Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is blown and still has the stock clutch? I have had my vortech on my car with 8.5PSI for about a month now. I noticed after a while that The clutch is starting to feel different. It is hard to describe but its just different. I dont really know what a bad clutch feels like so... Do you guys have any suggestions? I will and never have put slicks on. I may one day slap on some DR's but that's it. Clutch suggestions? Should the stoker hold up? The car has 20k on it.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I do. I've had the blower on the car for around 40,000 miles on the stock clutch. Of course I'm not hard on the car either.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you are going to get a high performance clutch, go with the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.

Smooth, light, feels stock.

I had one and loved it. The guy who stole my fried it so I needed to replace it. I went with the Spec Stage 2 and don't like it nearly as much. Hard clutch pedal and a lot more chatter than I had before.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
chris1984 said:
Who here is blown and still has the stock clutch? I have had my vortech on my car with 8.5PSI for about a month now. I noticed after a while that The clutch is starting to feel different. It is hard to describe but its just different. I dont really know what a bad clutch feels like so... Do you guys have any suggestions? I will and never have put slicks on. I may one day slap on some DR's but that's it. Clutch suggestions? Should the stoker hold up? The car has 20k on it.
My car has the stock clutch at 29,000 miles and has been Vorteched since about 5000ish miles. The clutch feels fine to me, I have had to do the "pull up on the pedal" adjustment once. I, like you do not run slicks, just 295/35ZR18 Firestones so the tires spin long before the clutch would have an issue....John R :cool:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
42000 on my stock clutch, launching on slicks and 12lbs of boost. I switched over to a Spec 2+ with my new Motor. The stock clutch still looked good when I removed it.
-Wes

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys this is very helpfull. keep it coming.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
twin051302 said:
42000 on my stock clutch, launching on slicks and 12lbs of boost. I switched over to a Spec 2+ with my new Motor. The stock clutch still looked good when I removed it.
-Wes
So tell me twin051302.....how do YOU like the Spec Stage 2?

Do you experience the clutch chatter that I mentioned?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
i'm still running the stocker 26,000mi, 10-12 lbs with slicks, no problems here

·
Registered
591 Posts
I replaced my stock clutch after about 2,500 miles with the vortec. No problems and it looked good. No track passes on it, but some hard street driving. I replaced it with a SPEC stage 2.

The SPEC stage 2 is great, no chatter, stock feel on the pedal. The only difference is that it is a bit more grabby. So when you are trying to do a smooth regular start, it takes some getting used to. After a couple of days of daily driver use, you'll have it down and wont think twice about it. I had about 25,000 miles on the SPEC clutch last time I checked and no problems.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Bullitt_5135 said:
If you are going to get a high performance clutch, go with the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.

Smooth, light, feels stock.

I had one and loved it. The guy who stole my fried it so I needed to replace it. I went with the Spec Stage 2 and don't like it nearly as much. Hard clutch pedal and a lot more chatter than I had before.
+1 on both counts. I had a Spec Stage I and it chattered quite a bit until I got about 2000 miles on it. Very stiff as well. I now have the Centerforce DF and very happy.

I recommend the quadrant and adjuster regardless of the clutch manufacturer (even stock).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Im very happy with the Spec 2+, very light pedal effort and no chatter. I have driven quite a few spec 3's with the aluminum flywheel and damn, talk about chatter. This is why I went with the 2+ and a new steel flywheel, very glad I did.
-Wes

·
Registered
937 Posts
Another vote for Centerforce DF. No need to look any futher. If I had to do it again ... I'd get the Centerforce DFX kit ... Plenty of good clutches out there but I've been using CFDF since 1989...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
twin051302 said:
Im very happy with the Spec 2+, very light pedal effort and no chatter. I have driven quite a few spec 3's with the aluminum flywheel and damn, talk about chatter. This is why I went with the 2+ and a new steel flywheel, very glad I did.
-Wes
So does the aluminum flywheel contribute to clutch chatter?

I have an aluminum flywheel too (but did with my Centerforce clutch but didn't have any issues then).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a dual friction from Centerforce for my 90 5liter and I liked it. It did not feel much different from the stock one. would it be a similar clutch? would it feel about the same as in my 5.0?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Bullitt_5135 said:
So does the aluminum flywheel contribute to clutch chatter?

I have an aluminum flywheel too (but did with my Centerforce clutch but didn't have any issues then).
Alluminum Flywheel and Spec = Chatter.
-Wes

·
Registered
28 Posts
We put our 700200 steel flywheel with the Dual Friction DF800075 in Justin’s car (FORTE2). The clutch is very smooth with good control and the car put down 375hp to the wheels. Regardless of which clutch you go with I Strongly suggest that you replace the factory flywheel (Steel or Aluminum) when you change your clutch, the factory flywheel is Gray Iron.

Have a good weekend,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches

·
Registered
57 Posts
Will Baty said:
We put our 700200 steel flywheel with the Dual Friction DF800075 in Justin’s car (FORTE2). The clutch is very smooth with good control and the car put down 375hp to the wheels. Regardless of which clutch you go with I Strongly suggest that you replace the factory flywheel (Steel or Aluminum) when you change your clutch, the factory flywheel is Gray Iron.

Have a good weekend,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches

Yep, very smooth. I've got more clients (responsible ones) that have run 9's with the plain DF clutch assembly, and with the same or near pedal pressure as stock. Beware cheap clutch quadrants, they can make a good clutch set feel like crap.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Still have the stock clutch with 10psi no problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts