Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the stock rear gear ratio for a 01 Bullitt?

·
Registered
553 Posts
JediBullitt,
what rpms do you turn at 70 and 75?
I really want 4.10s, I know alot of people say go for it but there are the odd few that think im crazy.
I have to make a 1000 mile trip to and from school twice a year and then to any Nats that I can attend in the future.
Will 4.10s decrease the life of my engine??
Whats better, FFRP or Motive gears?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You might consider 3.73's, much better compromise for the highway. I've not heard complaints with the FRPP'S either.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
3.73 vs 4.10 - FRPP vs Motive

Although I haven't installed mine yet, I bought FRPP 3.73 gears that have been cut with the "face hob" process ... (???) which I understand is supposed to produce a finer cut. I chose the 3.73 over the 4.10 due to what I have read over and over on here about the gas mileage on the highway. I felt it was the best compromise when buying FRPP gears.

Motive as I understand offers a 3.90 ratio as well if you want to compromise further. I have however heard that some Motive gears are a little noisier. I've never ridden in a Mustang with Motive gears so I don't consider myself knowing for sure. FRPP does not offer a 3.90 gear ratio set for the 8.8" rear end that I know of.

As always, it depends on how well you dial the gear set up and fine tune the adjustments. The better you set it up and find the right setting for the particular gear set (ring and pinion matched) you're installing the less noise, vibrations, etc. you'll encounter. Personally, the few times I've done a 9" FORD (long, long ago) I was always using a torque wrench and shooting for the specs in a factory Ford manual.

Good luck ... I hope this helps. :smile:

·
Registered
879 Posts
PETE_FISH said:
JediBullitt,
what rpms do you turn at 70 and 75?
I really want 4.10s, I know alot of people say go for it but there are the odd few that think im crazy.
I have to make a 1000 mile trip to and from school twice a year and then to any Nats that I can attend in the future.
Will 4.10s decrease the life of my engine??
Whats better, FFRP or Motive gears?

i actually only have 3:73's. I just wish at times i wish i had gotten 4:10's. I believe at 70mph 410's are around 2500k rpm could be wrong but if you go to the bullitt achive it has all the mph and rpms for each gear ratio. I say 4:10s bc in my opinion 373's wasnt the biggest jump in acceleration i had hoped for. Its faster for sure, but it leaves enough room for me to always wonder what if i had gotten 4:10s. But on the other side i would be shooting myself if i had gotten them when on the free way and a daily driver. 3"73s can be a pain driving around and i can only imagine 4:10s. But on the flip side just drive slower on the free way and your fine, in town should manageable just ALOTA shifting

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the search but didn't really see a definate answer. So 3.27's them? As for steeper gears, I had an 88 GT with 3.73's and really liked them around town, on the highway, not so much. Does the rear have posi? (I know search...)

·
Registered
580 Posts
3.27 come with the car.. I highly recommend a 3.73 to wake her up.. I did and haven't regreted it !!! I would of gone 4.10, but you would need a 6 speed unless you never drove on the highway..lol..

·
Registered
580 Posts
With the 3.73 driving 140 kmph in 5th i'm reving 3 grand on the nose.. Not sure what that works out into mph ( canadian eh ).... great gear and mine is a percission gear.
4.10 will rev too high and you'll lose top end speed.. All depends on what turns you on!!! Hope that helps ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
3.73 is a great all-around gear period. I have it in mine and have NO complaints. It made it quicker and i did not sacrifice that much MPG. I highly recommend them. If you are doing 1000 mile trips on the highway......3.73 def. 4.10s are also good, but with that kind of highway mileage......I wouldnt personally. Just my 2 cents. :) or 2 canadian cents (showing respect to BaddBullitt) ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
wait....2 canadian cents.......crap now thats only like 1.34 cents....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts