Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a Bullitt and an older SN95 Mustang notice that the Bullitt steering is lighter? I get a lot more road feel out of my 95 GT.

Just curious if this is the norm or if it's particular to mine and something I should have the dealer check out. Right now, I figure I'll wait till I have about 1000 miles on it to see if things work into place.

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
I feel my Bullitt's steering efforts are on the light side. I would trade higher parking efforts for less boost while at speed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that sucks. Cause one of the highlights from my 95 was the steering--I always knew what the car was doing. My Bullitt feels slightly detached.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by sensitive? Cause that's how mine feels. Very little effort to turn the wheel, and as a result, less road feel. Also, it feels slightly twitchy at high speed (100+), but i'm thinkin that's partially cause of the Gatorbacks, which i've always hated.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,054 Posts
Gibscreen, you're just going to have to get used to it cause that is the way it is! :smile: I think the Bullitt handles very well on the highway. We have taken it on several road trips now and love how it handles!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TwoWmn, I'm perfectly willing to get used to the way the car feels, but only if that's the way the car should feel. And that's the whole reason I did this post--to find out if this is a problem just with my car, or if it's normal. You say you love the way the car handles, but I don't think that is possible if the car feels twitchy.

It isn't like this is my first mustang. i have my 95 GT, and it felt very stable at speed, so my point is the bullitt doesn't feel as stable.

the exact symptoms usually present themselves at highway speed: a slight tendency to wander, light steering, not a lot of road feel, and the car grabs most every groove on the road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have to agree that the power steering is overassisted.I personally like much less steering assist,my 88 5.0 as much higher effort power steering and I like it that way.But,to be fair,when I dont switch from car to car on a daily basis;once I get used to it,it handles fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The bullitt does not have the "road feel" of the 95 GT. Your description is right and it is , for better or for worse, the way it is.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know there are shorter serpentine belts that bypass the a/c and power steering. maybe you can find a length that will allow you to just bypass the power steering. it's not recommended because you may need a power assisted flip of the wheel for emergencies, and some say that the power steering pump may spray out some fluid. but hey, if you're serious about it, just drain the fluid and take off the damn pump.

like i said though, not recommended at all. i wouldn't do it.

but hey, if you do that, good luck in parking lots.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Unfortunately the power steering is *not* of the variable assist type. The Honda/Rice Burners get that but we don't. Thus it tends to be too much power at road speeds.

I find that the Bullitt is a relatively fast car. But it is not easy to drive it fast. One of these days I am either going to put in a Panhard bar or IRS and see how much of the road speed wander goes away.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Make sure to check your tire pressure and make sure it is at the recommended pressure.

Adding Caster/Camber plates and getting the correct alignment will improve tracking and steering feel.

Eric

·
Registered
302 Posts
hey gibscreen don't they use the powersteering pump for the brkes too. i read on BON some women was ranting about how applying the brake and turning the wheel at the same time caused the brakes to not work or the steering to not work. if you want to increase the road feel at high speeds in crease the size of the powersteering pulley this will decrease it's rpm's and the assist pressure. thus increasing your road feel.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Had the variable assist on my T'bird and loved it! I assume that this is not something that can be easily retrofitted?

If a larger pulley were used on the PS pump, how difficult would it be to figure out which serpentine belt to use? Are they sold in lots of lengths? Could you just figure out the difference in circumference and add that to the stock belt length? Or would the difference be small enough that the tensioner would make up for it?

Joe

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I suppose it all depends on how much bigger a pulley you get. But the tensioner does have quite a bit of play.

Anyone know where to get a bigger power steering pump pulley? and how much bigger should it be?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I guess I'm 180 degrees out from everyone else! I love my Bullitt's steering when I compare it to my '67 GT's steering. I guess with the 390 up front, they overpowered the steering. The '67 over steers and you can't feel a thing. When I park it, I can steer with one finger. The alternative is manual steering which requires at least 4 hands on the wheel to park it with the heavy motor up front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts