Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Bullitt with a stinger cat back exhaust and I'm contemplating putting the stock cat-back back on and replacing the mid pipe instead. Removing two cats will pickup more power than a cat back will I think.
Anybody have soundvideos of stock cat back with aftermarket mid pipe?
Specifically looking at the BBK Catted mid pipe. Thanks

(Pic of a BBK mid pipe, not my car)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Removing the cats, IMHO, makes the car unnecessarily loud and will cause massive drone inside the cabin. Way back when I had my '02 GT, the prior owner had set up the system that way and it was unbearable- couldn't hear yourself think. Had the cats reinstalled to make the car bearable. Certainly wasn't my cup of tea. And dropping the cats may only yield 5-10 hp max too. Not worth it to me- YMMV.
Lee

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removing the cats, IMHO, makes the car unnecessarily loud and will cause massive drone inside the cabin. Way back when I had my '02 GT, the prior owner had set up the system that way and it was unbearable- couldn't hear yourself think. Had the cats reinstalled to make the car bearable. Certainly wasn't my cup of tea. And dropping the cats may only yield 5-10 hp max too. Not worth it to me- YMMV.
Lee
If Im not mistaken the 2001 Bullitt has 4 cats....Im only looking to delete the front two. I agree with you that both long tube headers and o/r (hatless) mid-pipe is obnoxious and not the way to go.
In addition the Stock cat-back is more mellow than the Stinger that I currently have on so I figured the change would not yield too much sound differece.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually just did this on my car. Put a Pypes catted h-pipe on mine and left the stock catback on. I think it sounds great, no noticeable drone inside the cabin at any speed. Here’s the YouTube video I uploaded after install:
Any check engine lights? Did you have to use MIL eliminators? Or turn the cats off with a tune?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope, didn’t have anything come up on the dash. Didn’t use eliminators or need to tune. The Pypes version still retains all 4 of the O2 sensors and hasn’t caused any issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts