Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah that's right, i'm one of them. early this morning i decided to go out driving, it was 1:30, so it was still dark. i pull up to the light (no competition...an eclipse, and an F-150) so i decide to work on my take-off. little did i know there was a constable on my 6. so i take off, squeeling the tires, and fish-tailing right through second gear and the intersection. when i catch headlights in my rear view, i'm thinking "cool! someone who'll race!" so, like the idiot that i am, i speed up. and what'll you know! that constable's car will keep up! so here i am barely ahead of the constable doing 85 in a 40, he catches up to me, rolls down his window, and points angrily to the next parking lot. so i pull into the parking lot of the Hobby Lobby. ya'll know the next part (license, insurance, etc.) he looks at me and proceeds to scold me, and then (this is the kicker folks) i caught him glance at my car, he continues to scold, then glances again this time longer. he then looks back down at me and says, "now i know you got this hot rod, but there is a time and a place for draggin', and it ain't out here" now ya'll tell me, you think he was being nice, or do you think he's a mustang lover deep down?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Must have been in a good mood. If he was a Mustang enthusiast, he would have gotten into a discussion with you about the Bullitt.
You were very lucky!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dont go to Cleburne and do that.I got plenty of tickets there when I was 18 the first time.They didnt let me go on anything.You were very lucky.Burlison wasnt much better.Go Yellow Jackets.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I'd have to say a little bit of both.
Not all cops are walking penises looking to write as many tickets as they can. They've all been there, they've done that and they know the feeling. He was probably light on you due to the late hour and relative lack of traffic. Most cops are decent enough people as long as you are ALWAYS respectful, and ALWAYS honest. I've gotten out of many, many tickets by simply giving the officer the respect he deserves and being completely honest with them.
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yes sir, it's because I was doing 90 in a 55."
"Are you in a hurry to get someplace?"
"No sir, it's just that I was the only one out here and the car just got the better of me."
"This isn't Indy son you need to slow it down."
"Yes sir."
"Is this one of those Bullitt Mustangs?"
"Why yes.. yes it is......." and so the story goes.

But in your case.. The best bet for you, if you really are trying to practice your launces, find a nice deserted and straight side road, Uninhabited of course. And hopefully far away from any houses (keep the noise down) and late at night. Never run through 3rd gear (you'll be going too fast) and if the police do show up, be honest.
"Well sir, I'm trying to figure out my launches here so I came way out here where I wouldn't bother anyone."
My friend and I used to do this all the time with his '85. Keeping the speed down is very important becasue they'll probably have been watching you make a couple runs before they trun on the lights and confront you. And it's kind of hard to make the case that you were just "Practicing launches" when you're running up to and over 100mph.
Bottom line is if you're going to run your car hard and off the track you owe it to yourself and everyone around you to do it as safely as possible.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It sounds like you got lucky. Maybe he was glad you weren't DUI. I got my share of speeding and "speed exhibition" tickets when I was in high school. Sometimes you just get lucky. He may have appreciated the car as well. My brother is a PA state trooper. He tells me that he's happy if the guy just pulls over and does as asked. Simple cooperation goes a long way sometimes.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You must have been cooperative, and innocent looking. A cop would have busted a smart mouth in a heartbeat. I would bet though, that he owns a muscle car himself. It seems he understood your urge for exceleration.

1,169 Posts
Some of the Bullitt Cops here can relate to this.....

A retired cop once told me, No one has ever talked there way out of a ticket BUT many have talked there way in to one.... :-B

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That is why i do not like to drag on the street at night you can never tell if there is a flat top around you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree you have been very lucky. Most cops are not walking two headed penises.
All I can say is I am glad in a way the the PA weather in my area has not been that great, so I put my Bullitt in the garage don't worry she has company 91' fox body, 94 coupe and 95 convert. Yes we have mustang fever all 3 are getting ready for drag season. BULLITT is completely stock except for a K&N filter happy with this for now but with the other 3 getting faster I will be saving for my supercharger. Getting back to speed racer, I know that if I was to drive my BULLITT #2998 for even another week I would be seeing those lights in my back window. Such a pleasure to drive you don't realize how fast your going or how you got the mileage to where it is at.
All you BULLITT buddies be safe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I am a cop and I would have pulled you over to please the Eclipse & F150 and said...."Good one dude!" at that time in the AM.! :grin:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,282 Posts
Welcome to the Club riva1 with Bullitt #2998! You will be put on the Registry in the "Bullittproof" Forum....

Vicki

1 - 12 of 12 Posts