Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pro's and cons if any about supercharging ( adding a blower, ram charging , etc )to the Bullitt, also what's the approximete cost ? Do Ford dealers do it and if not where should I look to get it done, also what manufactures of equipment or parts is recommended ? and How much extra HP will you get from doing the above. One more thing does the hood or the scoop need to be modified to support a charger or blower?
Just wondering, I think I'm still in favor of keeping it all 100% stock knowing the purist that I am ! :cool:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Pros:
1) Power, power and more POWER. :grin:
2) Blower whine at idle (my wife thinks this is a con)

Cons:
1) Expensive.
2) This will void your drivetrain warranty.
3) Possibility of blowing your engine. I would not do this unless you have the money to rebuild the engine with forged pistons and stronger rods.
4) More maintenance. You need to run premium gasoline and change your oil religiously. Also, change your fuel filter often - maybe every 10,000 miles? Your tires and clutch will probably wear more faster.

The cost depends on what you want. You can gat a basic Paxton supercharger kit for $3450. You can probably find a Vortech kit for slightly less. Houston Performance charged $450 for the install. You can also get an aftercooler which adds more power but costs more. I got a custom chip burned for my car, which also required that I replace the stock H pipe so that the air/fuel sensors could be hooked up. Here is the cost (note that I installed 4.10 gears also since the speedometer could be corrected as part of the chip burn):

Paxton NOVI 1000 supercharger $3450
4.10 gears, install, Royal Purple, speedo $400
re-burn chip $260
install supercharger $450
Bassini x-pipe w/ cats $399
install x pipe $75
tax 279.05
total $5313.05 (BTW, my wife read my post under mods and I was about $1300 over budget, she pretended to be pissed :eek:)

BTW, I would definitely get a custom tune and not use the chip supplied w/ the supercharger. My next mod is to get a Pro-M air flow meter which will allow me to get a better tune.

The manufacturers that make superchargers for the Bullitt are Paxton (centrifugal, w/ or w/o aftercooler), Vortech (centrifugal, w/ or w/o aftercooler), and Pro-Charger (centrifugal w/ aftercooler). Saleen makes a positive displacement blower for mustang GTs that might be adapted for a Bullitt, but it is not made specifically for the bullitt. The Paxton and Vortech kits should work fine on the Bullitt with a custom tune. I don't know anything about the ProCharger kit for the Bullitt, but I do know that their mustang GT kits have been having problems. The GT Pro-Chargers make a LOT of power, but leak oil and blow engines. Go over to Stangnet or The Corral and do a search on Pro-Charger to see what I am talking about. I would hope that Pro-Charger would have the oil leak problem fixed by now. I am not sure why several 1999-2001 mustang GTs have grenaded their engines with the Pro-Charger, all I have been able to determine is that these were very high horsepower cars and the 2001 engines seem to especially prone to this problem. If you go with a Pro-Charger, I would make sure that the oil seal problem is fixed, try to limit engine horsepower to around 400 and that you have a tuner install it who is familiar with Pro-Chargers.

My car was dynoed at 318 rwhp which is 365 hp at the engine. I believe the Vortech kit with the aftercooler produces 400 hp at the engine. I would not go higher than this without strengthening the engine internals.

These kits will not reqire a hood scoop.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps. I did a lot of research on superchargers before I bought my bullitt.

DHG #1277
Paxton NOVI 1000 Supercharger
Bassini X pipe w/ cats
4.10 gears

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McQ Stang on 2001-09-02 15:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
McQ, You've gotta post with some 1/4 mile times!
Also how many rpms to you turn going down the hiway with the 4.10s?

Bone Stock (150 miles)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy, Thanks much for your in depth information on SuperChargers, I think you made my mind up for sure NOT to do it. Maybe if I was mechinacally inclined and had the time and money to put in to it, not to mention the extra time and money for maintenance after it's done, I might think about it but since I don't it's a closed issue for me anyway but I'm sure all your info in your post will be of help to some one out there. Again thanks!
Frank and his 100% Stock :bullitt: and likely to stay that way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krankiekat on 2001-09-02 16:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krankiekat on 2001-09-02 16:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krankiekat on 2001-09-02 16:12 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts