Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a SuperFormance Cobra not too long ago. Since then, my friend's have been buying me every Cobra book they can find (Gee, darn!). Well, in the newest book I got I was amazed to see a picture of Steve McQueen and Carroll Shelby standing next to a 289 Cobra! Turns out, Steve visited Shelby American in June of '63, and a few days later picked up HIS 289 Cobra... from Carroll!

Here is the pic...

The book is COBRA, The Shelby Amarican Original Archives. Great info if ya like Cobras!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
White walls on a Cobra?

What were they thinking?

·
Registered
370 Posts
1963.......not much choice.Bias ply white walls or black. that was a street version so it got the upgrade to whitewalls.. Vette's even had whitewalls..

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Vette's had whitewall option left over from the sissy 6 cyl days when many of the buyers were female.

There was no excuse for the Cobra except they ran out of the tires they wanted.

I toured the Shelby factory in 1964 and don't remember seeing a whitewall anywhere.

I'll bet Steve had them off that car by sunset.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I doubt he cared abot the side wall stripe OR the unneccessary luggage rack on the trunk.
He likely just wanted to thrash that car all day.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish 'ol Steve was still alive. How cool would it be to have HIS signature on my glovebox! Screw getting Carrol's.. he wants $300 to sign it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts