Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone knows which would be better, or the pros and cons of each.

There is a company that was on Mustang weekly a while back that had turbo kits for late model 4.6 mod stangs.

SCs can be loud, and easily identified, where turbos are a bit more stealth-like (until they are spooled up) :smile:

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
From everything I've read so far TurboCharging should be the way to go.. It's a bit harder to install and more expensive at first but seems a better alternative.
The turbo's are also a lot easier on the engine. No need to ramp the boost up to the sky in order to get power. I believe I remember reading on TDC's or another site that a turbo generates as much HP at 6lbs of boost as a Blower at 9lb, and you essentialy turn the turbo off (with the boost control) when not in use.
Since it runs off the exhaust gasses there is no parasitic drain on the engine either.
If I were going with forced induction it's definitely the way I'd go.. IMHO..

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well, I've been driving and racing turbos for years. It's all about thermal management. I've never had a fire or problem. You have to heat shield the turbine side and have some airflow through the engine compartment. The Incon twin turbo setup is ideal because the turbos are down low where the manifolds are normally anyway, so heat isn't a problem. The single turbo setup by Turbo Driven Concepts puts a big 60-1 or bigger turbo way up front by the power steering resivoir and the coolant tank. I would be very concerned about the radiant heat in that location and one would really want to insulate the exhaust plumbing. Unfortunately, thermal wrapping of components shortens their life considerably.

Brian
FordBullitt #66

1 - 4 of 4 Posts