Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a trip to the San Fran last night for sh*ts and giggles. It was a typical night in the city and the fog had rolled in so there was a ligth moisture on the car and ground. I'm crusing/flying down 19th avenue on my way to the Golden Gate bridge and I line up next to a white 5 series BMW being driven by a guy in his early 20's. I could tell by the way he was eyeing me that he wanted a go at the Bullitt. The light turned green and I obliged. As usual I was driving with the trac control off. I tried getting onto it fairly easy but broke the back end loose all the way through first gear. Shifting to second the back end breaks free again I kept in it but couldn't get it to hook so I had to feather the gas to get traction. Third gear comes back end breaks, feather the throttle, get traction, say goodbye! I don't know what model 5 series it was because the guy had removed all of the stickers, but he kept pretty close until I got traction then it was all over with. The spirit of Steve Mqueen runs pretty strong in that city.

Eric

·
Registered
451 Posts
Edit: I just realized that when I posted this I leapt right into my questions instead of first telling you how much I liked the story. A kill story with DETAILS! :smile: Common here, but not always so on other boards. Great story! Still, you've filled me with questions:

Ok, I have to say that I'm amazed at this. I'm not doubting you, just concerned that I'm not shifting for max power to the wheels even when I want to. Please tell me how you are shifting to get this kind of result. Yes, I understand that breaking traction is a waste for getting down the road faster. However, with ~500 miles on the car I chirped third by accident fairly often. I could break second free enough to briefly walk the rear around before it would catch. (Just enough to feel.) Lately, I can't chirp 3rd to save my life, and despite stories told here, I'm USUALLY pretty easy on the car. Even when I accelerate hard I don't try to peel or anything. (Though slightly chirping second is addictive, I'll admit.) If powershifting is defined as leaving the gas depressed during a shift, I don't do that either. Even when I'm speed shifting my gas foot comes all the way up. I don't go to the track (though sooner or later I may), and I really haven't had the opportunity to street race. I just like the intimidation factor of someone hearing 2nd and THEN 3rd chirp on my way out when I so choose. :smile:

I suppose a worn clutch would of course grab less sharply, but I really think I'm EASIER on my clutch than alot of folks are, and I don't think I toasted it sometime between 500 miles and 1500 miles. (Where I am now.)

Granted, it's hotter here now by 15 or so degrees, and I've been driving more in the hotter part of the day vs the early morning when I was on 12-8 shift. Could this alone account for it?

Great reading by the way!

Joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-08-04 21:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,

you must have overlooked the part of the story where I say it was foggy. The ground was just slightly moist, but enough so that traction was compromised. That's why I was so loose :smile: My girfriend in the pasenger seat practically pissed herself when the thing started fishtailing in third! It's a little scarier when you aren't in control

I have 3.73's installed and under normal circumstances second breaks for about 10-15 feet and I can get a healthy third gear bark! Prior to the gears I had a hard time catching third gear.

Eric

·
Registered
451 Posts
Whoops. Yeah, I got so carried away by the BMW-whooping that I failed to notice the part about the moist streets! :smile: Thanks for mentioning the 3.73's also. I've been thinking about adding 3.73's to my (very short, and a long time down the road) mod-wishlist. They are definitely there now!

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts