Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter upgrades for the Bullitt are on the cards. the car now has a nice garage to live in.

I want to get some regular Bullitt headlights of the best quality, ie ones that don't fill with condensation or go cloudy after a year. Ideally not too expensive as I have to pay for shipping to the UK as well. Also I want to get a car bra to stop those annoying stone chips.

Ideas anyone?:idea:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Good luck. My car sits in the garage most of the time, has only 13,000 (all dry) miles, and I have already replaced the headlights four times since I bought the car new. The Ford units will eventually cloud up, as the glue used reacts and causes the clouding inside the lense. The Ford units run about $250 (U.S.) a pair.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a ford front end mask, it fits very well. The inside is nice and soft so it dont hurt the paint. I had a la bra for my 88 mustang and that scratched the hell out of the front. I also need headlights mine are cloudy and have rock chips. I was thinking of getting the ford ones, I was told they are 115 each. We will see what the others say. I do have aftermarket ones for my 87 GT and the fit was terrible, so thats why I'm thinking ford for these.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so there is a major problem with these Ford units, they start to cloud up in around 2 years? Are there any aftermarket light covers that could hide that problem a bit, maybe be a better way to spend my money.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi lozbullitt, I have seen articles on other sites where guys have managed to split the lights housings to clean inside by baking them at a low temp in the oven to soften the glue. try a search on stangnet. I know English Bob has just bought a set of new front lights so might be worth giving him a shout to find out where he got them from. He did a post on here not so long ago. Good Luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Oz

That sounds good, Bob is lying low can't seem to get hold of him. I am looking at aftermarket ones from Latemodel Restoration Supply, Inc, around 200 dollars. I may just get those.

Laurence

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Bullitt4204 said:
Good luck. My car sits in the garage most of the time, has only 13,000 (all dry) miles, and I have already replaced the headlights four times since I bought the car new. The Ford units will eventually cloud up, as the glue used reacts and causes the clouding inside the lense. The Ford units run about $250 (U.S.) a pair.
^^Same here. The dealer replaced the first ones and I've replaced those. After about a year they fog up again on the inside from the chemical out gassing. Wish there was a good way to disassemble them and clean them as I still have the second set thinking someday I'd experiment on them. Guess I'm not that bored yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Henry, if I am going to spend some hard cash on new headlights, is there any particular new brand in the US that does not have this chemical outgas problem? if so who sells them?

I would really not want to keep buying new ones every year. We aslo have to put sidelights in them for EU compliance as well, so its a real pain.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
lozbullitt said:
So Henry, if I am going to spend some hard cash on new headlights, is there any particular new brand in the US that does not have this chemical outgas problem? if so who sells them?
I wish I knew the answer to your question. I don't have any experience with after market headlights for this generation mustang but I can say that some after market units for the 87-93 Fox mustangs are not that great. They look good but the fit and alignment was not up to the same as the factory units. Because of this I haven't seriously considered aftermarket units for the 99-04 cars. Maybe some of the other members can give us their experiences with after market units for our cars.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
P-51 Bullitt just did some aftermarket units. HID? Not what I would do, but he did do a complete thread on the trials and tribulations.:frown: :shock: :cry: :redface: :smile: The results and recommmendations of the purchases he made.:neutral: I wasn't too interested in changing out my headlights to be like his, so I fail to remember what he resolved/recommended.:confused: It is worth looking up the thread if your thinking of changing over to HID.:wink:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
OK, here's the short story........
I first bought some actual HID's (system) for around 250.00 and since my original housings were a bit scuffed up from 3 years on the car, I decided to buy some aftermarket housings to put the new HID system into.

I bought some replacement housings from blueovalindustries for around 100.00. They arrived and looked really good. All of these aftermarket housings are made in China, so it makes really no difference where you buy them or how much you pay as they are all the same. How long they will last I do not know yet because of the continuing story........

I hooked up my new HID system and installed the new housings and put the HID bulbs in them. I could not get the HID's to focus in these blueoval housings. I mean it was REALLY bad and light was going everywhere! I thought it was a fault of the HID system design and went round and round with the supplier. Then I thought.....maybe it's the housings.....? So, I took out the new aftermarket housings and installed my original Ford housings with the HID kit. Well,.....the initial focus was MUCH better, but still not right. I spent about 2 Months screwing around trying to get the HID lights to focus correctly (especially the High Beams) and never got it right. This includes leaving my hood unlatched and taking off causing the hood to fly up and break, also break out the windshield!!!!!

So, after that, I ripped (literately) out the HID system and threw it in the trash. I then installed Silverstar bulbs in the blueoval housings and put them back in. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they focused correctly and worked very well with regular Halogen bulbs!

Then after about a week with this setup, I began to miss the brightness that the old HID system provided (especially with the Low beams) and started looking around for something else. I settled on a set of aftermarket Projection housings (without the "halo" rings) and I put 6000K Halogen bulbs in them. THose are on the car now and although they look pretty good in the daytime and work pretty well at night, the cut off for the Projectors direct the light more forward than side to side as stock housings do and this means less light on the sides. This is not very good for people like me that drive on single or two lane roads and turn onto the same type of roads. Hard to see the shoulder during the turn.......

So, I am considering going back to the Blueovalindustries housings and silverstar bulbs! The light actually seemed brighter and more usable than the Projectors and they were focused correctly with the Halogens. How long they will last? I don't know and don't really care at 100.00 for the set! I could replace them yearly if necessary (which I doubt) and still have good looking (stock look) housings and good visibility.

Here is the original thread started by English Bob concerning Projector Housings.
http://imboc.com/forums/showthread.p...ight=Projector

So, bottom line for your application, I suggest that you go with the blueovalindustries "Stock type" aftermarket housings and use silverstar bulbs in them. Or anyone that carries them at different prices (as I said they are all the same and made in Taiwan (China)....) You will be happy for the money.

BTW, anyone in the DFW area that wants to try the Projector housings, come to the Meet on the 17th and I will give you my set with expensive 7000K bulbs in them (and the original bulbs that came with them) for a fifty dollar bill! For that price you can try them and not be out any big money......... 1st one to PM me that they want them, gets them!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
David

I get the idea, buy the blueovalindustries "Stock type" aftermarket housings and use silverstar bulbs.

Thanks guys - problem contained

Loz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts