Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Strut tower finish coming off?

3K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Stangol 
digging this up again...

I had bad water spots on my strut brace, almost etched in I would say kinda splotches. I took it off to try and polish them out and I was successful....kinda I think either I took off some of the finsh or something? Now it is darker in the areas that I cleaned so I will just do the whole thing. It's not terrible looking just a bit darker shade than it's about as dark as some of the water spots where if anyones has water spots on theirs you will know about the color I am talking about. But in the end it looks all together better than it did before, it's all one Color no splotches.

bobnixon said:
fellows when i had the whipple blower installed,of course the strut brace would not fit back on.but i went to a machine shop i know and they made the necesarry cuts and refourcing needed to make it work.but during the process of cutting un welding the finish was destroyed.i sanded it down real good and painted it with napa high heat pant.looks great and has held up very good for 3.000 mi

I will see how mine looks after I put it back on, might just paint it like you said. thanks

FlaFyrman said:
I don't think the brace is made of aluminum , only aluminum on it is the ID plate , other than that the whole brace is made of steel for strength , stick a fridge magnet to it and see what happens.
yes you are correct it is all steel.

Mine is now a bit darker, but better looking than all the water spots and scuff marks. I will leave it alone and see how we like it, nothing a can of spray paint won't fix. It might look good after I get my new cam covers installed.

pwd72s said:
So, removing & replacing the strut has no affect on alignment when you undo the nuts?
I don't think so, I put the nuts back on nice and tight right after I pulled it off, been drivin around with it off for a few days while I was getting some work done. Frontend does not seem as stiff or tight with it off but that could just be me knowing it's not on. I am going to put it back on soon after I clean up under the hood.

richard said:
Mine looks exactly like yours. I want to have it re-powdercoated but I am afraid it might hurt the ID plate. I understand tape can be placed on the top of the ID plate but I am still a little concerned it might get damaged.
I am going to leave mine like it is it looks pretty good to me and kinda contrast with the color of the bullitt wheels and my new frpp black cam covers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.