Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
For me the supercharger would be the ultimate mod. The Vortec system looks pretty good since it includes the fuel system upgrades and computer chip. One of those would make the car one hell of a sleeper. :cool: If you can afford it, I'd go for it! I'm still paying for the car but maybe if I ask Santa.... :wink:

Hankster, DHG No. 2634

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hblattel on 2001-09-20 00:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
937 Posts
What do you guys think of those twin turbo systems from TDC? Now would'nt that be a sleeper...? or would one be looking to blow up the motor with one of those...?

·
Registered
340 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-25 10:26, magnum347 wrote:
What do you guys think of those twin turbo systems from TDC? Now would'nt that be a sleeper...? or would one be looking to blow up the motor with one of those...?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I think your motor should be fine as long as you stay with there stage one or two. I would love to get a stage two on mine but that cost $4995. I need to pay mine off before that happens :smile:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-19 23:08, jacob67 wrote:
thinking about adding one-but which one. good idea or not?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll let you know the Bullitt responds to a Vortech. It should be installed next week, then I finally get it delivered.:smile:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Keep us posted, Barnaby. I am still trying to convince hubby I need a supercharger. You see, there's this cobra I'm trying to kill....

·
Registered
959 Posts
As a note for those thinking about forced induction, J&S has just released a new design knock sensor which is specifically for multi coil ignitions like ours. Now you can have knock sensor capability to protect the engine. You can check it out at:

www.safeguard.20m.com

Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have also been considering supercharging the car...I have a supercharger manifold for my 1950 mercury flathead which people freak out over so yes I am a strong believer in forced induction,My concern is I read somewhere the pistons in our bullitt motors are cast not forged,,is this true???can some one confirm if so ---no way mate.....I have seen several street-motors torn to shreds due to abuse ,,,,,the cast pistons just cant handle 9-10 lbs of boost in the long run???
we have to consider how long we will be keeping our cars too??? Any thoughts??

·
Registered
360 Posts
This has concerned me too, but I looked at a Saleen at my local Ford dealership last week and it has a supercharger. Saleen starts with a GT. I asked the salesman if the original pistons were still on it and he thought they were. It would be interesting to know what Saleen is doing. I would be more confident doing this mod. with that info.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just went to Saleen's website. They have a message board for tech. questions. Couldn't find anything concrete as to the piston question so I posted a question. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The problem is not necessarily the hyperuetectic pistons that Ford has been using. The problem typically is poor tuning and excessive boost causing detonation.

On the 01 GTs(and Bullitts) the issue is the increase in compression ratio. Some folks are treating 01s the same as 99-00 models and ending up having problems with the ring lands breaking. If you keep the boost to a nominal amount 8-10#s and use a safe tune with plenty of fuel it should last a long time. If you try to up the boost to 12+ then you may have problems.

Since my warranty will effectively be void as soon as I drive it off the lot I am looking into a fix for this issue on the 01s. I am hoping that I can just replace the pistons with lower compression(and forged for safety) and be able to leave the stock rods. I have also been thinking about water/alcohol injection. I'll let you all know what I find.

Brian, nice find. I'll be looking into that. The RX7 crowd have been using knock sensors for awile, for some reason we haven't.

BTW, both Saleen and Roush use stock internals in their blown cars(the exception being Saleens new "E" car).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts