Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I noticed a small leak form 2445 yesterday and pinpointed the problem to the rack and pinion. It seems to be leaking a very small amount from the drivers side boot. Since I detailed that area 3 weeks ago, and it only took about 1 oz of fluid to fill up, I know it must be fairly recent.

My question is, is there a seal that I can replace under the boot or do I need to replace the entire rack and pinion? AutoZone want $175 for a new rack, and $25 for new tie rod ends.

The other question would have to be, is this really all that hard to change out? I could take personnal day and use the shop where I have my jack and jack stands and enough tools to make Tim Taylor drool. I am confident I could pull it off, just wondering how long. If I start in the morning (say at 8 AM) would I have enough time to get it to the alignment shop by 3 pm, or make sure the wife could pick me up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
installermarc said:
Ok. I noticed a small leak form 2445 yesterday and pinpointed the problem to the rack and pinion. It seems to be leaking a very small amount from the drivers side boot. Since I detailed that area 3 weeks ago, and it only took about 1 oz of fluid to fill up, I know it must be fairly recent.

My question is, is there a seal that I can replace under the boot or do I need to replace the entire rack and pinion? AutoZone want $175 for a new rack, and $25 for new tie rod ends.

The other question would have to be, is this really all that hard to change out? I could take personnal day and use the shop where I have my jack and jack stands and enough tools to make Tim Taylor drool. I am confident I could pull it off, just wondering how long. If I start in the morning (say at 8 AM) would I have enough time to get it to the alignment shop by 3 pm, or make sure the wife could pick me up?
You need a whole rack. If your tie rod ends are cool then dont bother changing them. I have never taking a rack off a sn95 mustang but from looking under mine it defiantly dose not look like a hard job, especially if you have a lift.:smile:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,432 Posts
There is a shop near me that takes off the rack, or drive shaft and rebuilds it while you wait. Takes about four hours. Then reinstalls your rack on your car. Costs less too! Maybe you have one nearby? You might check the yellow pages. Personnally I would not want someone else's rack on my Bullitt. Then again I'm "somewhat" picky about the Bullitt.

It does not look too hard to perform. Then again, you know Murphy. He and I are more than casual aquaintances from many past projects. Be prepared for fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
I have a slight leak as well, but I just refill it as necessary and it functions correctly and without noise, so I don't worry about it.

I have heard that several people on this Site have had success with some kind of stop leak added to the fluid. You might want to do a search for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
There is a shop near me that takes off the rack, or drive shaft and rebuilds it while you wait. Takes about four hours. Then reinstalls your rack on your car. Costs less too! Maybe you have one nearby? You might check the yellow pages. Personnally I would not want someone else's rack on my Bullitt. Then again I'm "somewhat" picky about the Bullitt.

It does not look too hard to perform. Then again, you know Murphy. He and I are more than casual aquaintances from many past projects. Be prepared for fun.
Can you PM me that info? You may have posted it already, but I can't find it. I still need to get mine rebuilt or replaced.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,432 Posts
rangerdoc said:
Can you PM me that info? You may have posted it already, but I can't find it. I still need to get mine rebuilt or replaced.
I think I posted it once, but cannot find the post and the Verizon yellow pages don't list them.

If I am awake enough when I gett off duty tomorrow morning. I will take a detour on my way home and drive by their shop and talk to them face to face for the information. And also to make sure they still operate that way. Then add to this posting or maybe even PM you.

It's been a while. I took my nephew by there a couple years ago when he was in town. And they removed, rebuilt and reinstalled his drive shaft in no time at all. I thought it would take the entire day...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
871 Posts
Installermarc,
The original owner of 4083 had the rack replaced in 2003. The labor was 2.1 hours. If you are anything like me, multiply that by 4, and you'll still be done in a little over 8 hours.:neutral:
Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
+1 on leaving the tie-rod ends alone. Though, if you decide to change them, steer clear of Auto Zone or similair generic brands, at least go for TRW or MOOG (both are around 30-35 bucks each and you can grease them).

I Just did Tie-rod ends, if you mark the threads the old ones were on, your car will be "driveable" even without an alignment. Drove mine a week until I made it to a shop and, though not perfect, was not too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies. Wife was afraid of buying a 6 year old car when we bought it in April. I suggested replacing the rack now, and maybe trading for a 2008.5 in the spring or early summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
Well if your trading it in, then just throw some Lucas stop-leak in there and wait it out.:)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top