Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed today that the finish on #3926's tower strut brace looks like the finish is coming off. At first I thought it was dirt or rubbing from the hood, but closer examination reveled the finish gone in several locations (one about 3 inches long). I wiped it with a clean cloth and the towel came up black, but it was NOT dirt. Anybody else have this going on?

D

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
I think mine may be doing that also just not as big as that.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mine has bubbles forming under the paint on each side. Not the rails, just the plates that mount to the towers. I would say with certainty that they did not prep it well before painting it.

·
Car Whisperer
21,575 Posts
I would definitely check on that as the heat involved in p-coating could destroy your plate.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Frankenstang said:
I would definitely check on that as the heat involved in p-coating could destroy your plate.
That would be my concern.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Could be the hood liner rubbing against it slightly under load...
I'd say that if you desperately wanted to keep it in pristine, showroom condition, take it off and put it in a box...then buy an unbadged FRRP Strut tower brace (exactly the same part but without the Bullitt plate) and put that on for normal usage, swapping them back when/if you wanted to take the car to shows etc...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
digging this up again...

I had bad water spots on my strut brace, almost etched in I would say kinda splotches. I took it off to try and polish them out and I was successful....kinda I think either I took off some of the finsh or something? Now it is darker in the areas that I cleaned so I will just do the whole thing. It's not terrible looking just a bit darker shade than it's about as dark as some of the water spots where if anyones has water spots on theirs you will know about the color I am talking about. But in the end it looks all together better than it did before, it's all one Color no splotches.

·
Banned
11,692 Posts
fellows when i had the whipple blower installed,of course the strut brace would not fit back on.but i went to a machine shop i know and they made the necesarry cuts and refourcing needed to make it work.but during the process of cutting un welding the finish was destroyed.i sanded it down real good and painted it with napa high heat pant.looks great and has held up very good for 3.000 mi

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
bobnixon said:
fellows when i had the whipple blower installed,of course the strut brace would not fit back on.but i went to a machine shop i know and they made the necesarry cuts and refourcing needed to make it work.but during the process of cutting un welding the finish was destroyed.i sanded it down real good and painted it with napa high heat pant.looks great and has held up very good for 3.000 mi

I will see how mine looks after I put it back on, might just paint it like you said. thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
Dodging Bullitt said:
Sounds to me like it is just the aluminum oxidizing. Try cleaning with a good aluminum cleaner.
I don't think the brace is made of aluminum , only aluminum on it is the ID plate , other than that the whole brace is made of steel for strength , stick a fridge magnet to it and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
FlaFyrman said:
I don't think the brace is made of aluminum , only aluminum on it is the ID plate , other than that the whole brace is made of steel for strength , stick a fridge magnet to it and see what happens.
yes you are correct it is all steel.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Mine was refinished recently after battery corrosion was splattered all over my engine compartment. They masked off the plate carefully and sprayed and clear coated the STB, and it came out great. It looks a little different than original but nice.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Mine is now a bit darker, but better looking than all the water spots and scuff marks. I will leave it alone and see how we like it, nothing a can of spray paint won't fix. It might look good after I get my new cam covers installed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
#3993 said:
Here what mine looks like now, I don't think it looks too bad it has alot more shine to it now.

Mine looks exactly like yours. I want to have it re-powdercoated but I am afraid it might hurt the ID plate. I understand tape can be placed on the top of the ID plate but I am still a little concerned it might get damaged.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
richard said:
Mine looks exactly like yours. I want to have it re-powdercoated but I am afraid it might hurt the ID plate. I understand tape can be placed on the top of the ID plate but I am still a little concerned it might get damaged.
If it is masked off carefully it can be done. Mine was sprayed with silver and clear coated, and it looks great. You have to find someone you trust to do it right.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.