Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After i had the steering rack replaced, the tires were also rotated. however in the last few days i noticed that the wheel was vibrating on bumpy roads or whatever. Granted the road is bumpy as all he11, but I am guessing the tires are out of balance?

Jim

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, it is at around 40mph and higher and then as i drive faster it goes away, so it must be the wheel or balancing...I am guessing.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Some tires can also flat spot after sitting for a while. It will vibrate through the steering for a while. If driven more often, you won't notice it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When a tire is out of balance, it normally gets worse as you go faster, but it does sound like an out of balance tire. A radial tire now-a-days won't flat spot from sitting so I wouldn't worry about that. Out of curiosity, was the car re-aligned after the steering rack was replaced?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
#3994 said:
When a tire is out of balance, it normally gets worse as you go faster, but it does sound like an out of balance tire. A radial tire now-a-days won't flat spot from sitting so I wouldn't worry about that. Out of curiosity, was the car re-aligned after the steering rack was replaced?
You are incorrect! My brand new Kumho tires DO flat spot when sitting for a week or longer!

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have the tires balanced after the alignment, so i should have balanced the tires afterwards...getting it done this weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
#3994 said:
You should buy better tires then!!
My Eagle F1's flat spot after a week of sitting also. 3 miles into the trip and all is good. Maybe I need better tires too.

Maybe you slung a weight off.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
something could have been left loose...i highly doubt its a tire vibration if it goes away at higher speeds. whats it like on a smooth road.

and to whoever said new radials don't flat spot...gimme some of that **** ur smokin. any tire will flat spot if sat long enough. new f-150s are horrible about it and it takes nearly 20miles for it to go away

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's still vibrating a little on smooth roads. not sure what it is. will have my mechanic take it out for a ride Saturday and assess the situation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
240_Bullitt said:
something could have been left loose...i highly doubt its a tire vibration if it goes away at higher speeds. whats it like on a smooth road.

and to whoever said new radials don't flat spot...gimme some of that **** ur smokin. any tire will flat spot if sat long enough. new f-150s are horrible about it and it takes nearly 20miles for it to go away
Absolutely, any tire that sits long enough will flat spot, but that is going to take a very long time, we are talking about a car that was into have the rack replaced, that isn't long enough to flat spot the tires. Especially a low profile tire on a mustang. We can't compare a tire on a mustang, to an F150 tire either, they are made differently and are going to have different tendencies while driving. I don't understand why everybody is getting so excited that I said the tires weren't flat spotted? Sensitive subject, huh?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
#3994 said:
Absolutely, any tire that sits long enough will flat spot, but that is going to take a very long time, we are talking about a car that was into have the rack replaced, that isn't long enough to flat spot the tires. Especially a low profile tire on a mustang. We can't compare a tire on a mustang, to an F150 tire either, they are made differently and are going to have different tendencies while driving. I don't understand why everybody is getting so excited that I said the tires weren't flat spotted? Sensitive subject, huh?
not to be an ass but my svtf would flat spot tires in 2 days...both continentals and yokohamas. my eagle f1 gsd3s would on my fox, cars on a dealer lot can do it in 2-3 weeks...and actually a f150 tire and mustang tire arent that much different. low profile has nothing to do with it flat spotting...and a 245/45/17 or even 315/35/17 aren't low profile tires to me

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
#3994 said:
What you said above:"A radial tire now-a-days won't flat spot from sitting so I wouldn't worry about that.":confused:

Not sensitive, just objecting to a bad generalization. And yes my Kumho's flatspot also. Just like the F-150's BFGs'. And my wifes' car tires...:neutral:

Otherwise, no problem. He could have a bad suspension part, driveshaft going out of balance. And yes, they do that, I don't know how. It just is apparently a part of some peoples' lives, not mine. Who knows.

The mechanic thing isn't such a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
had the tires balanced yesterday...it did the trick of eliminatin the SW vibration

1 - 16 of 16 Posts