Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a product that parking stickers can be placed on, other types of stickers apply, and then place this on the windshield. It has to look good, else I get another frigggggggin ticket, see below.

EXAMPLE:

I have 4 different stickers that MUST be placed below the tint in the center of the windshield. I don't want to have these 4 ugly stickers on my car showing all the time. Just when they are needed. I've tried using a piece of plexi-glass with a ring cut in it for each sticker and placing this over the rear view mirror. For some reason the gestapo as SWT University keeps giving me a ticket for the
"Improper Display of a Sticker". It must be on the windshield.

The other "authorities" have waived the requirement and state that as long as the sticker is visible and for my car then no prob. Not the control freaks here at SWT.

Any ideas.....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good idea, but I tried that, this is how I got my second ticket. "Must be attached to the windshield".

Bullitt #2276
No Mods...Yet..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: donwil on 2001-10-31 09:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
309 Posts
You could always buy a spare windsheild and just swap it out as necessary :grin: :grin: :grin:

j/k.

Sounds to me like they aren't going to let you get away with not having them directly on the glass. :sad:

DHG #4851

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retromuscle on 2001-10-31 09:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
retromuscle,

Unless someone has a better idea, I guess I will have to get that second windshield. NOT...

Thanks for the humor, as I was EXTREMELY PI$$ED when I go that second ticket. Your comment put a smile on my face...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I don't have a solution... but maybe a rant about the lot Nazis.

During most of the year, I had been driving my MGB with the top down. I had registered my Audi as the car I'd have on campus.

They gave everyone the static cling decals. Transferring from car to car wasn't a problem. The decal went on the rear glass.

The MGB usually had the top down. I taped the decal on my rear view mirror. I got a ticket for improper display.

I contested the ticket--

them: Why wasn't this on your car's back window?

me: I have a convertable. No glass.

them: You need a bumper decal.

me: no- I have 2 cars and need to transfer the decal.

them: Then you need a temp tag when you drive the convertable.

me: where do I put it?

them: the rear view mirror.

me: That's where I had my decal in the first place!!

I ended up paying $5.

Nazis.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thank you, Thank you. I'm here every night, but there's a 2 drink minimum on Mondays. :grin:

Glad I could make you laugh. I've had my share of run ins with University parking police, so I feel your pain... We used to have to put our sticker in the lower left-hand corner of the back window or the center of the rear bumper. I always hated having that stupid sticker there, so I used to break their stones by parking against the ivy covered fence in the back of the lot, backed into the space all the way to the fence. :grin:

I have respect for cops, don't get me wrong, but some of these "lot-nazis" on campuses have got to go. :smile:

Edit: "lot-nazis", I like that :grin:

DHG #4851

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retromuscle on 2001-10-31 10:01 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
If you have a Best Buy store near you, go to their Ink Jet paper section, and take a look at a product called "Clear Decals" from "Invent It" (they make a bunch of inkjet stuff).

These are static cling window stickers media (designed for printing your own window designs), but they should work fine. Put your parking stickers on it, then cut and place this stuff onthe inside of the window. Make sure you get the sides right.

I assume that your parking stickers are reverse print, so they can be on the inside of the window, right? Just stick your parking sticker on the non-sticker side of the Clear Decals, and the peel off the decal, and apply to the inside of your window. The static works pretty well, so you can remove and reapply as needed. The media is clear, and they shouldn't be able to tell that the sticker isn't on the glass, and technically you could say that it is anyway.

If they have those stickers that go on the OUTSIDE, then place the sticker on the static side, and cut a wide enough border around it so it will adhere.

If you can't find that specific brand, other types of ink jet static cling media should work.

If that doesn't make sense, or I missed something, yell. this would be easier if I could show you in person. :smile:

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
The Best Buy site shows 3 stores in Austin, hopefully the South Austin store is close enough to your location for a quick jaunt. :smile:

South Town Square 4970 Us Hwy. 290

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Will give the IJ material a try.

Probably get a ticket for not adhering DIRECTLY to the glass.

We'll see....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wrap mine in Saran wrap & tape it to the window with a couple of pieces of scotch tape, not too hard to move from vehicle to vehicle. Where my wife works, you have to have a sticker displayed to get in the gate, with 4 daily drivers and only one sticker, we have done some sticker swapping.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The moral of the story...our system is set up to screw you. I have parking tickets all the time. For me..my last one..for $10 if I wanted to contest it..I had to go to court and then pay a $50 court fee whether I won or not. Gee..let me think..yup sounds like a good reaming from behind whether I like it or not. So..my payback is that I beat up on the parking nazi's in the gym when they are not on duty. So..I get mine payback in blood...maybe not the most civilized way..but I feel better :smile:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The best thing that i can think of is contact paper(the clear kind, stick the decals toit and trim the edges so that they are flucs then by using scotch tap atact the contak paper to the winshield, its what i did

·
Registered
835 Posts
You ought to try the EZ Tag for the Harris County Toll Road Authorrity. Big ugly off-white plastic sucker. Has to go on the winshield behind the mirror. that way it shows up in the photos if the reader screws up and takes your photo for fining purposes. At least if they can see it in the winndow in the photo they don't send you a ticket. The fines are a lot higher than the tolls.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey TXBullitt, in Houston you can get a toll tag that mounts to your front license plate. My grandfather-in-law got one when the windshield transponder wouldn't work in his Chevy Caprice (big curved windshield). It screws on using the top license plate screws and doesn't look too bad... if you're using a front plate anyway.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Actually, the reason that tag wouldn't work in the Caprice is b/c it has a "Sungate" windshield. Has this special coating or filler to block out UV, but it has a side effect of rendering transponders and radar detectors 100% useless. Had the same problem with my Impala SS.

Speaking of Impala SS's, Webmaster, did you used to post to the NAISSO mailing list?

DHG #4851

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retromuscle on 2001-11-02 07:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
444 Posts
At my school they tried giving me tickets for the same reason. I ended up getting a thin piece of plexiglass and putting the sticker on. I thne cut it to shape and wedged it between the glass and dash. it always stayed upright and the one time that they argued I simply told them that the sticker was attached to the vehicle and was clearly visible. I told them that if they want it on the glass then I wnat it in writing that when the sticker is removed (by them) that there be no damage to the vehicle otherwise they will be liable.

After that I never heard a word from them again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts