Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 01 and it needs tires. It currently has 305/35/18 rear and 245/40/18 front. My car guru (ASE with 40 yrs exp. Trust no one else with my cars) says the front ones are 2 narrow with the rim being 8” wide and says to replace even though in great condition. The 10” wide rim on back holds a 305 well but a 315 would be better. We get A LOT of rain here. I mean A LOT and the roads suck so I’m concerned about traction. The 02 Gt(RIP 12/09/21) had the same rim ironically (with it being smaller of course) and ran 315/35 in back and (shoot I’m forgetting fronts already😞!) from LMR and they handled the rain fine. Problem is. Can’t afford them at this stage and am lost as to what to go with. Need asap so long wait time won’t work to order something on line anyway.
Bullitt is also a cruiser vs silver GT(car guru is rebuilding for himself so that’s how we refer to them) was a custom built powerhouse so totally different needs. Still want a tire that holds the road especially through the curves and channels water good but quieter so I can hear my tunes. Drive strictly for pleasure not commute. Suggestions?? Budget is $1000 max

·
Registered
4 Posts
You won't get much more tire on the fronts. Probably squeeze 255's on the front, but really you ought to put 9" rims on the front. The car will handle much better with a square setup, but if it's purely about looks, then shouldn't matter. But with that staggered a set, you'll increase the front push in hard cornering by a fair bit. Which you can always counteract with a larger rear bar or a good mechanical rear diff.

But you'll be squeezing the **** out of 315's on a 10" wheel. You really need 10.5", but even that'll squeeze a 315. 11-12" wheel is what you really need to get the full width of that size tire. But again, if handling isn't as much of a concern you can squeeze. Your tire guy's gonna hate you tho. Not to mention tire companies seem to be making all their sizes wider than they really are. Probably find a new set of 295s/305's are wider than the current ones.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt
3 Posts
You won't get much more tire on the fronts. Probably squeeze 255's on the front, but really you ought to put 9" rims on the front. The car will handle much better with a square setup, but if it's purely about looks, then shouldn't matter. But with that staggered a set, you'll increase the front push in hard cornering by a fair bit. Which you can always counteract with a larger rear bar or a good mechanical rear diff.

But you'll be squeezing the **** out of 315's on a 10" wheel. You really need 10.5", but even that'll squeeze a 315. 11-12" wheel is what you really need to get the full width of that size tire. But again, if handling isn't as much of a concern you can squeeze. Your tire guy's gonna hate you tho. Not to mention tire companies seem to be making all their sizes wider than they really are. Probably find a new set of 295s/305's are wider than the current ones.
My head is spinning with all the talk of sizes, etc. I have a totally stock 2001 Bullitt with the original Gaterback Goodyears (2nd set). Last set has been on for over 10 yrs and getting close to needing replacement if not just for being od and cracked. When I bought the Gaterbacks years back the Goodyear Dealer said they are no longer available. I asked him to do a search and he found a few laying around warehouses throughout the US. He eventuallly found the 4 Gaterbacks. Any chance some tire co. is reproducing them? Just had to ask. So, what is the best replacement tire for a stock 2001 Bullitt? I live in a wet area also so I need a tire that looks good and handles well in all conditions. Not too pricey. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh god, don’t try to find an old set of Gatorbacks. Who knows what production year they stopped producing them, but they’ll be hard as a rock even if you found an unmounted set, they’ll be garbage. They were garbage tires back then.

There’s so many good tires these days, and tire tech has advanced exponentially in the last 10 years. Just look on tire rack, find a set you think looks cool, and make sure it’s a name brand. Even the 200 treadwear tires these days work perfectly fine in rain. If you’re driving in snow, getanother set of wheels with some Blizzaks.

245/45/17 were stock, but you can squeeze 255/40/17’s on too, which have some fun tires.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt
3 Posts
245/45/17 were stock, but you can squeeze 255/40/17’s on too, which have some fun tires.
Oh god, don’t try to find an old set of Gatorbacks. Who knows what production year they stopped producing them, but they’ll be hard as a rock even if you found an unmounted set, they’ll be garbage. They were garbage tires back then.

There’s so many good tires these days, and tire tech has advanced exponentially in the last 10 years. Just look on tire rack, find a set you think looks cool, and make sure it’s a name brand. Even the 200 treadwear tires these days work perfectly fine in rain. If you’re driving in snow, getanother set of wheels with some Blizzaks.

Luke: Thanks for advice. --Hookmonster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts