Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I set up a temporary ram air on my car. I want to eventually get the Banshee Ram Air Shaker, but it's not due out for a while. So I went and got some flexable dryer ducting and ran it from the air filter box to the fog light opening. Seemed to really wake up the motor getting the cooler air. But what started happening is that after driving on the highway at high speeds and getting off at the exit, it would stall. The RPM's would just drop and then, lights out. Was the car reacting to the change in air intake? From it having air rammed in, then none at all and having to breathe on it's own? Anyone else have this trouble? I'd like to know what to expect before going out and buying the Banshee system and a new hood to go with it. I think I've fixed the problem by taking the duct out of the hole and just letting it hang in the fender well. Still gets cooler air, just not as much.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Not normal. TONS of GT and others have done similiar mods I don't remembering hearing about this. Did you disconnect your MAF to put the duct work in? IF so check the connection. Also is your check engine light coming on? Course you can always just disconnect it and see if it stops, that would defiently tell you.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I just put the duct in. No other mods. The check engine light doesn't come on. The car just shuts off. I know others have done this simple mod, and I can't understnad what's happened.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stalling has stopped now that I've shortened the duct and taken it out of the bumper, but the rpms still drop a bit and then recover during the off ramp scenario. Could this be caused by a sudden change in air temperature? I haven't sealed the air intake, just taken the silencer out and put the duct in. There is still a bit of a gap, so hotter engine compartment air can still be sucked in. Any suggestions? Ideas?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
In a former life (last month), I drove something other than a Bullitt...

My Subaru 2.5 RS was pretty finicky about its air intake. The stock unit had several bellows to reduce noise, but replace that sucker with a cold air unit and it'll make a few more HP.

After any box mod, we had to reset the computer (disconnect the battery for 30 minutes) and let it relearn.

Otherwise the check engine light would come on.

It was very sensitive-- just removing the small grill on the bumper to get more pressured air to the cold air unit made the light come on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Engine cutting off maybe due to the new condition you have created, with all that cold air going pass the MAF sensor.Drive it for while and let the computor get use to the new system. GM calls it learn block memory and I don't know if Ford computer use this or not.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone that helped me out with this one. I still have the shortened duct on good ol'2759 as a temporary mod 'til I figure out what I want to do about the Banshee Shaker Ram Air system. Yes/no? Iduhknow. I think you're correct Byron on this issue. The dipping of rpm's after I took the duct out of the bumper has gone away. I guess the computer had to learn what to do with the extra air. I kinda thought it was something like that.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd stick with what you've got; I doubt the Banshee will be much of a noticable mod. When the air path has to make a 90* turn to get to the intake, it's not really "Ram Air" anymore. Also, the scoop on it's kinda small compared to what we've got now, even if theirs is "functional." I just don't think it's worth $1,000+. But, I'll reserve final judgement for when they actually come out witht the kit.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Why not just put a DenseCharger on?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhhhh good points and questions. I agree with you Rancorkeeper about the Banshee, but that Shaker scoop is so very cool. As it is, it's a idea, not sure I'll ever follow through because of the cost. And TrueBlues question, why not just use a Densecharger? I kinda figure I'm doing the same thing with the dryer duct for a whole lot less bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Y2K, what year is your AMX?
i'd love to see a pic. that's one of my favorite cars (on a very long list-LOL)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marty, it's a 1969. I'm sorry I don't have any digital pictures of it to download. But it's stock with correct Magnum 500 wheels. Hunter Green Metallic (not quite as dark as the Bullitt) with white "over-the-top" Go Pack stripes. Saddle interior. Took it to the all AMC drags a few years ago. The best times were 14.1, 99.9 mph. I didn't think that was too bad considering the engine's completely stock except for a 30 over bore and ran street tires. I placed second in the final eliminatons. Last race I came off the line with wheel spin and lost valuable time. Ended up being beaten by a woman in a ratty looking '70 AMX with a 360. She was very cool. What a great day it was......even though I did loose to a girl. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
sound like a fantastic AMX
LOL, careful with the "girl" comments(i know you were kidding) we've got 5 or 6 pretty cool women here who are regulars.
let's see...Vickie, Joyce, Tracy(Bullittgirl), Kay(& jimmy), dang i know i'm forgetting 1 or 2

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-16 12:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes ladies! I WAS KIDDING!!!! Please don't hurt me. :smile:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Y2K, have a good friend here in st.louis that's in the concrete business who has a 69 AMX. he has just returned from a car show where he trailered his baby to it.(indiana?, can't remember) he has a brand new engine in his that's custom built and i think he told me it's cranks out about 400 RW HP! ( he blew up the original engine)will let you know if he can email me a pic!!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Marty, I'd love to see it. I may have already seen it too. The AMC/AMX hobby is very close knit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-16 11:07, Y2K16T8 wrote:
Ended up being beaten by a woman in a ratty looking '70 AMX with a 360. She was very cool. What a great day it was......even though I did loose to a girl. :wink:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't mind if I look like less of a threat being female-just makes the kill that much sweeter :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
good one tracy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts