. That's how you can tell it's a Bullitt! :grin:
Mine squeals a little to, I can live with it because It's A BULLITT. lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
my passenger side rear does squeal sometimes. haha!! I guess its not just mine :p. It has since the day i bought it. haha I gave up worrying about it a couple of years ago and regarded it as just the way it is. I have no problems with mine. Although yours sounds more severe than mine.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
1LOW03GT said:
You might have a sticking caliper,which is not uncommon.It's symptom is similar to what you are describing.It could be a number of things already stated in this thread,just boils down to numbering them down!!Good luck!

My bet ... a little glaze and a sticky caliper especially if the car is driven in rain, snow and ice. A little cleaning of the sliding surfaces, and a little caliper lube may make a big difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts