Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I met TrueBlueBullitt today and got a few shots of his ride with the StonGard installed. Since this is my first post, let me introduce myself. My name is David and I am a distributor for StonGard here in the southeast. I will try and post a picture but because I'm new on the forum, I may not be able to get this to work so I will include a link to my photopoint album,

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=210242&a=13604726

If anyone has any questions they would like answered about the product, John said he has gotten several emails, you can contact me direct at [email protected] or post them here. Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Cool, thanks for posting! I've been looking into this, but just can't swing it, and probably won't be able to for some time. (At least a year.)

At least now I can see that you really can't see it! :smile:

How's it look face to face? I wonder how bad it would be to do it to a car that gets some mileage first...

Joe

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can someone help explain to me what I am suppose to be seeing here!! I cant figure it out. Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Where can I get this? I've heard of it. One of my co-workers mentioned stone guard and some other brand made by 3M I think. He tod me one of them was prone to yellowing over time. Is that true? Any info would be great. I need something like this with all the driving I do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you are looking at is an energy absorbing thermoplastic urethane film designed by 3M engineers and StonGard almost a decade ago. The transparent material will not crack, peel, fade, yellow or shrink over time. The kits are computer cut to perfectly match the vehicle and are installed similar to the way window tint is applied, and can be removed without hurting properly cured paint.

More pictures of the install can be seen at
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=210242&a=11074281

The material is tough, but its not going to stop a brick or a "bullit", but it will save your paint from normal damage that occurs on the leading edges of a vehicle. This car hit a deer, and you can see where the StonGard ends and the damage begins. The paint was protected even where the bumper was bent.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=210242&a=13506956&p=52390601&Sequence=0&res=high

Sorry to take up so much space. Thanks for the interest. If you need the location of an installer near you, email me and I'll try to find one. Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Speed 2000 on 2001-08-08 15:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
543 Posts
Joe, don't wait a year if you can manage the money end. The point is to do it before your bumper, hood and mud flaps get any stone chips. My car stayed in the garage until I got Stongard installed. My last Stang was dark green and showed every single stone chip because the primer was a light color underneath. I vowed that would never happen to my Bullitt. Now I have no fear of getting on the Interstate with Stongard applied. I am now thinking about getting my headlights done now that Ford has finally replaced the spotted lens with a clear one.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob,
The headlight covers and go on dry. They are easy to install yourself and have been tested to 160 mph. This is a Ferarri Cup racer, and the whole team uses them religiously. When first applied, you may notice some adhesive marks that will bake away.

Its a challenge marketing a product that your not supposed to notice, but you've probably seen(?)us before...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=210242&a=13263028&p=50337137&Sequence=0&res=high

As far as cost, install prices will vary with location since costs of living are always a consideration. Just be glad you folks don't have Porsche Boxters, they are the most difficult installs and may cost three times as much as what the cost is on the Bullitt. I know of a few sleepless nights when one of those was on the schedule.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Speed 2000 on 2001-08-08 17:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Bob, as far as headlights go, there are several products. I have no stake in any of them so I'll be honest.

I tried 3M on my Audi and GTI. Its pretty thick, can take abuse. The bad: since its so thick, it cracked the plastic lenses of the A4 with the heat build up. The GTI were glass and had no cracks. Will the Bullitt's lights do the same? Dunno. Bad #2: If not installed properly or installed on dirty headlights, the adhesive will come loose on the edges and gather moisture and dirt. Eventually, the moisture will cloud the adhesive.

Xpel is the other product. Its thinner and seems to hold up as well as 3M. Used it on my Subaru to same the big fog lights. They didn't come loose or cloud (but I only had the car 6 months).

On any headlight savers, the lights should be clean, and without many chips before install.

But I wouldn't bother with headlight yet since we're all getting new ones when the unclouded batch gets shipped.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,047 Posts
You can get blackened headlight covers from Ford, ya know too. A friend of mine has the blackened covers for his 96 that hook on over the clear ones that came stock with his car. He likes the looks of the 2001 lenses and the protection they give to his original ones.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for the tip on getting it done soon TBB, but without going too much into my personal situation, last year was financially devastating for me, and the Bullitt purchase itself was premature by at least 6 mos vs when I should really have been considering comitting to a new car payment. However, we all know that in 6 mos there would have been no Bullitts, and barring unforseens I will keep this car forever. I will get it done eventually, and while I reconginze the importance of factory paint, I'll have the front retouched before I do it if that is necessary at the time.

:smile:

Joe

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have had the headlight covers on since I got #66. They are supposed to be able to take a pellet rifle shot and have no lense damage. You can't tell it's there. I have the entire front end material to install still, just haven't had the time. I'll post pics too, when it's on.

Brian

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did not see the Bullitt as a StonGard supported car.

Which kit should I purchase?

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
If you go to the photopoint album for the blue Bullitt and get the larger image you can see the product as it looks just a bit duller than the rest of teh hood. But IMO it still looks better than a bra and there won't be any worrys about a bra rubbing the paint or mildewing because it didn't dry properly.
I'm interested in this as well for my Bullitt. I live in Chicago Heights, IL. So if you could point me to a local dealer/installer I'd appreciate it greatly!
Thanx!

Blakwing
[email protected]

·
Registered
396 Posts
Any installers in East Central Florida or a supplier that has the pre cut for my BULLITT that I can install myself???
Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a self-install of this or a similar product?

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i don't feel confident trying to do a self install!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mustang99, your'e right. This is something you don't want to try yourself at home unless you are a professional. It took the installer who did my car 3 hours and he has over 50 cars of experience. I like to do things myself but this is one job I wouldn't attempt myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great stuff Speed 2000....anyone near Kansas City that can install Stonguard? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts