Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the most annoying steering squeal ever. Anytime I turn the wheel even the slightest bit I hear a squeal/sqeak near the wheel. It also occurs when I go over bumps in the road, i can hear that same noise. I've eliminated the wheel bearing as an issue, as the noise only occurs when i turn. My best guess is that it's coming from either end of the tie rod, probably the joint that has the rubber boot. Anyone else ever had a problem whith this noise? Sounds like something needs to be replaced : (

I'm relatively new to fords so I don't know much about the steering system. On my old gmc I had nubs where I could go in and grease these joints if they became squeaky. Any ideas?

·
Registered
987 Posts
It could b the joints but if they were bad they would make a poping sound. Check the steering rack.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Mine was a ball joint.
I replaced them both, of course.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Check the fluid in the power steering reservoir. Mine (and others) have a small leak that I have been unable to find!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P-51 Bullitt said:
Check the fluid in the power steering reservoir. Mine (and others) have a small leak that I have been unable to find!
Power steering fluid seems to be topped off. The noise is originating either from the tie rod end or the ball joint, or possibly from the flex joint (rubber boot) near the center of the steering system. I'm going to try to put it up on jackstands and take a video, and hopefully that will help narrow it down.

Are any of these potential problems a costly fix? I've replaced tie rods before but from the looks of it, I may potentially have to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had that! When it was new it would do it sometimes, when you were turning at low speeds and going over bumps at low speeds. At higher speeds (25+) never. It finally stoped, then the I got a power steering fluid leak and they had to change the rack and whole 9 yards (end seals were shot or something).

Guess what returned when I got the new one? Thats right all the squeaking! I took off the dust boots and lubed under them real good on each side with teflon grease (packed it in there and rubbed the seals really well to condition them), then really worked the steering wheel from extreme to extreme periodically (especially when the squeal came back over the next year or 2) and it kept getting further between incidents until now I don't have it anymore.

However, it was embarressing to have a newer car that squealed. I came to reason that if I had not been turning the wheels fully both directions frequently enough, then no lubrication was getting pushed around and, so it would squeal at low speeds like around parking lots, etc.

I don't know if you have the same trouble, or maybe my "fix" didn't fix a thing and it just went away, but the above, and time, seemed to fix it for me. Good Luck! Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Started up the car a month or so ago and it seemed to come out of nowhere. Looking through the sites it seems to be the tie rods and the bushings. Should be an easy fix I hope

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clarktl said:
I had that! When it was new it would do it sometimes, when you were turning at low speeds and going over bumps at low speeds. At higher speeds (25+) never. It finally stoped, then the I got a power steering fluid leak and they had to change the rack and whole 9 yards (end seals were shot or something).

Guess what returned when I got the new one? Thats right all the squeaking! I took off the dust boots and lubed under them real good on each side with teflon grease (packed it in there and rubbed the seals really well to condition them), then really worked the steering wheel from extreme to extreme periodically (especially when the squeal came back over the next year or 2) and it kept getting further between incidents until now I don't have it anymore.

However, it was embarressing to have a newer car that squealed. I came to reason that if I had not been turning the wheels fully both directions frequently enough, then no lubrication was getting pushed around and, so it would squeal at low speeds like around parking lots, etc.

I don't know if you have the same trouble, or maybe my "fix" didn't fix a thing and it just went away, but the above, and time, seemed to fix it for me. Good Luck! Let us know what you find out.
I think that's what I've narrowed it down to. Any idea how to get those boot clamps off? I looked under the car a second ago and it doesn't look like i can get them off without a special tool. What can i do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts