Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though the Bullitt sounds amazing on its own, I still think I need to upgrade the sound system. I've seen Bob's thread about changing out the head unit; has anyone else changed any of the components out? I've done a few installs myself in the past but how difficult is it on this car? I'm looking to change the speakers (front and back) first and then the head unit later on. I will be keeping it simple, no amps or subs just yet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was thinking of just changing the 5x7 speakers in the trunk and upper doors and putting baffles behind them. They are some kind of cheap Chinese made garbage speakers with paper cones and weak magnets. Not happy with what that systems costs for how it sounds.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
shotdisc98 said:
That's what I was thinking. I'm looking for more depth of sound. Does anyone know if any 8" subwoofer will work in the doors or do they need more power?
The door 8" woofers are special. There are a few that will fit and if I remember right they are 1.6 ohm or something near that and have an enclosure volume of 12 liters. To remove the door woofers you must remove the door panel, remove a bolt that goes into the magnet through the back and remove the eight screws from the front of the speaker. The door subwoofers are fine for the car and I am going to keep mine but use an aftermarket amp (150 watts RMS at 4 ohms) and wire the 2 front subs in series to get about 3 ohms. I am planning to mount 2 amps under the package tray between the rear 5x7 speakers. The other amp will power the trunk mounted shaker 1000 factory sub. Both the amps I install will have remote gain controls mounted somewhere under the dash.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Dave and Julie said:
I was thinking of just changing the 5x7 speakers in the trunk and upper doors and putting baffles behind them. They are some kind of cheap Chinese made garbage speakers with paper cones and weak magnets. Not happy with what that systems costs for how it sounds.
A word of advice. Change the 5x7s and put really high quality 5x7s in the front doors. The rear 5x7s can be of lesser quality as they are for sound fill only. You will hear most of the music from the front doors. I am trying to decide between Boston speakers of Infinity Kappas. Baffles may help, but you are NOT going to get much bass from a 5x7.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
shotdisc98 said:
Even though the Bullitt sounds amazing on its own, I still think I need to upgrade the sound system. I've seen Bob's thread about changing out the head unit; has anyone else changed any of the components out? I've done a few installs myself in the past but how difficult is it on this car? I'm looking to change the speakers (front and back) first and then the head unit later on. I will be keeping it simple, no amps or subs just yet.
Jeff the install for the head unit on this car is very easy once you know how to do it. Please feel free to contact me by e-mail, PM or telephone regarding how to install in the Bullitt. I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
onefastbob said:
Jeff the install for the head unit on this car is very easy once you know how to do it. Please feel free to contact me by e-mail, PM or telephone regarding how to install in the Bullitt. I'll be happy to help.
Thanks Bob! I was also looking at Crutchfield and the Bostons since they fit both in the front and rear. When I installed some Infinitys in the front door of my Ranger they sounded great, but the Polks in the rear sounded just a bit different. I do like Infinitys and they're known for their good highs and mids. I think this time, though, I will try to keep the same speaker in the front and rear.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
shotdisc98 said:
Thanks Bob! I was also looking at Crutchfield and the Bostons since they fit both in the front and rear. When I installed some Infinitys in the front door of my Ranger they sounded great, but the Polks in the rear sounded just a bit different. I do like Infinitys and they're known for their good highs and mids. I think this time, though, I will try to keep the same speaker in the front and rear.
Use Crutchfield and enter your vehicle info and they will tell you what will fit and what won't. Then buy them there or somewhere else. Crutchfield also has great literature with instructions on installation which are very helpful and they have wiring adapters. They may be indeed worth the extra price you sometimes have to pay there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Trust Crutchfield MOST of the time! I found out first hand that their fitment data is around 95%+ accurate. Well let me rephrase that slightly. When they say it fits they mean that its completely plug and play... with no modifications.

The reason I say this is because I had purchased two sets of Infinity Kappa 682.7cf 6x8's for my old 05. The Kappa's fit like a glove in the rear deck but required a slight bit of "gentle persuasion" to fit in the front. Basically all I needed to do was round out a hole on the speaker mounting bracket a tad and find a safe place to mount the external cross-over. These mod's took me 3 - 5 minutes tops to complete. According to Crutchfield, however, these Kappa's would not fit in my car.

One thing I miss about the 05 is the process to replace the rear deck speakers. In the 05 I removed the speaker covers and then used a ratcheting offset screwdriver to remove the mounting screws. In the 08, however, this basically requires a lot more effort.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Martimus said:
Trust Crutchfield MOST of the time! I found out first hand that their fitment data is around 95%+ accurate. Well let me rephrase that slightly. When they say it fits they mean that its completely plug and play... with no modifications.

The reason I say this is because I had purchased two sets of Infinity Kappa 682.7cf 6x8's for my old 05. The Kappa's fit like a glove in the rear deck but required a slight bit of "gentle persuasion" to fit in the front. Basically all I needed to do was round out a hole on the speaker mounting bracket a tad and find a safe place to mount the external cross-over. These mod's took me 3 - 5 minutes tops to complete. According to Crutchfield, however, these Kappa's would not fit in my car.

One thing I miss about the 05 is the process to replace the rear deck speakers. In the 05 I removed the speaker covers and then used a ratcheting offset screwdriver to remove the mounting screws. In the 08, however, this basically requires a lot more effort.
You are correct about Crutchfield. The rear speakers are going to be lots of fun. I will soon find out just how much fun.:lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Martimus said:
...One thing I miss about the 05 is the process to replace the rear deck speakers. In the 05 I removed the speaker covers and then used a ratcheting offset screwdriver to remove the mounting screws. In the 08, however, this basically requires a lot more effort.
How much fun are we looking at here? How many six packs? :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stereo Mods

I got the Boston's from Crutchfield. Doors were easy...rears were much harder...just a tight space to work in.

I also added an Alpine R10 Woofer and a 500 watt Alpine Amp.

I would like to add a Alpine amp to power the 5 X 7's but I was told that would require changing out the head unit or using a pretty expensive adapter.

All in all sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
onefastbob said:
You are correct about Crutchfield. The rear speakers are going to be lots of fun. I will soon find out just how much fun.:lol:
Bob,

I did not realize you were into the Music thing as Deep as You are. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Interesting !!!!!!!!

Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
onefastbob said:
Bob, I know this would be a lot of work, but could you post the install steps and maybe some pics? Good tunes in a great car make a good difference. I want my classic rock to sound as good as the exhaust. I don't want that crappy boom-boom I can hear you a mile away stuff, just nice, quality sound for listening to the tunes.

·
Registered
417 Posts
shotdisc98 said:
How much fun are we looking at here? How many six packs? :wink:
Thanks to Ford's new design for the rear parcel shelf we have to basically dismantle it as opposed to popping off two cheasy little plastic speaker covers.

To me the biggest challenge of the install is simply trying to work on that rear parcel shelf. Between my head and my hands I'm not sure which I whacked more on the rear glass! :rolleyes: :badgrin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Martimus said:
Thanks to Ford's new design for the rear parcel shelf we have to basically dismantle it as opposed to popping off two cheasy little plastic speaker covers.

To me the biggest challenge of the install is simply trying to work on that rear parcel shelf. Between my head and my hands I'm not sure which I whacked more on the rear glass! :rolleyes: :badgrin:

Is this what you did?
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2586959/tm.htm

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
speaker covers on the rear shelf would have been nice.
Another cost cutting effort that most don't notice I guess. They did the same with the Marauder. My Marauder has speaker covers, those built after don't.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Martimus said:
Exactly!

Dayum... I like StangDude81's idea of inverting the plastic retainers!! :cool:
Since I'm not quite sure about tearing apart the back seat, maybe I should go somewhere to get it done or does it look worse than it really is?

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
shotdisc98 said:
Since I'm not quite sure about tearing apart the back seat, maybe I should go somewhere to get it done or does it look worse than it really is?
If you are not quite sure I would bring it by my house and I'll help you (not practical it's 1400 miles). Take it to an install shop and have someone experienced do it if you are uncomfortable with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.