Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between leaving the stock ones there or replacing them. There have been suspension mods done already to 0005 but nothing more than bolt ons. I'm assuming I have to remove the stock sfc's to weld in the aftermarket ones. Is the history and potential value of this car substantial enough that I shouldn't install aftermarket sfc's? Also keeping in mind that 99% of the driving is going to be light street driving, with an annual trek to New England Dragway should I even bother with them.
It does have Steeda lca's, would I see any benefit in street driving if I added the uppers also? I appreciate any responses....John R

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Upper Control Arms will make a lot of noise and be of no use to you the way you plan to use the car.
I don`t know if welded sub-frames will affect the value of the car in 2027 -37 when it MIGHT become collectable but, I put then in mine and couldn`t be happier.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
One thing about the Bullitt I would not be worried about is the potential value.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like sfc's are going in....What about the upper control arms, I've heard other people say the road noise can be an issue with these. The road noise doesn't matter to me so much, as the car will most likely end up with an SLP exhuast system on it at some point anyway. I just want to be sure it's worth spending the money on the uca's....John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay-looks like I'll be getting the steeda full length sfc's. The newer ones have the one piece cross braces with the gussets already welded, saves time and probably cleaner welds than I could have had done. On the upper control arms I checked MM's website and this is what they say about them...
Although Ford Racing Performance Parts claims their bushings to be "twice as stiff" as stock, our testing has shown that while they are much stiffer than Fox chassis bushings, they are identical to the 1994-04 bushings.
While for 1994-04 cars these control arms offer no improvement in performance, as they do on Fox chassis cars, they are a great value when replacing arms with damaged or aged bushings. Because rubber deteriorates simply from age, after several years the control arms are ready for replacement. High horsepower cars and those used for track events tend to damage bushings before they can degrade from age. These replacement control arms, along with the axle end bushings, are a great way to bring back or upgrade the performance of your Mustang.
Given the excellent reputation MM has I think I will defer to their (and several of you on IMBOC) opinion and replace the uppers with the FRPP units. I'm not sure if the bushings in mine are worn, but in the grand scheme of what I have into this car another $80.00 is not a big deal. The fact that MM doesn't offer an upgraded uca seems to say that they feel there is no measurable performance gain to be acheived by installing them, and in fact they also say that they can cause bind and add road noise as Doc Coffin already mentioned. Thanks for the help I'll order stuff today...John R

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Yah and the fact that the thing has allready been modded to the point of no return...well not really, but who the hell would go back to the dark side(stock) once they've seen the light(modds) lol

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Skip the UCA's. Weld in the SFC's and do the torque boxes at the same time, and pull off the quads to reduce friction. Much better street ride.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr.BULLITT said:
Yah and the fact that the thing has allready been modded to the point of no return...well not really, but who the hell would go back to the dark side(stock) once they've seen the light(modds) lol
Right you are Aaron....I am probably overthinking all this about not doing anything that isn't reversible. Mike gave me all of the original parts that were removed for the Vortech, but the wheels and transmission are long gone now. It really can never be returned to true original condition at this point. If this car is ever to be collectable it will be years from now. It probably isn't a good idea to run around with the supercharger for another 10 years without doing sfc's because by then the frame might be a mass of spaghetti anyway. Some body on here has a sig that says "I own my car, it does not own me...." I think I should take that to heart and make #0005 the way I want it and enjoy it. I'll let the chips fall where they may in 10 or 20 years or if I ever decide to sell....This site is like a support group, I swear lol

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lee50guru said:
Skip the UCA's. Weld in the SFC's and do the torque boxes at the same time, and pull off the quads to reduce friction. Much better street ride.
Can the torque boxes be welded from under the car or does the carpet need to come out? Also, keeping in mind that I will never run slicks, do I even need to worry about the torque boxes with or without the aftermarket uca's? And what about the quads-not much is mentioned about them in suspension threads. Do most people leave them on, and what would be the upside & downside of removing them? Thanks for your help....John R

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Torque boxes don't need to be welded but, since someone will be welding on the subframes why not, just makes things a bit stiffer. And yes they can be welded under the car, only weld a little at a time so as to not catch the carpet on fire or warp anything.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OKCBULLITT said:
Torque boxes don't need to be welded but, since someone will be welding on the subframes why not, just makes things a bit stiffer. And yes they can be welded under the car, only weld a little at a time so as to not catch the carpet on fire or warp anything.
Sounds good to me...I ordered the Steeda full length sfc's today. I'll have the boxes welded when the sfc's go in. That's all I plan to do underneath the car. Thanks for the advice....John R :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts