Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the embarrassment of going to start up your car and all it does is turn over forever like a Yugo out of gas? I thought these cars were made w/out a return line fuel injection system. Any thoughts or ideas before I go leaving it at the dealership for 3 weeks to learn it was a bad fuel filter!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Could be a bad fuel pump!
My 92 GT went thru 3 pumps in 2 days before it acted right...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Condition is stated as normal. Turn the key to on, wait a few seconds, then crank the starter. Should start. I agree it's bogus, but it appears to be the nature of the fuel system on these cars.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sounds like the fuel system is depressurizing. Typically, this relates to a leaky check valve in the fuel pump. Not having dived into the fuel system on this car yet, I am assuming the pump assembly is the same as previous cars with full return systems.

Brian

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I've got the same problem. Every once in a while I'll start the car and it sounds like it's about to stall. It always catches itself though and is fine. Don't like it, but it's not an everyday thing and I can't reproduce it on demand.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-17 03:32, DrivingSimulators wrote:
Condition is stated as normal. Turn the key to on, wait a few seconds, then crank the starter. Should start. I agree it's bogus, but it appears to be the nature of the fuel system on these cars.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey you must have read the owners book too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i've got it too. seems to have gone away after i changed plugs.

i saw something on OASIS at the dealer where i work about this. i'll check on it in more detail.

if i remember right it is a known concern with no fix yet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This happens to me quite frequently. It usually happens after the car has been driven for an amount of time, shut off, and restarted in a short period of time. It typically happens if I stop and quickly run into a store then return to the car. It will crank over for some time before it finally catches. Often I have to stop cranking and try it a second time. This plus the death rattle make me enjoy the car more than I ever thought I could. It's too bad Ford didn't spend the money they wasted advertising that "Ford Quality is Job 1" on actually making quality products.

Eric

·
Registered
311 Posts
Happens to me too despite the dealership looking into it and replacing a part... But there's a simple solution to get it to catch instantaneously (as opposed to 10 seconds later)--give it a little gas while starting. I know you should never do that with a fuel-injected car but it does solve it...
<font color=00C0FF>True-Blue Bullitt #2294
<font color=FF0000>Red '94 Cougar V8 (for sale)
<font color=0088FF>Chicago (Lincoln Park), IL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BUL2294 on 2002-04-11 14:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-04-11 14:24, BUL2294 wrote:
Happens to me too despite the dealership looking into it and replacing a part... But there's a simple solution to get it to catch instantaneously (as opposed to 10 seconds later)--give it a little gas while starting. I know you should never do that with a fuel-injected car but it does solve it...
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, that is what I do when it doesn't catch at first. Fixes it everytime.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You nailed it Bullitt00208. That is exactly how my operates. I can't think of a time when it wasn't a warm engine. Never happened on first start of the day. Would love to figure out why it is happening.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
i experienced this at the worst possible time: getting into my car as three very hot girls walked by and it "stalled" 2 times in a row! they thought it was hillarious. anyway, i left small cloud of tire vapors for them to inhale as i drove away
Bullitt#890 DHG

·
Registered
302 Posts
Isn't that one of Murphy's laws. Hot babe walks by car won't start. Hot babe walks by car stalls. Hot babe walks by you dump the clutch stall the car. Hot babe walks by hears you sing along to Muskrat Love.

IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE NUMBER 5407 IS PAINTED BLUE!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mr.pj on 2002-04-12 11:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mr.pj on 2002-04-12 11:06 ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts