Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in for a quick service (oil change) and saw the air filter was quite dirty. The dealer said they would have to order a new one, but I am leaving early in the morning for a road trip, and called around -- I didn't find one. I checked with GAS (Galpin Auto Sports, as in "Pimp My Ride"), and they didn't have one in stock either, but the guy told me the air filter can be washed.

Has anyone washed their stock air filter?

The guy I spoke with at GAS advised:

Wash in warm soapy water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes;
Rinse in warm water; and
Let it dry (it takes about 45 minutes, he said).

I wouldn't know one way or another, but I'm not trying it tonight if it might turn out to be a mess of paper mache!

·
Registered
969 Posts
blow hard

david,

i have serviced my filter once at about 5,000 miles. i took off the stock filter and placed the nozzle of my air hose inside the filter and let the air do its job. piece of cake, and it came really clean. i'll be doing this again and again. when she shows signs of wearing out, in goes a k & n (that ought to provoke a few responses:bigguns:).

if you don't mind, and even if you do, let us know how the soap and water technique turns out. thanks, brother.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I spoke with a FRPP Rep back in May about servicing the OEM filter. Sounds like dhartson has the right approach, but be very careful. The FRPP Rep told me you could "Oil" the filter like a Green Filter or K&N....but I did not go that route. I just posted this response to another member as follows:

Don't even worry about finding or getting an OEM type filter. Install a Green Filter (Part No. 7051). Fits perfect. Has the end index tab. Many of us here have installed them with great results. Keep the old one for when you sell it 25 years from now so that you have the OEM part....lol

The Green Filter is like the K&N (Better?) and can be cleaned and re-oiled many times. I do mine (Green & K&N's) every 10,000 miles, if it really looks dirty or once a year. They have recharge kits (cleaner & oil) in the Std Green color or if you want to change the color...red, blue, orange, and a few other colors + green. Check it out. It will not void your Factory Warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts